all metal vs auto notch vs disc

Aug 27, 2011
C/S CO
Detector(s) used
bh lonestar
i personally use a BH lonestar but im curious no matter what your brand... is auto notch the same as a lower end discrimination? anyone have any luck hitting gold on auto notch? which setting do you perfer? Do you just use it to "cherry pick"? how many of yall use all metal and the auto notch or disc to narrow down what you think is in the ground? Many thanks to all the diffrent points of view we have at our fingertips on this awesome asset. Everyones opinion is what makes up the tangible earth. :notworthy:

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I use an XLT so I just use the coins and jewrly program. I have come to trust this setting. The screen still shows every target, but it only sounds on the good stuff. Frank

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Depends on your tolerance for noise. All metal will be preferred to help you hear all the targets in the ground under your coil, within it's depth capability. Not sure how auto notch works on the BH series.

A lot of variables to cover, trash density and depth, ground mineralization, target masking and target averaging. Aside from ground conditions, mineralization and it's effect, you can somewhat replicate how your machine will fair in each mode by setting up some test targets in the yard.

You might try putting a few pull tabs and/or crown tops near a coin and have the targets on small dowels or shot glasses at varying heights. Swing the detector slowly over the mix in each mode and see which one helps you differentiate the targets best. Too close and you will see the effect of target averaging if you're swinging faster than the machine can process the targets in it's field.

Swing the coil slowly to see how your machine responds to each target as it passes under the best possible point of detection for your machine/coil combo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions