Now The Pressure Is On

Enki

Sep 13, 2011
So as I posted I bought the ace 350 and was having difficulty locating targets. So with some advice from great people here and from practicing I have gotten a little better. Went around 2 parks in Quincy, MA and found a few pennies and a dime and nickel. Nothing old at all, all recent dated coins. What surprised me is I found a 2004 nickel like 4 inches down in a baseball field. I also found an old mood ring....was hoping it was silver but can't see any sterling or 925 markings.

So now I convinced my wife that if I buy a pro pointer I will find more goodies, in fact I said my finds will pay for the MD and pointer in record time...so now the pressure is on...lol

Do you guys search baseball/softball fields? I find there are way to many bottle caps/tabs....I am planning to go to the beach tomorrow for first time with MD...any good advice? besides going during low tide of course. TIA

Upvote 0

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Enki said:
So as I posted I bought the ace 350 and was having difficulty locating targets. So with some advice from great people here and from practicing I have gotten a little better. Went around 2 parks in Quincy, MA and found a few pennies and a dime and nickel. Nothing old at all, all recent dated coins. What surprised me is I found a 2004 nickel like 4 inches down in a baseball field. I also found an old mood ring....was hoping it was silver but can't see any sterling or 925 markings.

So now I convinced my wife that if I buy a pro pointer I will find more goodies, in fact I said my finds will pay for the MD and pointer in record time...so now the pressure is on...lol

Do you guys search baseball/softball fields? I find there are way to many bottle caps/tabs....I am planning to go to the beach tomorrow for first time with MD...any good advice? besides going during low tide of course. TIA

The ProPointer, or any pinpointer will help you recover your target quicker, so you're back hunting quicker...
The nickel at 4" can be explained... The grass is cut and fertilized often on playing fields. They may also aerate it and spread a thin a thin layer of sand to help smooth it out.

I personally have not done too many playing fields. Anywhere there are bottle caps and pulltabs, there's a good chance to find something good! Nobody else has been there and the tabs may be masking something good below. Not to mention the pulltabs give a similar signal to gold, so best adivce I can give, DIG IT ALL!

As for beach, work during low tide time, hour before to hour after. Work the dry sand "towel line".

Jerry-Wi

Mar 21, 2009
It looks like you are learning your detector. As you are finding out, the more you learn, the more fun it is.

Sports fields offer several aspects. In general, it is the spectator areas that produce the most finds. In the case of foot ball fields, it really depends on the layout of the field. Grassy areas behind or on either side of a grandstand are often quite good. A lane which funnels people into a confined area going to the grandstands are also good. Hill sides overlooking a field are worth checking out. The steeper the better.

I do not go on the playing field at any time during the season for that sport. But I do pay attention to what goes on with that field. For example baseball fields where they play in street clothes are often quite good since this means that they have things in their pockets that fall out when they sit down. In particular the near outfield behind second base and over to behind first base. Have not had as much luck between 2nd and 3rd for some reason. The fields where they play in league uniforms do not produce as much but can still be good for rings.

Above all, be very neat and leave no signs that you have been there.

Jerry

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep hunting. Learn your detector's tricks. Do research to find the older areas that are still accessible. Talk to homeowners to get permission. Or just go to the beach and dig everything!

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread