Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems a lot of you night hunt. ???
I have a few places Ive been thinking of hitting at night but wondering what sort of lights you guys use? Red lights maybe?
I have a Petzl headlamp that is super bright but has no red.
I'd hate to get jumped so I cant hit some of my regular spots. Theyre sketchy enough in the day time and at night would be bad to be at I think.

Any other tips? ;D

Upvote 0

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:
I dare you to watch the first paranormal activity movie....THEN go night hunting by yourself..in the woods!?!?

LOL!! YES!!! Any of that genre would do the trick.....The Ring 2 (Silver at 6 inches!)......The Blair Detector Project.....and Jaws 13 (just when you thought it was safe to use the smart notch mode again.....) LOL!!!

DeJa

digging wv

Sep 16, 2007
Cabin Creek
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted well into the night quite often. A normal flashlight (not a Maglight) with a red lense is the way to go. Provides adequate light without loss of nightvision. Ask anyone who has worked on a carrier flight deck at night. If you have no red lense, color it with a red magic marker. It's a little brighter though. :icon_thumleft:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder why you need to hunt at night? Not enough hours in the day? I hunt on the beaches in Thailand, and sometimes at night, but only because of catching the low tides. The beaches are lit up, so its not really hunting in the dark, and there are quite a few people on the beach, at all hours, so not really alone either. I try to keep my eyes open for drunk people or people in the shadows, then I just move out further from the shore. I have a head lamp, so hands are free for digging.

In the states, if I hit the parks, and wanted to be alone, then early morning hours. Take a friend along too, which is always a good idea anyway. As someone already said, hunting at night might also arouse the police, so unless you want to spend time explaining why you are out at midnight, just wait till the mornings early light, then you might have until noon to hunt without interuption.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
maipenrai said:
I just wonder why you need to hunt at night? Not enough hours in the day? I hunt on the beaches in Thailand, and sometimes at night, but only because of catching the low tides. The beaches are lit up, so its not really hunting in the dark, and there are quite a few people on the beach, at all hours, so not really alone either. I try to keep my eyes open for drunk people or people in the shadows, then I just move out further from the shore. I have a head lamp, so hands are free for digging.

In the states, if I hit the parks, and wanted to be alone, then early morning hours. Take a friend along too, which is always a good idea anyway. As someone already said, hunting at night might also arouse the police, so unless you want to spend time explaining why you are out at midnight, just wait till the mornings early light, then you might have until noon to hunt without interuption.

Good question and you sort of answered it yourself. If you get out of work lets say at five and go home and have dinner, its getting pretty dark, so if you want to detect after dinner in the winter months, you gotta go at night. There are not enough daylight hours in a day to detect after work.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe hunt first, then have dinner? Everyone has to decide for themselves, if they want the problems that come with night hunting. If its a park or other "hang out" place, I would avoid it. Even at the beach, if I see someone that is drunk, I pick another direction to hunt, since its a "no win" situation. A small park can easily be hunted in an hour, and you can get there before the other hunters are out.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not kill 2 birds with one stone.....& forget dinner all together? Just eat the worms you dig up when digging a plug. I hear their good protein!

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
maipenrai said:

I work all day some days and weekends so sometimes I get the itch and the only way its getting scratched is at night. Theres a different feeling finding something shiny at night. I don't know how to explain it. Your sense of hearing is peaked to compensate for your poor sight so those faint signals come in clearer? Might be a stretch but if you believe it then what else matters in your own mind.
Less foot traffic at night like if you wanted to hit a busy daytime curb strip and wouldn't even be able to hear your headphones over the cars and buses driving by. Its more of a challenge. You hunt in a different way so your more likely to find interesting things. In my opinion.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ewwww!!! I'm gonna puke! Have you tried armadillo tail...lmao??

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we are a bit off subject, but rat is good too, if its not a city rat, but born and raised in the rice paddy. I guess you wouldn't get very far on "Survivors", they usually have some special dishes there.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing like getting in a few hours in the dark on the beach then catching the sunrise, most of the time I have a hunting partner with me, always a headlamp (on when needed), and a flare gun (if needed).

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@OBN....golly jeepers.....sounds better than a soap opera! & not being sarcastic....

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Too bad some people can't hunt at night. A day without night hunting is like a day without sunshine. I'm from dairy country. A day without smelling cow manure is a like a day without night hunting.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I night hunt as often as I can. At the beach till 1:00 AM. When camping, especially in the winter when it gets dark sooner. Just find a safer area and go for it. I often go an hour before sunrise at the beach to get the tide.

Ed D.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this beach talk makes me jealous. I've only ever seen the Gulf. The closest thing I get to see to a beach is the city's sewer pond thing. One day, I'll get to see the ocean & a beach, & I can't wait.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you get there someday IC.......... for there is a mist that comes off the Ocean, early in the morning that is like the freshest air you have ever breathed. It's even better if you have dug some treasure........

Ed, hope to see you next summer................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions