Ever wish you were a newbie again?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ever wish you were a newbie again? Just starting out all excited about finding stuff in the dirt. I remember kneeling on the frozen ground wearing heavy winter coats and safety goggles because the coin I pinpointed was in frozen ground and I had to chop at the dirt with a hammer an screw driver. After I got it out I looked at the date anxiously hoping to see a key date but happy with what ever it was.

Now days after most of us think we know what we are doing, some of the thrill goes out of it when we see it is only another clad coin. We are after the gold coin or gold rings. Ever wonder why there are still Wheaties being found in that sawdust pile in the woods that you musta hunted many times? This is why I feel I am still learning and trying new detectors left and right to bring back the excitement of learning. If only I applied this excitement to learning the Iphone 4S. :laughing7:

Attachments

• 4s.png
    4s.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 783
Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dennis, Ya, your right about clad,the THRILL of gold or silver will never go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learn more each hunt about my detector,and, I only get better with it,I understand what it's telling me! Not just a bunch of noise!God Bless and Good Hunting!!!!!!!!! Chris

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure don't miss those newbies errors but the thrill of the hunt has never subsided.

I don't know Sandman, I think you're right about our expectations getting higher the more we hunt. Maybe we just need to keep reminding ourselves that its in the hunting, not so much the finding.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
NO WAY! All those errors I like to make only once. All that experience is like a pillow under my head when I sleep. When I go some place now and don't find anything, I know it's because there was nothing there. What I like is dreaming about the future, not dwelling on the past. I know it contrasts with most of the preceding, but it's my view on life. Frank

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man.....I'd trade places with you anyday! Went to 2 different rivers with nice big sand banks, spent Saturday @ 1..& Sunday @ the other. I detected my little heart out, & got so excited when I found a couple pennies at the first river, & only 1 @ the next. I took & applied all the advice that I've ever gotten....maybe I just don't have the touch. I still have fun though, & maybe one day I'll find a relic. That's what i've really had my heart set on. The best of luck to you!

-Adrian

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Adrian, It's all in knowing your detector and being observent. I like dragonflys also. Frank

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola/BandidoII u max/Quick draw II/Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes i do kind of.
If you want to know the truth i used to find more when i first started.
When you dig every signal above Nail you dig lots of stuff. Now i am picky with signals
which i am sure some of those junky sounding sounds may be good stuff.
Some times i even hunted in all metal and really dug every sound.
Yes i dug lots of trash but it was fun because some of it turned out not to be trash.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adrian, I've found that reading how to books is a big help. Kellyco has a good selection as well as ebay. Since I started using the methods described in these books written by persons with a lot more expierience than I, my finds have increased in quantity and quality. HH

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
s.c.shooter said:
Adrian, I've found that reading how to books is a big help. Kellyco has a good selection as well as ebay. Since I started using the methods described in these books written by persons with a lot more expierience than I, my finds have increased in quantity and quality. HH

I Agree reading helps out and helps you stay exited about going out and finding the good stuff.

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
iCandy said:
Oh man.....I'd trade places with you anyday! Went to 2 different rivers with nice big sand banks, spent Saturday @ 1..& Sunday @ the other. I detected my little heart out, & got so excited when I found a couple pennies at the first river, & only 1 @ the next. I took & applied all the advice that I've ever gotten....maybe I just don't have the touch. I still have fun though, & maybe one day I'll find a relic. That's what i've really had my heart set on. The best of luck to you!

-Adrian

Try some local school yards that is where i got my start.
And i found plenty of stuff.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@sc, thank you, I've been googling alot of info about OK history, & of Havnt found much. I've decided to give up on rivers...for now...& start detecting in creeks....most around here are dry.....but...kinda creepy....there's one creek that I & my friends use to party at when we were in high school, called skeleton creek. Well, about a year ago, I went there during daylight hours...& saw a HUGE dead bore...it looked like it was DOMINATED..by something very hungry! And the reason I went back in the first place is another story.....a scary one

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
Sandman if you were a newbie you would not find crap. Ever. Or would you :dontknow:
When I was a newbie metal detectors were just starting out and there were tons of silver coins everywhere. When I started diving that is when I discovered that is where most of the gold and silver was. Seashore wading was great for finding many rings a day, not like it is now. An this was with those older detectors. Never did find a gold bar or a Rolex but there is hope.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Adrian, You haven't found much info? Cinarron Co., Robbers Roost a notorious hideout in the 1800's is located just north of Kenton. The outlaw leader Captain William Coe had his hideout in Colberty Canyon near the NM/Col. border 30 mi west of Kenton. For 4 years he led a gang out of there stronghold at robbers Roost 1 mi. east of Black Mesa. He once stated" between here and Flag Springs Arroya I have buried enough gold to make you rich." None of his loot has ever been found.
Frank

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Frank.....I'm researching further now, I'd never heard of Kenton until you mentioned it, this is very exciting, while researching also came across something in Vici, have you heard about the buried treasure over there?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Adrian, I don't see anything in Vici, But I might have missed it since I don't know what county it is in. The listings are under the county. I pulled that one from United States Treasure Atlas, Volume 8. It is by Thomas P. Terry. Oklahoma has 903 listings, some are ghost Townes. You can pick up vol.8 on E Bay. Terry was a great researcher and his 10 vol set has proven it's value to me. Some stories have great detail and others are more like notes that he never finished researching.

Here's another source. http://wwwgwizit.com/treasure When it comes up, select your state from the list on the left. Have your printer full of paper and print the list, probably about 16 pages. You can just read it on screen also if you like. It is free material, but not verified, but then what is? Well now that you have broken the ice, detect for the pleasure of it. The good Finds are icing on the cake. I mostly cache hunt now, but I still hit parks, beaches and historic yards to keep keen. Frank

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, Vici is in Dewey county, close to leedy, let me get you a web site

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll admit it, I do sometimes. My interest's have changed through the years, and now I search for the scarce RW stuff that is very hard to come by. I still enjoy getting out and searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread