How to set my detector to just select gold objects?

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well, what you need is my after-market mod-device, to put on your Ace 250. It allows the machine to only respond to gold (simply ignoring aluminum, copper, brass, silver, etc....) The cost is *only* $500 (I accept paypal). You just plug it in between the coil and the box, and presto!

Others who come on to this thread after me, will attest to the fact that this minor option was left off of the 250, at the Garrett manufacturer. Whites, on the other hand, "lets you know what's in the ground before you dig it" (as you've probably seen on their TV ads). But with the Garrett Ace 250 to do the same thing, you'll need my after-market device. But don't worry, it'll pay for itself in just a few rings you'll effortlessly dig, while passing all the other targets!

Ok guys, please back me up and vouch for what I'm saying! :hello:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Well, what you need is my after-market mod-device, to put on your Ace 250. It allows the machine to only respond to gold (simply ignoring aluminum, copper, brass, silver, etc....) The cost is *only* $500 (I accept paypal). You just plug it in between the coil and the box, and presto!

Others who come on to this thread after me, will attest to the fact that this minor option was left off of the 250, at the Garrett manufacturer. Whites, on the other hand, "lets you know what's in the ground before you dig it" (as you've probably seen on their TV ads). But with the Garrett Ace 250 to do the same thing, you'll need my after-market device. But don't worry, it'll pay for itself in just a few rings you'll effortlessly dig, while passing all the other targets!

Ok guys, please back me up and vouch for what I'm saying! :hello:

HaHa, cracked me up! And I concur.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
33.333333 >>>>>>Chug :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll attest to your device, Tom. And Tom is not paying me 1/3rd for everyone sold, are you? I have it on good authority that tom's device will even tell you what kind of coin is in the ground... and infact.... this device is the ONLY one that will..... on average....... GAURANTEE .... that it will tell you if the coin is heads or tails.... a whopping 50% of the time! Now, back to the 250. I don't know. Take the kind of jewelry you wish to look for and put it under the coil. Notch out everything else except the jewelry and away you go!..... if you can't afford the jewelry you expect to find..... use a pulltab, or nickel. TTC

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if you have a detector that is optimized for finding gold, there is no way to get it to ignore everything else. Gold reads very low in conductivity, and unlike coins, comes in all different sizes, shapes and alloy mixes.

The ACE 250 will find gold if its big enough (much more than a gram nugget, or a ring, and some jewelry), and the ground you are looking in is not overly mineralized. Its not a real good gold prospecting detector. On the other hand my Whites GMT (very good for gold in highly mineralized ground, if its not too deep), would drive you crazy trying to use it to look for other things.

The ACE 250 runs at about 6.8 kHz. To find gold, you need to be at 12 kHz or more (The Tesoro Campadre does a great job at finding gold jewelry, including necklaces - it's the cheapest one they sell - however its not able to just look for gold, and to can't be ground balanced for higher mineralization areas without modifying it - which voids the warranty).

VLF Detectors optimized for gold: The White's GMT runs at 48 kHz - much better for gold, lots worse for finding other things. The Fisher Gold Bug 2 runs at 72 kHz (same thing, great for gold, not so great for other things). The Tesoro Lobo ST and the new Fisher4 Gold Bug run at around 14 to 20 kHz and do well with Gold and can be used for other detecting tasks. The new Garrett Gold detector has not really had much time to establish itself (I am sure it works well), and it runs at around 18 kHz. The White's MXT has a prospecting mode (runs around 14 kHz), and can be used for other things too. See the trend? There are Minelab detectors that can be run at multi-frequencies that help them find gold.

I won't get into PI detectors (I don't own one yet, so I only have a small amount of experience with them), but they have a lot of benefits too (as well as issues depending on your site) - many people hunting for gold use PI detectors.

Gold is very hard to find, as it can read anywhere on the spectrum, and often you have to deal with very small items (link chains, tiny nuggets). Look in the 'Gold Prospecting' section of this site and you will find discussions about what people are doing that are looking specifically for gold.

For best ground depth, 3 to 7 kHz works well, but not if you are looking for gold. All detectors are compromises based on what you want to use them for. Many of us own many detectors because of it. You may want to try a few other detectors that are focused on finding gold and see how they work (and find someone to help you learn how to use it) - depending on what you are planning to do, you might want to get another detector to use along with your ACE 250. Your ACE 250 is a very good detector. Spend some time with it and learn what it can do.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
I'll attest to your device, Tom. And Tom is not paying me 1/3rd for everyone sold, are you? I have it on good authority that tom's device will even tell you what kind of coin is in the ground... and infact.... this device is the ONLY one that will..... on average....... GAURANTEE .... that it will tell you if the coin is heads or tails.... a whopping 50% of the time! Now, back to the 250. I don't know. Take the kind of jewelry you wish to look for and put it under the coil. Notch out everything else except the jewelry and away you go!..... if you can't afford the jewelry you expect to find..... use a pulltab, or nickel. TTC
use a pulltab or nickel. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there are gold magnets that I've seen advertised in the back of some Popular Science magazines. I never thought of using one but they have testimonials from many users. :laughing7:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
I think there are gold magnets that I've seen advertised in the back of some Popular Science magazines. I never thought of using one but they have testimonials from many users. :laughing7:
Sandy, The power of suggestion is very great... just like hypnotism. TTC

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

Oh come on Sandman you can't give away all of our secrets . :laughing9:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
After reading all the posts, I had to look at my calendar to make sure it wasn't APRIL 1st. Frank

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
History Detective,

I think you can tell by all the tongue-in-cheek answers that what you are asking for is the impossible. Though Heaven knows we wish such a setting existed.

Remember that conductivity is a big factor in what a detector picks up. And gold is composed of so many additional metals to give it strength in jewelry, that they can start sounding off just above the iron setting. That's why gold hunters dig so much junk. You have to in order to find the gold. Notch out foil and you'll lose small gold. Notch out pull tabs and you lose those mid-sized rings too.

There are dedicated gold detectors, and those are designed primarily to be used in nugget prospecting where trash is (hopefully) rarer to find. They were not really designed so much for parks and playgrounds, though you certainly could use them there.

OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Thanks to everyone that replyed, and if anyone has any other suggestions I would sure appreciate it...but I think the last one pretty much answered it...
I was being serious...not out of greed...well maybe..hA! but because I thought that it was possible believe it or not...
But, I understand..nothing in life come easy...including metal detecting...
I was seriously thinking about the $500.00 devise to attach...so you guys really did pull one over me for awhile...HA!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
History Detective said:
Hello,
Thanks to everyone that replyed, and if anyone has any other suggestions I would sure appreciate it...but I think the last one pretty much answered it...
I was being serious...not out of greed...well maybe..hA! but because I thought that it was possible believe it or not...
But, I understand..nothing in life come easy...including metal detecting...
I was seriously thinking about the $500.00 devise to attach...so you guys really did pull one over me for awhile...HA!

I think it was a very cruel twist of fate that the can pull-tab came into use just as metal detecting that getting a foothold as a hobby. The first ones were meant to be discarded which resulted in the parks becoming littered VERY quickly.

OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jason and others,
Yea, I gotcha...thanks so much for all that answered my naive question...
But you did in fact answer it..so I thank you...
I have just started detecting and I am learning...HA!
I got the message ...dig everything!
Thanks so much for everyones input...
I did indeed give myself up as a novice detectorist! Sorry...HA!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, no, you don't have to dig everything.... just have to remember that.... underneath all the tongue-in-cheek answers is the desire to help you. That idea is sincere. As far as gold goes, you must think about digging the signals around the pull tab area.... about the same conductivity as gold or nickels. You'll get the hang of it. TTC

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I was with a newbie last year and he had his new Ace 250 out for a walk in the schoolyard behind my place. He popped two stunning gold rings about 10 feet apart, both signals bounced from foil to tab I believe.

But yes, he a had small baggie full of trash he had dug already. But one tip I'd note. Rings with large, uneven settings give a multitude of signals variations as they inductive field gets warped around/through them. Simple bands give a more consistent sound though this may vary proportionately to size and depth of the target.

In August I was in a canslaw field but got one wildly varying target that pinpointed well at 5". It was this huge gawdy silver band with a huge gawdy gold setting of robins egg cabs. I don't think any machine would give anything close to a consistent read on this ring. I dug it because it pinpointed in the right size range at a depth just beneath the canslaw range.

In another canslaw field a week ago Sunday, got this nice sized wedding band at about an inch. Read solid pulltab on my machine with no variation in TID. Pulltabs almost always have some variation in TID on my rig so I dug the target. Winner!

So, bouncy targets in the right target range at the right depth, solid targets that mimic trash but with less bounce at lesser depths. And learn to size that target up with your rigs pinpoint function!

If that don't work for you word has it that Tom_in_CA may also working on a mass teleportation module plug in that automatically beams the target to either the goody or trash pouch. Just make sure there are no flies between you and the target when using the feature. Nothing worse than watching the gold fly out of your pouch and seeing it head straight for the doggy doo doo in the park.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
History Detective said:
Hello Jason and others,
Yea, I gotcha...thanks so much for all that answered my naive question...
But you did in fact answer it..so I thank you...
I have just started detecting and I am learning...HA!
I got the message ...dig everything!
Thanks so much for everyones input...
I did indeed give myself up as a novice detectorist! Sorry...HA!
Sorry for the wise cracks but you have to remember that we have been bombarded with folks like Overkill, Overkill that just want to play with us.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it this way, if there was actually a setting or even detector that worked like that, we would all already own one, have found all the lost gold and there would be nothing left for you to look for and find....

OP
OP
H

History Detective

Aug 30, 2010
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,
Well, I'm glad I asked anyway...I learned alot from everyones responses...
You have to realize that I am taking the detector over to friends houses in East Texas rural areas and they keep asking me about just setting it to find gold...so I didn't know for sure...
A long way from finding gold...we have found what appears to be a long lost railroad that used to run thru their property....
The area is totally wooded and no sign of aboveground tracks but we are finding dozens of old iron spikes and even small sections of tracks buried on average about 6 inches to a foot deep...its all on their private property so we can search at our leisure...
There must have been a logging tram/train that run thru in the early 1900's but no definite history on it yet....
Hopefully one of the workers maybe dropped a gold coin or two while building track!
Thanks!
Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions