MXT for Nugget Shooting ?

Dave (Pa)

Mar 19, 2003
Dunmore, Pa.
Hi All'

I purchased an MXT in the spring. I was looking for a nugget shooter to use on trips to Va. and Ga. but wanted a good coin shooter too. Now I'm looking to get a new coil to do some nugget shooting and was wondering:

Has anyone used the MXT for nugget shooting and what has your expereance been with it?

Is it worth the money to buy a differant coil and what should I get?

Would I just be better to look for a gold detecter?

Upvote 0

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
dave - i believe that the mxt is three detectors in one. there are three seperate boards in the box - one for each hunting mode. you simply switch to the mode that you want to use. my understanding is that you can find gold with either coil but the 950 coil is my favorite. i hope to acquire an mxt in the near future = i hope to get a good deal on one probably after whites turns out another unbeatable detector. wayne

OP
OP
Dave (Pa)

Dave (Pa)

Mar 19, 2003
Dunmore, Pa.
I did try it with the 950 coil that comes on it stock and wasn't impressed. The area I was in has a lot of black sand. It's mostly tailings from old mines and when ground balanced it the black sand it would not pick up the gold in a vile from dredgeing. There was about 4 grams in the vile.

A

ahailer

Gold machine

Dave,
I have both a Whites XLT (similar to the MXT) and a Tesoro Super Lobo. I bought the super lobo as a gold machine, but have used it only as a general purpose machine for coins and jewelry. I'd be interested in trying it out, along with the Whites on one of your panning expeditionsto see if it would fit your purposes. I live in Frederick, MD and if interested you can reply to [email protected].

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
dave - i can pinpoint better with the hole in the center of the 950 than i can with any other head. i find it real hard to pinpoint with the eliptical coil on my gold master vsat. wayne

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The size of the gold has a lot to do with it. I am considerint the MXT myself-- it can pick up small gold (1/16"). There will always be a downsize limit to what a detector can pick up, and the number of pieces isn't as important (even when together in a vial) as the size of the biggest piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions