Beach Permission: Questionable Advice From Beach Personnel?

RangerGal1

Greenie
Sep 17, 2011
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro
I live near a combination National Seashore and County Beach, and went down there to get a permit as advertised on the county website.
I first went to the Ranger Shack of the National Seashore, and he pointed out the boundary between his territory, and the county's. No MDing on National Seashore at all, he said, but pointed to the County Campground shack. He said I could MD to my heart's content on their property.
So, I went to the shack, and there the gal told me that it would be silly for me to pay anything as the season card would only last till December and I'd be paying way too much for it. Then she told me (confidentially) that the county hadn't even sent them the metal detecting paperwork (it's new here).
Here's the kicker, a county employee told me to just go and MD happily, and if anyone stopped me, to "Play dumb" and ask where I can get the permit. She said she doubts anyone will bother me.
I asked politely about the rules, no digging in the beach grass, no bothering nesting birds, and always fill my holes, etc. She seemed completely unconcerned.

So, should I follow her advice? If I can't get the permit anyway, due to lack of paperwork, I'm guessing that ti's a sort of source of embarrassment for them...and I've just sortah skirted by the issue. I'm a sweet old lookin gal, and I figure anybody who stops me will prolly accept a story. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your probably talking about Smith Point Park since it borders Fire Island National Seashore?
I don't know, if I were you "a sweet old lookin gal" i'd probably go ahead and detect and play the dummy card. But myself being who I am and looking the way I do, i'd probably not.
Here's a discussion about your same situation-http://lithc.org/showthread.php?89-first-post-and-question

OP
OP
RangerGal1

RangerGal1

Greenie
Sep 17, 2011
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro
Thanks for the link, Diggummup. It seems some are willing to go without while others don't really care. Another interesting fact is that the Rangers are really not supposed to be trooping on the county beach...it's the National Seashore that really is their jurisdiction. I'm more concerned with the local Park Police, who have an office at the beach. BTW I didn't want to name the location because I didn't want to blatantly give away the location of an employee nor the fact that they gave me advice such as they did...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well basically you got 2 choices

#1 be pro active * go to the cop station ahead of time --tell them you tried to get the permit but --they are not there yet * (basically they are out ) and since you tried to get a permit you'ld like to detect , but you do not want any "problems" with them --tell them that when the permits come in you do plan on getting one. --

or you can play dumb * and bat yer eyes at the rangers.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ranger-gal, I don't know how you could argue with a "go ahead" :dontknow: If anyone stopped (and I doubt anyone cares less, unless you're being some sort of nuisance), you merely tell them you inquired, and no one cared. Even if that "go ahead" was given with a "wink wink", I still wouldn't argue with it.

As for the link diggummup posts, there are some statements in there about "confiscations" "arrests" and such. If you were to ask those persons for an example of such a thing, I bet no such examples exist. It's the knee-jerk "oh me oh my" lines that get bandied around, yet when you press people for examples, the room goes silent. You've done your due diligence, so go have fun.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Tom and Ivan. Nobody really cares so long as you fill your holes and take out the trash. Good Luck.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Hmmm.
Seems like if no one is detecting the National Seashore, that is where the good
pickings are!
As to playing dumb, you can say that you were told the other area was closed,
and you assumed that meant this area was open!
Also, always carry some trash to show that you are helping out by cleaning up
without being asked!
Hope you find a nice ring and a new watch.
Rich

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
National Seashores are under National Park Service. They will take your detector, Your vehicle and YOU. There are no second chances with the NPS. I asked and I was strongly "warned". Frank

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP wasn't asking about hunting the National Seashore. She already knows that is out of play.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I was a little unclear on my post.
1. As to the National Seashore, we would love to hunt where no
one else has, enticing, but not worth losing a detector or getting
misdemeanor.
2 As to the campground area, when it is not prohibited, I would
always carry some trash to show I am cleaning up as well as
detecting.
Don't want anyone in trouble at their hobby, unless the treasure
is substantial, then get an attorney!
Rich

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Frankn, Jason is right, the question wasn't concerning that. But question for you anyhow: Can you cite an example to us of someone hunting a national seashore owned beach, and having their "vehicle, their detector, and themselves hauled off"? I've heard of a few bootings from federally managed beaches ('cuz a few exist here in CA). But the stuff you speak of?? Never. So please give us an example of such a thing happening, if you have one.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Jason, my post was directed at the one above it which you apparently didn't read. All posts here are not directed at the OP. TAKE YOURS FOR EXAMPLE!

Tom, I can give you a first hand example. I went to Assateaque National Seasure to hunt for the Charles Wilson Cache. There is a large sign at the entrance which states" No Metal Detecting allowed". I went to the ranger station to inquire. The ranger was coming out and I asked her about it. She said that if I took my detector out of my motorhome she would confiscate it and then confiscate my motorhome for using it to bring in the detector and then site me for having it in the park which would be a fine of $3,000 and possible jail time. Needless to say, I left the park after a short comment. This happened several years ago and I don't think the NPS has improved any. Frank

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Frankn, this is not an answer to the question. I did not ask if there was rules out there that exist (no speeding, no noises over a certain decibal, no metal detecting, no jay-walking, all under the threat of XYZ consequences). To merely cite a rule, was not what I was asking for.

I specifically asked for an example of anyone metal detecting on a federal beach, and actually having fines, confiscations, and jails as a result. Any examples please? :dontknow:

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say go have a blast and dig up some stuff then post the pictures here!

If she said no one will bother you then I'd bet she is right.

HH!

:icon_thumright:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
My question is, can you detect the water on the National Seashore, If you come in from a boat And detect from High Tide Line out............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread