Need some advice

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
Hi all. I al new to metal detecting. In fact just got my first detector yesterday. Decided to give it a try in my back yard. Spent two hours and only dug two holes. If anyone could give me some advice on a couple of questions I have. 1st question: I am having a hard time, once my detector Picks up on something I don't know where to start my dig. I dug two huge wholes in my yard and my husband wasn't too happy about it lol. So how do I know how big to start my hole.

2nd question is. When my detector starts pinging how do I determine where the object is? Do I go by the middle of the coil, the top of the coil , or the back of the coil. Please help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated x

Upvote 0

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Hi and welcome to the forum! It would help if we knew what model of detector you are using. Also, most searchcoils have an X marked in the center of the coil and your target should be directly beneath the X when your signal is the strongest or loudest when passing over your target. Also, many detectors have a pinpointing mode which would have a button or trigger marked as such.

I hope this helps.

Rusty

OP
OP
A

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
I have a Garrett 350. And I thank you for that. I had no idea there was an x on the bottom. And I do have a pinpointing button on mine. Just still trying to figure out how to use it

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
There are several good video's on youtube on pinpointing, digging plugs and about specific detectors. Good luck and welcome to Tnet :thumbsup:

HH Charlie

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net and the world of ground fishing. :wink:

Work your target slowly. Try to figure out a line where it is then approach it from a 90 degree different angle and do the same. The pinpointer on your machine will work quite well. Did you watch the video that came with it? Do so and hit youtube for many others.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manual.....video.....youtube. :icon_thumleft:

moah4me

Aug 24, 2011
caledonia new york
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
start by putting a penny dime etc on the ground and watch the coil and the target and see were it hits do this a few times and you should be able to understand were the target is in relationship to the coil. have fun with your new purchase and don't give up its a wounderfull hobby enjoy!

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
You should go to the Garrett metal detectors website and click on the instructional videos for the Ace 350 and watch the pinpointing video. If you have the standard DD coil you will see that the X would be in the first square in front of where the shaft connects to the searchcoil and pressing the pinpointing button will give you the strongest signal when that X is directly over your target. You actually have to refine your pinpointing technique a little more than that but this is a good starting point and you will master it in no time.

Rusty

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, here's how they work. If any metal object is under any part of the coil, it sounds off.
Now swing your coil side to side as you walk forward. When it sounds off, back up about a foot and move the coil straight forward to the point where it sounded. as soon as it sounds, stop, it is under the lead edge of the coil. Note this location!! Now repeat this process on the other 3 sides of the target. You have now narrowed it down to the exact location of the target. You can use the built in pinpointer also. Read your manual for this. Happy hunting Frank

OP
OP
A

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
Thank you all so much for the helpful advice. I have been out 2 days in a row and I keep hitting on targets , and I am digging craters and finding nothing. I am starting to get frustrated lol. I know it has only been a couPle of days but it is still aggravating. I watch the videos on you tube where someone hits a target and digs a tiny hole and there it is. Gonna keep practicing and hopefully I can get this down lol.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
My biggest mistake was running my sensitivity too high when I first started. If it's too high you will get a lot of false signals. Keep practicing, it gets better I promise.

HH Charlie

OP
OP
A

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
I keep my sensitivity down two bars from full. Is this too high?

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Akp43 said:
I keep my sensitivity down two bars from full. Is this too high?

I've never used your machine but I have an Ace 250 and 4 bars ( about 1/2) is usually what I run it on. It depends on the area...if there is a lot of trash like foil and pull tabs 3 to 4 bars is ok but if it is a field or in the woods 5 to 6 bars is ok. Like I said it takes practice, I've had mine for 3 years now and I'm still learning.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
The 350 comes stock with a bigger coil than the 250. Targets in your own yard can be coins left by others of course but also roofing nails and other nails it took to build your house. At a park where there's lots of people and the pull tabs they leave, your coil might be toooooo big. At some parks with my ACE 250 the stock coil (6.5 x 9) is also tooooo big and I have to downsize to the sniper coil.

Tell you what I'd do as a newbie in your situation....1. turn your sensitivity down another notch and....2. run your coil over a piece of your yard that has NO targets or any metal and put a coin down right on top if the dirt or grass and run your coil over it. I once buried a penny, dime, nickel, and quarter about 2" beneath the soil about 2 feet apart and sprayed a quick shot of flourescent paint where it was. Run you coil over it to find it and use your pinpointer to learn where it hits. It's very similar to an "air test" except your coin (or jewelry) is 2" under the soil. That should help.

You have a good coil for depth and should work fine, particularly in the RELIC mode but a smaller coil might be your next purchase or....don't make me say it....THE GARRETT PROPOINTER! About 90% of the time my wife hunts with me. We no longer argue over the propointer....we now have 2 of them!! No more crumbling up a dirt clod with your hands just to find the coin. Run the propointer over the clod and find which side it's on (if nothing is read in the dirt clod then run the propointer down in the hole and see if it's still in the ground....and see which side of the hole it's in...see how it saves time?).

dwentzel228

Greenie
Jun 25, 2011
Sounds like you could use a Propointer. You may also wanna try placing a coin in a known location. Making it with a stick or plastic. You can learn off of this, they call this a test plot. You can then add other items so you know what a good signal sounds like right next too a iron signal.-

OP
OP
A

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
I have read and researched the propounded and that is definitely my next purchase.

OP
OP
A

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
No, I am using a metal one. Should I not use the metal one? And I did go buy a Garrett propointer today. And it really does make a difference for me. Not great finds today, but at least I found stuff lol. An old mason jar lid, a pop can, and a wheat penny. 1957. So not a total loss :-)

OP
OP
A

Akp43

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
Another question I have ( I seem to have a lot of those don't I). How come my detector will Ping and tell me a dime and when I dig my propointer gives me nothing?

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about the questions but if you watch some videos many of them will be answered.

When I decide to dig a target I set my detector down about a foot from the hole. Then I take my plastic scoop and wave a scoop full of dirt over the machine. If no tone then I discard and take another. If I get a tone then I spill half into my hand and wave again, repeating the process until I find the target. A metal scoop won't let you do this. Start with the video that came with the 350.

best of luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions