chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From time to time I find coins on top of the ground as I am sure you all have too... even more rare is finding an older coin on top of the ground... well I did just that tonight... I got a quarter signal ad 0 inches!!! at first I thought it was a can but the signal was so clean so I looked down and I said... naa that can't be on top of the ground... nooooo that can't be a quarter... well I was wrong... just bend over and pick it up!

Every time I find a keeper like this I wonder how long its been sitting there like that!

Tell us of your "on top of the ground" finds too! I am very interested in knowing your story too!

Chukers

Attachments

• top 1.JPG
    top 1.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 3,221
  • top 2.JPG
    top 2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,223
  • top 3.JPG
    top 3.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 3,202
  • top 4.JPG
    top 4.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,197
Upvote 0

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never found anything interesting on top. However, I was leading a group of middle schoolers on a field trip to a park that I detect several times a week and one of my students found a 10k gold plated sterling ring with amethyst and topaz stones that was beautiful. I was a little annoyed that is didn't even make it into the ground for me to find, but I was happy for my student.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1775 King George III right on the surface at a colonial site I was hunting. I got a signal, started to pinpoint, and saw it laying there. It was in the woods where the ground was bare.

Attachments

• 1775 KG front.jpg
    1775 KG front.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,090
  • 1775 KG back.jpg
    1775 KG back.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2,220
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh I just remember this one... it still amazes me I found this on top of the ground... it must of been there for 50 years or more!

Chukers

Attachments

• bottle2.JPG
    bottle2.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,068
  • bottle2.JPG
    bottle2.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,064
Oct 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had myself a top of the ground find a couple weeks ago. I live in dawson city yukon and one day I was walking along the river where the old dump was many years ago and on the shore where water had been before the level dropped was a 1892 American silver dollar from the gold rush days

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dawsoncity40Chris said:
I had myself a top of the ground find a couple weeks ago. I live in dawson city yukon and one day I was walking along the river where the old dump was many years ago and on the shore where water had been before the level dropped was a 1892 American silver dollar from the gold rush days

nice find... I've never even found a dollar coin in 20+ years!

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Found a 16 gigabyte micro memory card on the ground yesterday at school. Might turn it in since it could have someone's paper on it. Will probably read it and see what is on it first.

Last year on the same campus commons I found a 1/5 carat diamond earring solitair pushed down in a crack between the cement slabs.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
So far 1 bike 1 razor scooter and one of the biggest swiss army knives ever made. Oldest coin on the surface was a 1917 wheatie. I found a 1902 indian head in the take a penny dish at a pizza place the other day. :icon_profileright:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Wow! I have never never seen and IH in circulation, and I used to get $10 in parking meter pennies every week for a couple of years in 1964-66. Steelies were there, but never a IH.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a saddle rosette on top of the ground at DIV 17.

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
There used to be a contest at the Texas State Fair where there was someone wandering around the fairgrounds that was worth a lot of money if he could be found. You had to walk up to him with a box top from a colgate polmolive product and ask if he "was Mr. Cap".
A clue was given each day of the week until he was found. I went out the first day with one clue. He had brown hair. I spent the entire day there, but was getting pretty hungry and had no money to eat on. Thought I would have to leave, but looking down to the ground in that huge crowd I spied a small bundle of bills. Turned out to be about 6 dollars. I ate and continued my search.
Long story, sorry. Happy ending. I found him the next day and won 1500.00 :hello2:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dustbuster said:
There used to be a contest at the Texas State Fair where there was someone wandering around the fairgrounds that was worth a lot of money if he could be found. You had to walk up to him with a box top from a colgate polmolive product and ask if he "was Mr. Cap".
A clue was given each day of the week until he was found. I went out the first day with one clue. He had brown hair. I spent the entire day there, but was getting pretty hungry and had no money to eat on. Thought I would have to leave, but looking down to the ground in that huge crowd I spied a small bundle of bills. Turned out to be about 6 dollars. I ate and continued my search.
Long story, sorry. Happy ending. I found him the next day and won 1500.00 :hello2:

wow that is a neat story... I have been in central Texas for 20 years and never knew they did that at the state fair!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok I am going to expand on this post... its a funny story kinda... but it might fit into this post...

I have never told this story... so you all get to hear it its a rather unique story and it fit me so well... especially now I know who I am and what I like... when I was a teenager, I was not a popular kid, I was not into what everyone else was doing, I did my own thing... I wasn't weird (I didn't think so) I just had different interests. I was walking through the gym one day... the bleachers were filling with kids for a pep rally or something... I was walking down the middle of the gym not really close to anyone they are all on the bleachers... someone threw a coin at me... I heard it so I chased it down... then another coin came out of nowhere and another and another... I guess they thought it amusing to see me chase coins... well it didn't bother me because after 10 to 15 minutes of doing this I had two pockets of change. then another boy joined me... it ended shortly after that because of the rally. I don't remember how much or what I found all I remember was the "event" maybe that why I am such a "coin freak" now... its odd how events and experiences mold you to what you are now.

so my obsession with coin finding continues today...

Chukers

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a year ago I was hunting on a beach with no luck. After a couple of hours I started walking over to my buddie to see what his take was and I saw about an inch of gold chain sticking out of the sand. I reached down and pulled a nice 14K necklace out of the sand. It was my only gold for the day but I was happy.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
All my life I walk around looking at the ground and it has always paid off. I have found jewelry, coins, silver in cashier trays, dollar bills, and even recently I eyeballed a 1909 V nickel and an awesome button at my "go-to" MD site. I have a hawkeye for sure!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a Civil War three ringer in a pile of gravel at the bottom of a rocky ledge.

DCMatt

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a small 14k ring on the sand at the beach last year, and this year found an 1898 Indian Penny on the surface. I found a silver roosie and merc sticking out of the dirt last week after detecting them. Surprised to see the edge exposed.

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds everyone! I've found a few wheaties on the ground, and a $20 bill on the sidewalk while walking to a site. It's funny how detecting has trained me to look at the ground everywhere I walk, detector or not!

My best surface find was a 10k gold ring at a park, just sittin' pretty behind a tree, two feet from a basketball court!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now after reading all your stories I realized I am not the only one with such luck to find things on top of the ground... I'll be looking even harder to find stuff wherever I go... thanks for telling all your stories. it is an inspiration!

chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread