gold3.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 948
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many say gold is where you find it. As for if you are just thinking of buying this property just to look for gold because of the price right now, you have the wrong hobby.

OP
OP
M

Magnix

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
Sandman said:
Many say gold is where you find it. As for if you are just thinking of buying this property just to look for gold because of the price right now, you have the wrong hobby.

??? Im not sure I understand what you're saying. I have several gold-mining claims and found gold nuggets in the rivers/streams in the Colorado/CA area for years (and its my hobby! :-)), and I decided to find something different in the desert like in New Mexico and Arizona. I have never been to NM before. I just want some opinions on this one. Thanks.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Magnix said:
Sandman said:

??? Im not sure I understand what you're saying. I have several gold-mining claims and found gold nuggets in the rivers/streams in the Colorado/CA area for years (and its my hobby! :-)), and I decided to find something different in the desert like in New Mexico and Arizona. I have never been to NM before. I just want some opinions on this one. Thanks.
Well i guess if there is Gold ther it will be a good place................ If there is no gold there it will not be a good place............... Any place i hunt i have to check it out first then i still don't know if there is any thing there................ I can't tell by a picture......................

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have to do testing to see how much gold or any is in what percent to see if it is worth your time. I assumed since you posted not in the prospecting forum section you were asking for help as a hobbist metal detectorist.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful high desert country with water on it....... probably no surface appropriation rights unless the seller says so and can prove it, but you can probably drill a well. Is there a road to it with right of way?

If your question is about gold, and not real estate as such, the photo is just about irrelevant. You've gotta go there in person and do some intelligent geological investigation. And make sure that mineral rights go with the land.

--Dave J.

PS: the predominantly horizontal bedding of the rock ain't looking too promising. Doesn't make gold impossible, but makes it less likely a geological setting favorable to gold. I presume you know where the location is-- look it up on a geological map. What's the geology? Is it in a known mining district? Asking if it looks good in a photo is the wrong place to start unless you're actually the seller posing as a prospective buyer. That is some beautiful high desert!

OP
OP
M

Magnix

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
Ok, I contacted the owner of this property and they said they found fine gold and lots of quartz gold rocks. So what does that mean to you? Thanks!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this was a great gold property, why would they sell it? Are you just messing with us? I get the felling that you thought it looked like a great gold spot and thought everyone else would agree. :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnix said:
Ok, I contacted the owner of this property and they said they found fine gold and lots of quartz gold rocks. So what does that mean to you? Thanks!

I would think the owners want to unload this property at as high a price they can get for a bunch of sand and rocks.

OP
OP
M

Magnix

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
Sandman said:
Magnix said:

I would think the owners want to unload this property at as high a price they can get for a bunch of sand and rocks.

Yep, thats possible, but claiming this 80 acres land with many active lode and placers wouldnt hurt for me financially. Wish me luck and I find something Ill post on T.N.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Things keep not adding up. Owner hasn't claimed it? You're going to make money by buying it, then claiming it, i.e., not by hard work? You mention "active lodes" but the owner says nothing about mining history? You're familiar with gold in Colorado, yet a photo of a pretty desert canyon in NM has you completely hornswoggled?

Here's some questions you should be asking.

1. What is it that the owner actually says he owns, that he's trying to sell? What is it that the owner doesn't actually own, that you'd be screwed without?

2. What do geology maps show?

3. What is the mining history?

4. What do public records say about ownership of the plot in question?

5. If your Internet and publication research doesn't contradict what the seller is representing, what do you plan to do with the property once you buy it, and does that plan make any economic sense?

Until you've done that much, there's not even much point in visiting the site. If having done your homework you think it's worthwhile to visit the site, more questions.

1. How do you plan to assay samples and estimate the gold values on the property?

2. How do you protect yourself from the possibility of being a victim of "salting"?

3. Do the costs producing gold make the proposition economically worthwhile?

Magnix, if you'd have posted your question in the gold forum where it belongs, the folks who have experience with gold scams would be giving you a much harder time than what you're getting here. And maybe that's why the thread is here, not there? I'll get straight to the point: your posts don't sound like they're coming from a prospective buyer, they sound like seller's salespitch being misrepresented as coming from a prospective buyer. Either way, it's caveat emptor time.

--Dave J.

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
I'd say do your research before you buy any land. There are archives on staked claims, usually kept by the same people that you go through to stake the claims. You might try the Forestry Service, and you might be able to get the total amounts of precious metals pulled as well as specific locations for claims. Local newspapers might give clues as to where ghost towns might be located in that area, and you can go from there to determine where those claims might have been. I wouldn't try to find "virgin" gold unless it is located near an older claim(within 100 meters or closer) just due to the fact that our forefathers walked over almost every foot of this great nation in search of gold and silver.

OP
OP
M

Magnix

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
I decided not to buy it based on you guys' experience and good advices. Thanks! Im still looking around...maybe in CO, NV, and CA.

msimpson

Jul 17, 2011
Ramona, California
Detector(s) used
DFX, GMT
Magnix said:
I decided not to buy it based on you guys' experience and good advices. Thanks! Im still looking around...maybe in CO, NV, and CA.

I saw this claim posted on eBay. I've been looking at claims as well. The other location I was looking at was the placer field in Nevada. There were 4 in the area that I was interested in. What it came down to is that I realized I would never make a trip that far, that many times, and finding gold is time consuming and usually does not pay.

I instead chose to join the GPAA and then I have access to 100s of claims. One right down from my home. This means I can go to any one of them and it cost ~$80/year. GPAA will also quit a claim if gold is no longer being found.

M

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
msimpson said:
Magnix said:

I saw this claim posted on eBay. I've been looking at claims as well. The other location I was looking at was the placer field in Nevada. There were 4 in the area that I was interested in. What it came down to is that I realized I would never make a trip that far, that many times, and finding gold is time consuming and usually does not pay.

I instead chose to join the GPAA and then I have access to 100s of claims. One right down from my home. This means I can go to any one of them and it cost ~$80/year. GPAA will also quit a claim if gold is no longer being found.

M
:icon_thumright:..Smart man ..

OP
OP
M

Magnix

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
msimpson said:
Magnix said:

Yeah, Im looking on couple of items on ebay that sells claims in NV too, but Im in Texas and Im not sure if this going to be worth bidding on. Also in Texas, there are 100s of metal detecting clubs. Im having a hard time finding a good one. I dont want to take my boys to a lame clubs. I like that "...access to their 100's claims with GPAA". Its sucks in Texas or maybe Im not looking hard enough.

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Until it was mentioned I had all but forgot about the GPAA. Only reason I haven't joined yet is that I'm in the military and can't really do anything with it yet. I retire in about 3 and half years though, and when I do, it's on. I encourage you to actually visit the sites you are looking at, talk with the oldtimers and look through the claims that have been registered with the forestry service. You can find out a lot through those 2 sources. The GPAA is a primo source as they have exclusive claims for members in most of the 50 states, claims that produce still.
Again, when you do start finding stuff, let us know. I really enjoy the stories, it's encouraging to hear others success at the hobby.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnix said:
Sandman said:

You're an experienced prospector with multiple claims and you are asking questions like these? Doesn't add up.

If you are buying claims from Ebay, you SERIOUSLY need to rethink your hobby.

OP
OP
M

Magnix

Greenie
Aug 25, 2011
You're an experienced prospector with multiple claims and you are asking questions like these? Doesn't add up.

If you are buying claims from Ebay, you SERIOUSLY need to rethink your hobby.

I have been doing this for years since I was a young and why should I rethink my hobby?? I bought several claims on ebay with the same seller (with 100% feedbacks) and went to all of the lands up in CO and CA and found good bunch of gold nuggets! This guy is legit.

I have seen claims with high prices outside of ebay. Its too expensive for me. If you can afford $5000 - $100K claims - good for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread