TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: On the Florida Gulf Coast, outside of state parks, is it okay to detect belo

Anywhere there is a Coast then you can hunt with a Metal Detector,
But in the State Parks I would let them know you are going to be on the beach, because
the parks themselves are off limits. (not the beaches in the parks)
We were down there a month ago, and hunted the state park beaches outside of Sabastan..
Stop by the Mc Carty museum its great !

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: On the Florida Gulf Coast, outside of state parks, is it okay to detect belo

And to answer your question..
No we did not find any of that fleet treasure.... :D

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

I think this is where it gets a little confusing.? This is my interpretation and may be completely wrong.

- You can detect on the beaches from the dunes to the mean low water line.

- You cannot detect in the water in state parks or areas that have admiralty claims to shipwrecks.

- But Florida has laid claim to artifacts and treasures in all State Waters. Techincally the water at the beach is state property.

I have seen many people detecting outside these areas, up to waist and chest, no problem. However, diving may be a different issue.

Robert in SC

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida

I went to Honey Moon Island State park in Dunedin Florida and asked. They said I could detect any where except the dunes. The dunes are clearly marked so that no one goes on them, Bird sanctuary or some other BS. I have also heard that you cannot detect in the water but haven't researched it yet. Called Fort Desoto park and they said I could detect only with a free permit obtained at the entrance to the park.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have done lots of research on this subject. See my post in ?SHIPWRECKS?, ?Treasure Salvage Laws?. The rules of engagement are the same for both the east and west coast of Florida.

Happy Hunting

Q

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions