Interesting site theory...lake bed excavations.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've worked a site over the last few weekends where they dumped the dredgings from a park lake that over the years was filling with sediment from the feeder creek.
The area covers several acres and still has a fair amount of lumps and clods, but grass has been planted and figure by next year it will be a full-blown wildflower field.

I've kinda been working it helter-skelter, jumping from one area to another, depending on how high the grass was or how rocky the ground.,etc. I have noticed a pattern to these dumpings by zig-zagging like I was.

Some areas had huge amounts of can slaw, some areas were totally without signals, others I was hitting on fishing sinkers, lures and a couple wheaties.

The thing I noticed most was how the surface soil looked.

The areas with loads of can slaw were more grassy, smoothed, silty looking surface.

Areas where no signals had lots or rocks and a reddish, brick colored stone blanketing the area.

Where I was hitting the sinkers and such were mostly clay clods

Three very distinctive looking surfaces. I haven't really spent a whole lot of time in any particular spot. I'm hoping to find the honey hole there somewhere.

There used to be a small look-out that jutted out into the lake where people could walk when they first opened the park. I can imagine the "Wishing well" effect with people tossing coins in for good luck....from that point...and now dredged out and spread in acres of fields and dozens of feet deep. I'm wondering if you'd agree that I should search out the clayish areas and concentrate my time there, or has my zig-zagging just been mere luck of where the dozer spread stuff?

What I'm thinking is can slaw would indicate areas dredged close to shore where mowers would spit it out, maybe find some sinkers givin some time but not so much coins.

The rocky areas are maybe from them scraping the bottom and too deep for the coins to have wound up.

The clayish areas...well....most of the sediment would have concentrated where the spill off and look out was...and maybe the coins would be concentrated there... :dontknow:

Just an untested theory.

Al

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your theory sounds pretty good. What was the basis for this lake? Was it ever for swimming or just fishing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions