permits for metals detecting in NY State Parks

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I found a great site that has many old foundations but the only problem is that they are in a state park in NY. I have contacted the parks department that maintains it but have not heard back from them. I had contacted them in the past and they told that metal detecting is out of the question but I think they did know which park I was talking about. They maintain Bear Mountain State Park and Harriman State park but this park was not one of those. I walked through this park today with the kids doing a geocache hunt and came across 4 or 5 foundations. One of them still had this huge fireplace.
Anyway, does anyone know if there is a permit to metal detect in NY State Parks and if so how do I go about getting it?
Here is the photo of one foundation with the huge fireplace.

Thanks,

Funkman

Attachments

• IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 404
Upvote 0

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
I am sure that this is not what you want to hear.

It is up to each park manager to allow metal detecting or not. Sometimes the regional HQ will decide it. For the most part we are only allowed on the beaches (sometimes not even in the water) and not between Memmorial and Labor day.

If permits are given they are usually available at the park office. Some areas have started charging for them.

Bottom line is that I highly doubt that you can legally hunt the areas you want. It really sucks. I recently had a conversation with a park manager that believes that we should be able to metal detect anywhere in his park. His hands are tied by higher authority.

Mark S.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi. In my area we have 3 state parks covered by one regional HQ. A permit is required which costs $10 and is valid from Sept 15 through May 15 ONLY!!!! A phone call to your local office should answer your question. I don't know if all NYS parks use this same policy. Good luck to you!!!
Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread