Permission Help - Going to try MDing Ty Cobbs former home

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Permission Help - Going to try MD'ing Ty Cobb's former home

Ty Cobb... Greatest baseball player of ALL TIME... End of discussion...

Born just south of here in Banks County. Grew up in Royston. Had a retirement home in my hometown of Cornelia. His funeral services were held here before he was taken to Royston for burial.

Anyway, this old and historic home where he spent his some of his "Golden Years" is about a 2 min. drive from my home. I doubt I will find anything baseball related, but one thing I have going for me was that Ty liked to drink. Perhaps he got wasted and spilled some nice coins or jewelry out there in the yard. I seriously doubt he had any caches buried, as he more than likely put all his money in banks. When he checked into Emory Hospital in Atlanta to die he carried in a paper sack full of over 1 million dollars worth of negotiable bonds. Dude was a heavy hitter in the stock market. When he passed away in 1961 he was worth at least $11,780,000, which adjusted for inflation today would be almost 87 million.

Anyway, this will be the first piece of private property I have approached where I did not know the owner, and I am looking for some tips on how to ask permission - and get it. It's like a bed and breakfast now that hosts weddings and events.

Any advice on how to get on this property for some metal detecting would be greatly appreciated. What should I do to better my chances of being able to hunt there? What steps do I need to take?

Gracias.

Hombre

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Re: Permission Help - Going to try MD'ing Ty Cobb's former home

Get a haircut and a shave Tuco.

Then ask for a room. Carry your gear in and make some conversation with the host about your love of history and finding things old and unique.

Hey, then do a repeat performance of what you tried to read off that old wooden cross over the grave with the gold in it!

And remember, you're no Bill Carson!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sneaky..... but works...... take a kid with you that has his own detector. Younger than 10. TTC

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC said:
Sneaky..... but works...... take a kid with you that has his own detector. Younger than 10. TTC

That is classic Terry! Ingenious & downright evil, underhanded & devoid of any class. I'll be trying that technique first chance I get :laughing7: :laughing9: :tongue3: :thumbsup:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

I got permission to work the Almighty's lawn a few years back. It's easy. Just ask for forgiveness.

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

You need to read the book "Cobb".... He was totally nuts... I wouldn't be surprised if he hid money everywhere on his property... He didn't trust anyone...

Enki

Sep 13, 2011

TerryC said:
thats what I did when I bought my MD off a guy last week....I talked him down from $250....all the way to $150...I told him it would be my sons first MD...I told him cmon make a kid happy.....little did he know the kid he made happy was me a 39 yr old...my son laughed on the ride home...he said dad your mean to lie to the guy...I said son thats how you negotiate.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck ! If all else fairs offer to split the loot!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Enki said:
TerryC said:
thats what I did when I bought my MD off a guy last week....I talked him down from $250....all the way to $150...I told him it would be my sons first MD...I told him cmon make a kid happy.....little did he know the kid he made happy was me a 39 yr old...my son laughed on the ride home...he said dad your mean to lie to the guy...I said son thats how you negotiate.
Your joking, right?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Anyway, this will be the first piece of private property I have approached where I did not know the owner, and I am looking for some tips on how to ask permission - and get it. It's like a bed and breakfast now that hosts weddings and events.

If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread