Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
The funny thing about Pawnee National Grasslands is that you are allowed to metal detect. As in meteorites. You are not allowed to dig. They have to be on the surface. And if there happens to be a foundation near, even if you can't see it, or it is only two rocks piled on top of each other, you are guilty of destruction of a historical artifact. Take an arrowhead, take a rusty hinge, you are heading for serious trouble.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Your state isn't shown so I will just point the way. Ghost Townes and cache sites can be found in UNITED STATES TREASURE ATLAS by Thomas P. Terry There are ten volumes. They are listed by state and county. Some states have over 900 listings. Frank
PS check out E Bay or the library.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old maps and local history books from the library. Metal Magnet mentioned historicmapworks.com that's where I have found a lot of maps. It's mostly for the east coast region.

-Swartzie

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just talk to the older people or to hunters. Hunters will tell you where everything is!

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
cladHatter said:
I just talk to the older people or to hunters. Hunters will tell you where everything is!

hunters as in... deer hunters? or duck? or elk? please expand...

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
what i recommend before hunting schools,parks,and so on is to check with the city and county laws...alot of parks forbid hunting with metal detctors..but, people think they are too cute and go anyway..i know here in miami,florida a dude got his minelab confiscated by the police and arrested for a misd. of the 2nd degree for hunting a park...so, do it the right way..get permission first..
It would be interesting to know the full story behind this, because in 30 years of hunting I have been
places I should not have been, but was only told politely to leave.
Seems theres more to this than the police showed up and arrested him and took his machine...
Did he cuss them out for asking him to leave ?
what is the story behind this... ?
Its not at all out of the realm of possibility.Don't think so,bust out a detector at a State park,or any public utility ground(water Dist. etc)

Obviously if you go to a National Park, or Battlefield or National Historic site or some other Federal or State property that most people with common sense should know that you can't hunt then sure, you can get arrested and have you rod taken, but If I am in smallsville or Hicktown,
and see a local city park and jump out and start walking around,
I find it hard to believe that the CSI swat team will descend apon me and
arrest me and charge me with a 2nd class misdemeanor or felony.....
I don't know...

Easy to fix: just claim you're with "Occupy (fill in the name of YOUR town)" and it's all good! Trespassing is ignored and the police have been more than lenient with them as of yet....LOL :laughing7:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin Digger said:
Talk to old People.
When you tell them your hobby they love to spill the beans. :headbang:

Yep...at 56 I just plain remember places my folks took me and all the neighbors, etc. when I was little.

I use "Google Earth" a lot along with old aerial photos to dust off my memory and spot new sites. Learn how to use the map overlay feature in Google Earth. Awesome application. :thumbsup:

You'd be suprised how many little "corners" are untouched from places where the original county fair was before it's current location, the hill near where the original school house stood...that forgotten tiny plot of land no developer found useful so it sits. Quite a few places around that once had race tracks and are now developed but some of the flat land could still be undeveloped.

Believe me, those 100 square foot areas exist...perfect for detecting a few hours.

Al

Al;

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always on the lookout for places to hunt. I went to a yard sale on Saturday that was back in a neighborhood and found a small park surrounded by houses. I asked the person having the yard sale when her house was built and she said 1922. A friend and I went there today and we got 5 silver and 3 weaties in a couple hours. It obviously had never been hunted. Were going back tomorrow to hit it again but just keep your eyes open. Ask permission at a couple old houses. Try to find houses with yards that are not well manicured. I have found a ton of great spots by just asking. Good Luck :icon_pirat:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin Digger said:
Talk to old People.
When you tell them your hobby they love to spill the beans. :headbang:
Ain't that the Truth ! :laughing7:

Or look at,,,,, Wikimapia :coffee2:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Always cracks me up when someone says "been hunted out, nothing left", or "I found silver, it MUST be a virgin spot".

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Always cracks me up when someone says "been hunted out, nothing left", or "I found silver, it MUST be a virgin spot".

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Here's the reality...
A virgin spot will produce Hundreds of coins and every other kind of metal fabricated item, token, buckle or trinket, along with tons of things you've never seen or know what they are...

"A hunted, but not out" spot will produce a few nice coins between open empty area's that seem to
produce nothing.

"A hunted out place" May produce a few good finds after long hours of walking and digging every
"iffy" signal you come across....

and there you have the truth...

So if you only find a few coins, then no mater what you think personally... it's been hunted at some
point in the past...
just not by you....

;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread