The area between the sidewalk and the road.....

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
There are lots of names for this area:

Swale
Public Easement
Verge
Berm
Curb Strip
Utility Easement
etc...
But whatever you call it, I would like to know your feelings on who owns it? In my area, the homeowners maintain it but do not own it. That area is owned by the county or the city.

Legally, you could hunt it because it is a public area, but in some cases you will get challenged by the homeowner that maintains it. I have hunted these areas and have not asked the homeowners permission simply because the homeowner does not own it. I hunted very early and did not spend a lot of time at any one location. I do not leave any traces that I was there.

Have any of you hunted these areas? Did you ask the homeowners permission?

I know there will be mixed feelings on this, but my question is not IF you were to do it, but HAVE you done it and how did you approach it?

Ray S ECenFL

Upvote 0

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
There was a house selling down the street. The real estate person came onto the parkway in front of my house and was hammering in a sign about the house down the street. I said, "you better cover that hole when you're done. He said, "buzz off...this ain't your property....it's the city's property and I'll do what I want." I took the sign out and laid it down on the grass, then turned my sprinklers on. Maybe he had a "right" to do that but he annoyed me. I guess as a homeowner I see that as a parkway that I water and mow. He told me to "shut that water off" and I told him where to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread