Best Resale Value Detectors

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
After a few months with one detector...I am getting the itch to switch....or maybe have two. Which detectors have the best resale value? Id much rather buy a detector that's resale price wont drop like a rock the day I take it out of the box. I see a lot of people here have used many detectors over the years. That must mean a lot of buying and selling of used machines. Any advice on brands or models that will hold their value? Within reason of course, I expect any used detector to cost somewhat less than new depending on condition and how old a model it is.

Upvote 0

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Several of the machines hold their value pretty good. I bought a DFX 300 for $800 and sold it three years later for $700 and sold the 12" coil for an additional $125. A lot on resale value is based on the price you first paid for your machine. Several dealers will make you a good deal on your purchase. Kellyco offers very good deals on new machines. Stay with the brand names such as White's, Minelab and Fisher.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll find that different detector models work better for different things - you might have a VLF and want a PI, you may want to water detect, or search for gold. I have a number of detectors (along with 2 that are for beginners that I bring along for people who want to learn) for different needs. I always carry a spare so I am never shut out because of a problem with my detector. This also means carrying spare batteries.

Research the models and pick one that is known to be good for specific tasks (keep in mind that all of the major metal detector companies have made models that were mediocre, painful to use, or not very adaptable - along with some exceptional tools).

I do mostly Prospecting with a Whites GMT and have a Goldmaster Vsat as a backup for that purpose. I also have good coin and relic machines. I'll eventually get a PI unit too.

Keep your current detector as a backup - you may find that its better for somethings than you think. Also, if you are feeling stuck, you may want to find a detecting partner or a detecting club to get some different perspective on how you are approaching hunts.

Once I know what detectors I want, I start looking on eBay and Craigslist to see what they are selling for. That will give you some idea of resale value.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The main thing is to buy quality. Buy a known brand name. Buy as close to top of the line as you can afford. Don't buy a starter, you will outgrow it to fast and loose money. Buy a top of the line used detector in good condition, they last forever.
I do all kinds of detecting from punching parks to real cache hunting. Here is the equipment that I have purchased in the last ten years.
-Whites XLT for general detecting, purchased over 10 years ago and still going strong.
-Whites Surfmaster PI, purchased about 10 years ago for beach and surf hunting, going strong.
-Hays 2Box for cache hunting, bought used, works great, goes better than 12' deep
-Vibre -Tech for surf hunting, bought several months ago used. 6" detecting range, but small.
- two pinpointers, Whites bullseye and a Harbor Freight. Both modified and work great.
Remember, Quality pays for itself ! Frank

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Marco, maybe you're asking the wrong question.

By asking us which detector has the best resale value, it seems like you're telling us that no matter what you buy, you are already in a mind to sell it. How can you ever get proficient with any detector if you don't put in the time with it? I don't mean 25-30 hours. I mean 100, 200+ hours to really work with the machine see if it is for you. That is the only way you'll find out. Trust me on this. Once you have the right detector, you aren't going to worry about its resale value because you won't want to part with it.

Better to ask yourself what features you really want and find the detector that best suits that list. And if more than one does it, buy the best one you can afford.

Good luck to you!

OP
OP
M

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Thanks for the replies. I guess what made me start the thread was how I see so many guys here often list off anywhere from 4-7 detectors they have used. I have the Atpro and altho I dont have any major complaints with it...I am also on the fence about it. Ive had it 5 months. I have been considering a second detector...something closer to $1000...the plan being to use both over 3-4 months time...and keep the one that I like best. I just wouldnt want to buy a detector with a rep for low resale value, even though initially expensive. For example...do Minelabs and Whites have a better rep for resale vs something like...Teknetics?

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you have an AT...

I have one as well and I can keep up with $1000 machines no problem. I would set my sights on something else in your shoes. Theres only a few more bells and whistles on a high end Teknetics.... but as far as getting the signals...I wouldnt spend twice as much to do the same thing.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of us have gone through a few machines simply because we've been doing this so long. I had a White's 3000 then upgraded to the 6000Di Pro. Sold it, didnt detect for a few years, then bought a White's 6000 series 3, then another 6000Di Pro for about $350 bucks, which considering it was close to 15 years old, I'd say has a pretty darn good resale for a machine that old which originally sold for around $700.00 or so.
Bought a dfx new and sold it 2 years later minus $150.00 from original cost. Now I have the Vision new and see others being resold for only about $100.00 or so less than original but only used lightly or a year or so old.

So what do you consider good resale? A machine that you can still get 350.00, 15 years later or one with 100 bucks off and is only a year or so old? Reputation means a lot in this business and White's has a pretty darn good one.

Al

OP
OP
M

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Thanks for more replies. Actualy I have made a discovery that will probably keep me swinging the AT awhile longer. Turns out the park I was going to was so completely saturated with trash...I just couldnt learn my machine..unless I wanted to almost max out the disc. Today I found an open schoolyard...No Trash At All.....every single repeatable was a coin...not one pulltab in 2 hours. LOL I guess kids arent pull-tabbing cokes or beers at recess...right? I still have the Itch to try a Minelab or Whites $1,000 level machine...and the ones I see on ebay usually have a dozen or more bidders....so the demand is there ...if you dont end up liking it...it should sell again.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your buying a machine for resale value buy a used machine. Then sell it for what you payed for it.

If your looking for a new machine with best resale, go Minelab. Holler if you have any questions!

OP
OP
M

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Now that I think deeper about this (LOL..fitting term for this forum)...the real reason behind my post is actualy more about this economy and work than it is the actual detector performance. A year and a half ago work was terrible and I had to sell my Ace 250 and I was happy to get $180 for it. Now I have a good job and I can afford pretty much any detector up to the E-Trac....BUT....if I lost my job? I would likely sell my detector again. With no job I couldnt justify spending hours walking the beach or parks. And I wouldnt want to spend $1,000 on a detector and see it go down $300 in value just cuz it's out of the box. It almost seems that the E-trac sells for close to new even when used. There are dozens of detectors on ebay. I only saw one E-Trac used this week....and it sold for $1,475. (granted it did come with propointer) Do top of the line White's hold that much value?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:Now if I didn't have a job I would be spending as much time as I could at the beach. There is gold and silver out there on the beach and in the water. I took a week off work and detected around 25 hours that week and I did pretty darn good on finding some nice items. So why would you sell your machine. I have 5 machines 3 for the water and 2 for land detecting. I still have my first water machine that I got around 30 yrs ago. Still going strong. only thing wrong on it is the rubber on the head phones it has rotted away. It is the white first surfmaster. If I remember right I only paid around $300 for it. I wouldn't take $200 for it. I also still have my 1st bounty hunter that I got. My brother uses it and it is over 30 yrs old. So go out and buy a detector that you can afford and it will paid for itself over time. Like I said I have 5 detectors and everyone of them has paid for it self. So go out and buy the best detector that you can and enjoy it......Matt

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To marco

Here in Metal Detecting down the page I have posted What I got in 6 days of detecting. It last post was Sept 26. Go down and take a look at my finds. I used 2 detectors that week my Excal and DFX. My DFX is around 7 yrs old and the Excal is only 2 yrs old. Both every nice machines......Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread