How to use the ground balance on the detector?

rachums107

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all I'm a newbie here and I'm having some trouble with my Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300. I cant figure out how to set the ground balance knob. I read the manual over again and its not seeming to work. Because of this I cant figure out how to pinpoint either, it seems to signal off as soon as I get close enough to the ground. The deepest it will signal is about 10 inches, I'm thinking its supposed to go farther than that. Can somebody help me out here please?

Upvote 0

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not familiar with your detector. But, to ground balance mine I just raise and lower the coil to the ground. Pump it up and down. Then will turn the balance knob either positive or negative until there is a steady threshold hum while I'm pumping the coil.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
rachums107

rachums107

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
So you want it to hum while moving the detector up and down? i was under the impression it needed to be silent.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you pump your coil up and down, as you're adjusting your balance (positive or negative) there should be a tone. If not, you'll not be able to hear if your machine's tone is increasing or decreasing as the coil gets close to (don't hit it) the ground. You'll have to adjust until you reach a balance where your tone neither increases or decreases (or as close as possible) as your coil approaches the ground--then you'll be balanced.

All the best,

Lanny

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with that particular detector, however be sure to adjust the knob slowly if you go too far one way it will skip right over balanced before you even realize it, and it will seem like you can't get it balanced at all.

What kind of target did you find at 10"? Or was that an air test..if so what did you air test? I'm gonna guess with a bounty hunter 10" is about right for a coin size target.

OP
OP
rachums107

rachums107

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I found an indian head penny, along with 9 others in the same hole, from 1887-1909
BTW thanks for your help guys!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the others failed to mention is you must be in All Metal while ground balancing. You can't GB either if you are over a coin or other piece of metal. You adjust the GB knob till the threshold is about as even in tone as you raise and lower the coil. At that time you can change to Disc mode. Its easy once you do it a couple times.

OP
OP
rachums107

rachums107

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks dudes this really helped, I'll try it out tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread