Tesoro Silver uMax or Teknetic Delta 4000 advice

snoop101

Greenie
Sep 17, 2009
Calgary, AB
Hello

So I have narrowed my search down to the Tesoro Silver uMax or Teknetic Delta 4000. What I know so far is that they both are well loved machines with the Tesoro coming off strong with a lifetime warranty. I have done my research as much as I could as a beginner to metal detecting. I have a few question that would swing me on one way or another. Is the depth on the Tesoro a huge difference over the Delta? Is it enough to make a difference? How about speed, is the Tesoro much faster to the point that it makes a difference?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not used the other -- but have used the uMax extensively -- it's super quick in recovery time and the discrimination is right on the money. Lightweight unit, lifetime warranty, good depth. I use the stock 8" coil on mine, no problem with targets up to 8" or so.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the other side of the coin , I have a Delta 4000 and I am extremely pleased with it.It is very lightweight.It has the VDI display and tone. The recovery is fast and the pinpointing is awesome. I hit a quarter at 8" with the factory descrimination setting and the sensitivity at 8(it goes to 12). I recently hunted a park that I had hunted a couple years ago with a Garrett 1350 and the Delta found things that the Garrett left behind. I can't speak on the Tesoro Umax but the Delta, to me, is the best bang for the buck. I think that Teknetics is throwing in a pinpointer and a carrying bag :thumbsup: with the purchase of a new Delta right now. The Delta comes with a 5 year warranty.

Left4Dead

Greenie
Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Ace 250
This is a great topic!!!

I have a delta 4k, and have been looking at cibola's And or silver umax.

Compared to ace 250, pluses-the delta has awesome vid numbers , larger display, volume contol,much easier to detect good targets next to bad using all metal mode and watching numbers.

Minuses- delta is way more sensitive around tot lots metal, and interference, also vid do not lock in as deep,

I really want to know if I could I could detect without the vid, just hear the tone and know what it might be, I guess I would set my discrim right above foil, and only dig good repeating tones?

Do the tesoro's do the quite swing one way and solid tone the other dose that mean trash?

I really want one, tesoro
Just need help convincing ..

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, I keep my disc set just above iron, when I get a signal I move it up to zinc penny. If the signal stays solid I dig it, if the signal breaks up I move the disc back down until the the tone is solid again. At that point I size up the target , check to see where it breaks up at on the disc knob,make a prediction and dig it up.

Left4Dead

Greenie
Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Ace 250
RJH02 said:
Hi, I keep my disc set just above iron, when I get a signal I move it up to zinc penny. If the signal stays solid I dig it, if the signal breaks up I move the disc back down until the the tone is solid again. At that point I size up the target , check to see where it breaks up at on the disc knob,make a prediction and dig it up.

That just seems like a pain to do on every target,let alone more time? Is it?

OP
OP
S

snoop101

Greenie
Sep 17, 2009
Calgary, AB
Ended up ordering a Tesoro Silver uMax today. With all the good reviews on it and lifetime warranty I think it was best. Shouldent take me to long to learn how to use sound and not a read out. This is my first detector as well.

Dianap

Jun 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone else want to buy a used Umax with extra 12x10 coil in very good cond. PM please
I am new to this site and tried to pm you, but don't know how. If you still this for sale, please contact me with info :)

Ironsights

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site and tried to pm you, but don't know how. If you still this for sale, please contact me with info :)

Considering the thread is 3 years old, it's unlikely that it's still available.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread