Double D Coil vs Concentric

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to add a little more confusion to the mix there are VLF concentrics which have a degree of ground reject "built in" and then there's pulse machines where the majority of manufacturers still only use mono coils (before someone comes in and says pulse isn't affected by ground conditions they are and the more expensive units have G.B. controls. Only in extreme ground do pulse DD's come into play.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Yea Brian, you have a point there. I was hunting an Atlantic beach with my Surfmaster PI and found a 14 kt gold chain with cross. another hunter came over and asked what I found. I showed him the chain and he showed me his collection of lead sinkers. I think he was using a Garrett with a DD coil. My PI only has pulse delay which I use basically to set my scan speed. It works great out west where the ground is really mineralized.

Attachments

• gold cross chain.jpg
    gold cross chain.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 917
  • gold cross chain.jpg
    gold cross chain.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 903

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've gone DD and havent looked back.

I can use the coil in more ways than I can with concentrics....

One thing I really like about them is that I can tilt the coil at a 45 degree angle and get a little more info on a iffy target. helps alot on those bottle caps where the edge has been mashed down...or help see if a coin is tilted.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
This thread is so full of misinformation, it should be deleted. If you're new to detecting or electronics, just pretend this garbage doesn't exist and go read elsewhere.

OP
OP
CoilFisher

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm..I wonder what a "Double O" would find?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You notice Sham never adds any useful info! He just goes around and knocks what's there. But then again he has only posted 195 times since '08, what can you expect? frank

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shambler said:
This thread is so full of misinformation, it should be deleted. If you're new to detecting or electronics, just pretend this garbage doesn't exist and go read elsewhere.
please, inform us! I would like to know what the real information is!

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Shambler said:

If you have a problem with "Double D's", put'em back in the closet...

Though some have strong opinions one way or the other, this thread is not "misinformative".

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason in Enid said:
Yes, a concentric coil is a LITTLE deeper than a same sized DD, but that deeper portion is at a very small "point". So you can have a tiny but more depth that covers 1% of your coil, or a full depth reaction for the entire length.

That alone makes it a better coil.
You guys make me laugh :laughing7:........ You will spend $1000.00 or MORE on a detector that you think will go a inch or two more than another detector....................... Then put on a DD coil that goes a inch or two less than a concentric coil.......... So why spend more for a detector you THINK will go deeper ...........Then you make it go less deep..............??????????????????????????

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Jason in Enid said:
Yes, a concentric coil is a LITTLE deeper than a same sized DD, but that deeper portion is at a very small "point". So you can have a tiny but more depth that covers 1% of your coil, or a full depth reaction for the entire length.

That alone makes it a better coil.
You guys make me laugh :laughing7:........ You will spend $1000.00 or MORE on a detector that you think will go a inch or two more than another detector....................... Then put on a DD coil that goes a inch or two less than a concentric coil.......... So why spend more for a detector you THINK will go deeper ...........Then you make it go less deep..............??????????????????????????

LOL, I'm using 15 inch, 12x15" and 15X18" DD coils...... Im not losing anything in depth and I'm gaining a lot more in the foot print.....How many passes do you need to make to cover the same ground I cover with my 15" or 18" DD coils in a single pass....

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The Etrac has the reputation for being the deepest coin machine around. Do they even make a concentric coil for it?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
RW said:
The Etrac has the reputation for being the deepest coin machine around. Do they even make a concentric coil for it?
Well there is a video on the Tesoro forum that shows that the tesoro vaquero is deeper than the etrac............... Oh yes it has a concentric coil................... It is on youtube also by 53silver ... But you guys with minelabs have tunnel vision............ 53silver has a etrac and likes it but he proved that the Vaquero is deeper............

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Keppy said:
RW said:
Well there is a video on the Tesoro forum that shows that the tesoro vaquero is deeper than the etrac............... Oh yes it has a concentric coil................... It is on youtube also by 53silver ... But you guys with minelabs have tunnel vision............ 53silver has a etrac and likes it but he proved that the Vaquero is deeper............

Seen it. I use a Tesoro on 9/10 hunts. You concentric guys have tunnel vision....

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
From an engineering perspective, there are reasons to prefer a DD in some circumstances, and in others to prefer concentric.

From a manufacturing perspective, there are reasons to prefer a DD in some circumstances, and in others to prefer concentric.

From a marketing perspective, there are reasons to prefer a DD in some circumstances, and in others to prefer concentric.

From a user's perspective, there are reasons to prefer a DD in some circumstances, and in others to prefer concentric.

There, I hope that settled the argument over which is better!

--Dave J.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
woof! said:
From an engineering perspective, there are reasons to prefer a DD in some circumstances, and in others to prefer concentric.

From a manufacturing perspective, there are reasons to prefer a DD in some circumstances, and in others to prefer concentric.

From a marketing perspective, there are reasons to prefer a DD in some circumstances, and in others to prefer concentric.

From a user's perspective, there are reasons to prefer a DD in some circumstances, and in others to prefer concentric.

--Dave J.
I understand some like Chevys and some like Fords...........some like Pepsi and some like Coke............... I use a Minelab with DD coil and and Garrett with the DD coil and The Concentric coil..........And there are times i want that Concentric coil......... I have been trying to find a Concentric coil for my Sovereign . ..No luck so far..They at one time made concentric coils for the sovereign ....... For there are times i really would like to have a concentric coil on my sovereign.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
woof! said:

--Dave J.
Oh yes ...woof... That was good way to put it i liked that.........

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy, I thought you were a Minelab Man.....
How about a Excalibur with a 10 inch DD vs Dual Field with a 12 inch Mono? I'm headed up to the Jersey Shores, OC , for a few days in Janurary would like to hook up with a couple PI (Or Tesoro) hunters to see how my Excaliburs fair in the sands up there, and just to get in a little RR detecting. Still feel I'm some what a rookie with the Df but from what I have seen, the Wetsand the Excalibur is a Killer, but once deeper in the salt water the Dual Field takes command. Just goes to show, what works well in one spot..may not in the next...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well... Oldbeachnut.... I am sort of a Minelab person . But i put them down here at times....... Just to get the minelab people going...... And it works.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread