about my family treasure

hunterx

Aug 20, 2011
I have spent 12 weeks researching the location of my family treasure.

luckly, we found some clues. the treasure is the gold which is about 120-160 pounds and buried at about 5-7 feet underground and installed in the sheepskin wallets for about 130 years.

I have never used a metal detector before, but according to my observation, most metal detector are designed to detect the coin which is just buried in the superficial layers.

I want to know which type of the matel detector can find my treasure... ::)

Upvote 0

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not familiar with them, but I would say you need a two-box unit. The kind people use to search for caches. Large targets deep in the ground.

-Swartzie

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Any metal detector will find your treasure ... if it is close enough.

Most treasures would not be 5-7 feet deep as you state. Sounds more like a gravesite.

You need to look at either a Pulse/Induction detector, or a 2-box detector/magnetometer. The pulse/induction will detect any metal object up to 1200 feet deep. It will not discriminate (to my knowledge) between a bobby pin and 100 pounds of gold; between a nail and a gold ring.

If there really is that much weight of gold, it should signal over a wider area, though.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The vast majority of caches are buried no more than armpit reach, and most of these are within elbow reach and I bet your family treasure is gone by now.

bojangles

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Geo Western EM83, Maxi Pulse Plus, Maxi Pulse 5000, Mother Load Locator (Resistivity), Whites UL-3, Magnum Force 25" deep seeking coil, Jeo Hunter, Minelab Excalibur, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, PDF1000, PPL
Hello! Sounds like a great t-hunting lead.

I recommend a Maxi Pulse Plus, made by Fitzgeralds (treasurenow.com). It is one of the best pulse detectors around in my humble opinion. There are some good detectors made over in Europe as well.

Pulse units are great for your supposed cache. I would search with a low frequency hand held detector first, and if the search comes up empty, seek the bigger guns of the pulse detector. Keep in mind that over the years, that gold may have sunk even more (maybe a couple feet?), depending on your geological makeup and surface habitat. Your target can be much deeper than you think. Once you master the technique of how to use a pulse detector, I think it may be the only deep seeker that you may ever need ;)

The reasons why I like the Maxi Pulse Plus are many. It can break down to travel with very easily, I can use the large 40" coil for large surface targets down to 22-26ft. I can use a smaller configuration of the coil (20") and search for smaller surface targets down to 8-10ft. It is lightweight, and extremely easy to use with its 1 knob operation. And, the support of Fitzgeralds is second to none. Compared with other pulse units, I'd say you would save some $$ by going with the Maxi Pulse Plus ... they are something like $1400-$1500 verses $2000-$6000.

Good luck with your search and PM me if you wanna share your recovery story ;)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this, sock-puppet spam? One account asking a rediculous question, then another saying what a miracle product XXX is to solve the original question? Targets detection to 20+ feet? PURE BS!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
What is this, sock-puppet spam? One account asking a rediculous question, then another saying what a miracle product XXX is to solve the original question? Targets detection to 20+ feet? PURE BS!
I think you busted him, look at the post count. Second post sounds just like a sales pitch. I didnt know about this tactic, thanks. :icon_thumleft:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Jason in Enid said:
Not BS, Jason. Pulse induction detectors exist. In fresh or salt water, at least one detector claims detection of objects to 100 feet depth with an 8-inch coil. Larger coils should allow for deeper objects if they are needed. Used to find ore bodies inside mines via triangulation. Towed magnetometers used for searching for the Brother Jonathan were used at depths well over 1,000 feet. Mel Fischer was using them during the hunt for the Atocha.

Both magnetometers and PI detectors been around for awhile too. Karl von Mueller mentioned them in his Treasure Hunters Manuals, but deemed them mostly too expensive for the typical coin hunter. Prices have come down since Carl's day, just as prices for computers have come down.

As for whether the thread is a scam, I don't know.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Lookup the Brookfield, Wis silver hoard. It was in an old issue of W&ET. 5 milk cans, 1000 lbs. of silver coinage, 8 feet deep. Found with something much cheaper than the suggested machine.

K

Kentucky Kache

I was told by a Fitzgeralds rep that with the Maxi Pulse Plus I would get approximately 20 feet on a pint jar full of coins. Now I'm not saying this is not a good machine, but when a company insults what little intelligence I have, it tends to put me off. A car body, maybe, but a pint jar of coins at 20 feet? Really?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Jason in Enid said:
Not BS, Jason. Pulse induction detectors exist. In fresh or salt water, at least one detector claims detection of objects to 100 feet depth with an 8-inch coil. Larger coils should allow for deeper objects if they are needed. Used to find ore bodies inside mines via triangulation. Towed magnetometers used for searching for the Brother Jonathan were used at depths well over 1,000 feet. Mel Fischer was using them during the hunt for the Atocha.

Both magnetometers and PI detectors been around for awhile too. Karl von Mueller mentioned them in his Treasure Hunters Manuals, but deemed them mostly too expensive for the typical coin hunter. Prices have come down since Carl's day, just as prices for computers have come down.

Really?! PI detectors exist? Gee, I guess I forgot I have been using one for over 10 years.

A Magnatometer is NOT a metal detector, and is a whole different operating principle.

I don't care what a company CLAIMS a product can do. LRLs claim you detect metals miles away. It's still BS. 20 feet detection with an 8 inch coil is BS. 100 feet detection is an insult to the intelligence.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Jason in Enid said:

100 foot depth with an 8 inch coil.....you got to stop beleiving everything you here. I will sell you a used Ace 250 that can pick up a dime at 3 feet and Im only asking $500. :laughing7:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Kentucky Kache said:
I was told by a Fitzgeralds rep that with the Maxi Pulse Plus I would get approximately 20 feet on a pint jar full of coins. Now I'm not saying this is not a good machine, but when a company insults what little intelligence I have, it tends to put me off. A car body, maybe, but a pint jar of coins at 20 feet? Really?
Worked with a 2-box magnetometer earlier this year. Would barely indicate a pop can on top of the ground. Manufacturer indicated it needed at least an object the size of a pop can or larger for any response. A pint jar of coins at 20 feet would not be large enough a target for a magnetometer. But it works quite well for cannon or other large iron amounts. That's why they are used to find larger caches, especially those with large iron nearby.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A swimming pool filled with coins wouldn't register for a magnetometer, they only read changes in the earths magetic field. It takes a BIG chunk of iron to affect the magnetic field, which is why they are used by salvors to find shipwrecks, cannon piles, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread