New finds

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there,

With a detector, I spend most of my time chasing the gold http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,453.700.html, but every once in a while, I break out the X-Terra 705 and chase some coins. And, it sure does a great job of discriminating in super-trashy ground.

Here's a few pictures of some finds I dug in a yard that's been occupied since 1899 (they're doing yard renovations right now--the perfect time to detect): WWII pennies, depression era penny, modern penny, a (WWI) 1914 silver five-cent coin (fine silver), and a 1919 silver five-cent as well (plus, a ceramic marble!). Furthermore, a copper medallion struck for Canada's sixtieth birthday, in 1927 (celebrating Canada's birthday as a nation in 1867). I posted the finds as they were, then with a bit of rough cleaning (gently rubbing off a bit of dirt) but the silvers were cleaned with a bit of water. I also found a 1907 silver five-cent piece (92.5% silver--minted in England) on an earlier hunt in the same yard (first photo), a very old toy motorcycle, a whack-load more of WWII era pennies, an old pocketknife, and lots of brass pieces (metal-reeded sections) that look like they're from an old music box. (At a later time, I may be able to post some pictures of some of those lastly mentioned finds as well. In addition, I also found a brass button from a WWII Air Force officer's uniform, some WWII silver quarters, silver quarter from the 50's, WWII era pennies, a silver dime, and a load of modern pennies in my yard to boot.

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

All the best,

Lanny

Located some more pictures:

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

By the way--many of the coins, and the medallion (somewhat smaller than a silver dollar, thick, and heavy), are in great shape now that they're cleaned up. (I gave them to the landowner--digging and finding is a ton of fun all by itself.) I just wanted to post the pictures of (mostly) how the coins appeared as they came out of the ground.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lanny in AB said:
ISM,

Thanks for the response--those are all excellent ideas. Thanks again, and all the best,

Lanny
Lanny, If the grounds had any vendors outside, try those areas. Where the lines formed. Also, the parking areas... especially if grass. Also, if the parking lots had "pick-up" benches... or under ANY trees. Good luck! TTC

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks a bunch Terry--great suggestions--nice to hear from you again.

All the best,

Lanny

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, all the way around! One question I have, is, how are you guys cleaning your finds? On some of the newer clad and memorial pennies, I've had some success with a brass brush, since they don't damage the surface of the coin....but I hesitate to use any sort of brush on the older stuff, and I don't want to ruin the finish and value. I've heard some horror stories when it comes to cleaning coins, so any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

DeJa

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deja--since I have spent most of my times chasing gold nuggets, I'm a little out of my league when it comes to answering that question. I don't think mild soap and water will hurt anything, but I do know that some collectors want the patina (tarnishing/aging) intact. I know that if you use vinegar and salt it will remove the patina completely, but that diminishes greatly/ruins the value of the coin when it comes to a collectible value.

Someone else can jump in here that will be much more qualified than I am as to what cleaners are safe and which ones to avoid.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread