I dont like to complain much, but sometimes...

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like to complain much, but sometimes...

I may be whining I don't know. But there is a very nice grove owned by my uncle, I am the only one with permission to detect it, and it is posted. I've had alot of extra time recently, so I guess I've been noticed and implanted the idea in others heads which under normal circumstance would just be friendly competition. However in the past two weeks two people have been kicked out detecting without permission. I found out Sunday, got back there for the first time today.

6-7 dead patches, humped up half replaced large "plugs" spread out over the entire grove area. About 1' away from two dead patches I did find a clad quarter at 7" so apparently we can add to the list of things they can't do well; ask permission, dig plugs, find targets. Sad thing is if they asked permission I'd probably get asked first by my cousin, and would be more than willing to share and help. There is alot of nice history to the grove including gypsies camping out there in 1910.

Ok I'm done. I'm sorry just a little ticked after seeing the carnage.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I don't like to complain much, but sometimes...

Some of us hunters are our own worst enemy.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

If specific research or old-timer stories indicate that this particular grove is indeed a hot spot, it will have already been detected many many times thru the years, unbeknown to anyone. And probably will be for many many years to come. I have a friend that owns land in VA that has known civil war activity. He cannot keep people out of his land short of calling the police every day. As far as the clad quarter, that piece was not dug on purpose.

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's right on the road(back) and down the street from the house, which is the road traveled non stop all day between his two farms, been in the family since 1912. They see when people are there eventually, it's usually fishing or swimming, this is the first times for metal detecting. Like I said I've been off work and hitting it more than usual and probably inspired some.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

If posted, and nobody cares, now it's war. Get to know and call the local police. Problem solved. After all, it is private property and it's posted. Nothing like having a private metal detecting paradise to rule over. There are millions of other places to go. If they want to break the law and trespass, its because they can. But not for long.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

If this is an ongoing problem, it would appear that you need to make an example of one of the trespassers. I agree with calling the police and having the tresspasser cited. The word will get out to stay away from that 'posted' area.

Ray S ECenFL

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Next time you need to keep you mouth shut about any place you don't want people "jumping your claim".

Live and learn.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro

Jason in Enid said:
Next time you need to keep you mouth shut about any place you don't want people "jumping your claim".

Live and learn.

Jason, it didn't sound to me that he told anyone. Others just saw him detecting in the grove that belongs to his family and that he has permission to detect on. They decided that they would trespass on that land uninvited without permission and leave a mess of poorly filled holes or dug holes that were not filled at all.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

theseeker said:
Jason in Enid said:

Live and learn.

Jason, it didn't sound to me that he told anyone. Others just saw him detecting in the grove that belongs to his family and that he has permission to detect on. They decided that they would trespass on that land uninvited without permission and leave a mess of poorly filled holes or dug holes that were not filled at all.

Oops, I thought I read that he had told some people. My mistake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread