Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most const. is a no trespassing area ,but I have asked foreman and they have will say it is o.k. but it makes a difference if it is a home or commercial
good luck
jonnie

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Are the dirt piles behind closed fences? Or is it an open site that you can just hunt them when the crews knock off for the day?

If you have no other way than to approach them, then yes, the job trailer (verses coorporate headquarters elsewhere) is the best way. The on-site foreman, in my opinion, tends to be more flexible than, say, some desk-bound bureaucrat legal beaver downtown.

And yes, some job-sites are real picky about not hardhats. But not many. Most of the time those signs are just there to satisfy osha that they were posted. But realistically, if you're just going to the trailer (as opposed to being out in the actual work zone) no one might notice. But if you want to be safe (in case you have a safety nut person wandering around carding people), you can get one. And if you REALLY want to enhance your odds of getting a yes, bring a 12-park of premium dark brew, and wear a big smile when handing it to them. :hello:

Digaholic

Sep 17, 2010
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask for permission with a case of heineken under your arm, that will get you in.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Recently got permission to hit a nice bridge project over the river. Asked the job site foreman. Great old property and we got some silver and nice relics right off the bat. Next day we went back, the company bigwigs were there with the public officials and they gave us a no-go on hunting the site any further.

Yes, liabilities, property and equipment issues, safety and all that were the topics of their concern.

Had we left immediately upon seeing the suits, we'd probably still be working that site. That was the first construction site I've ever worked after getting permission where the circumstances changed.

Some years ago I was hitting the oldest park in our town, it was a fenced in city block being completey dug out and regraded. Walked in with my gear while the guys were breaking for lunch and simply waved, told them I'd like to hit some of the dirt for old coins and such, and the site boss told me go ahead.

Next day the city engineer came by and told me to leave, I told him the site boss was okay with it and he should be also. So he did not push it any further.

On the whole I'd say if you want to hit it, there is usually some way that you can hit some part of it without too much trouble if the crew is fairly friendly.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow Tom's advice is about all I can say. Remember they are worried that you might sue if your injured so don't ask anyone to sign any permission slips.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At least in NC, OSHA is getting rather tough on contractors. I'd suggest a hardhat, safety vest and steel toed boots if you are given permission and you are working during their work hours. Seeing that you are serious about your safety and considerate of their requirements may be that extra feather in your cap that helps get you permission.
(Yes, I know the steel toed boots will give a detector fits, but you can lengthen the rod and slightly decrese sensitivity)

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like I'll be investing in a Hard Hat and a case of beer cleverly disguised as a case of Pepsi.

Thanks for the great tips!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread