Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above. :wink: I've found that one place usually leads to another. You'll be surprised once you get your foot in the door. After a couple of years, everyone in the neighborhood knows who the Geiger counter person is and it makes permission easier to gain...provided you've been a good steward on others property. :icon_thumright:

Nana :)

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Old photos and google maps. Big trees that were clearly planted by humans ie: like when theres 10 giant trees perfectly spaced out by 30 feet and all in a row with no other trees around.
your areas oldest churches, schools, banks, taverns, fairgrounds, railroad stations, factories converted into something else like condos or apts, military bases (if you can talk your way into one). Can go on for days with this topic.
Sometimes you have to go off the beaten path though.
hope this helps.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big trees thing is a dead givaway in my area. The place is so void of trees that any trees in the area attracted people.

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, minelab excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what i recommend before hunting schools,parks,and so on is to check with the city and county laws...alot of parks forbid hunting with metal detctors..but, people think they are too cute and go anyway..i know here in miami,florida a dude got his minelab confiscated by the police and arrested for a misd. of the 2nd degree for hunting a park...so, do it the right way..get permission first..

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have old Atlases from the 1860s and 1870s for our area that show all roads and all buildings clearly marked. Many times even with the owners name of the era. Using Google Earth "in the field" you can overlay the maps. Its literally a treasure map. When I started doing this 20 years ago we didn't have Google Earth and had to use the Rand McNally atlases for overlaying. What is amazing is that the roads are almost exactly the same as they were 150 years ago. So, when you find a house site along the road side in a farm field all you need is permission from the farmer. Then walk the field looking for bits of brick, shell and pottery. Ideally you'll find the site on a hill, near a creek or river. When you find this debris evidence and depending on the age of it (you'll soon figure out what salt glaze is), you'll find yourself in a mad scramble for the metal detectors "on" switch. Remember that any home that was around in the 1860s or 1870s could have easily been more than 100 years old at the time the atlases were made.

In our area the old roads were once Indian trails. Many of these old trails were created by deer or other wildlife. Meaning these main roads could be thousands of years old.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hurricane dale said:
what i recommend before hunting schools,parks,and so on is to check with the city and county laws...alot of parks forbid hunting with metal detctors..but, people think they are too cute and go anyway..i know here in miami,florida a dude got his minelab confiscated by the police and arrested for a misd. of the 2nd degree for hunting a park...so, do it the right way..get permission first..

It would be interesting to know the full story behind this, because in 30 years of hunting I have been
places I should not have been, but was only told politely to leave.
Seems theres more to this than the police showed up and arrested him and took his machine...
Did he cuss them out for asking him to leave ?
what is the story behind this... ?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Friends, family, acquaintances - anyone with whom you're on good terms and who might own old homes, farms, etc. I've been metal detecting seriously for a little over a year and have only been turned down once - and even that was not a solid "no." I still might get the ok there. If you own property, start there. I found my first wheat penny in my front yard.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
hurricane dale said:

It would be interesting to know the full story behind this, because in 30 years of hunting I have been
Seems theres more to this than the police showed up and arrested him and took his machine...
Its not at all out of the realm of possibility.Dont think so,bust out a detector at a State park,or any public utility ground(water Dist. etc)

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting going can be tough, I know. I would say your first order of business is to do your own property and then ask everyone you know, especially if they own older homes. This will also lead to more leads. I have hunted a ton of places this year just because someone asked a buddy for me and they said sure. It pays to let people know what your hobby is.

As stated above, it also pays to do the right thing, every time. No shortcuts. Treat people's property with the utmost respect and you will get more leads. Also stated above, know the laws and abide by them.

Also, check out historicmapworks.com and historicaerials.com Both are awesome sources of information, especially the aerial one if it shows stuff in your area. It has a "Compare" drop down at the top that allows you slide between years. This is super helpful in pinpointing locations.

Trust me, in time, you will have more places to hunt than you can get to.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Parks. My best finds come from pounded parks, 50+ silvers every year from the local parks. Large cents, seated silver, 2-centers, the list goes on and on. Don't listen when they say there's nothing left. Good luck!

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
How to get your detector snagged: Have in in your hand within 100 yrds of an "old" foundation in Pawnee National Grasslands. Draws Rangers from 40 miles around. They will take your detector, your dog, your car, and maybe your wife. Guaranteed.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A combination of research and blind luck. The research can lead you to an old area but not every site, especially early ones, are recorded. Sometimes it's best to take the time to explore some good looking spots in old areas.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Check your county courthouse for earliest plat maps. These will show where the first homesteads are/were, and allow you to relocate them on today's maps. Check out how much these families were taxed, and you have a good beginning of where to search for caches, too.

It takes some time, and may require you to ask for help. Do it! You will learn more about your county's history in a hurry.

Another excellent source is the most detailed county history you can find. Try to keep it local if possible. The further away, the more your traveling will cost you. Tried and true method, though.

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Alot of good advice. I also stop and ask farmers if they know any spots in there fields where they see brick or glass. Always get permission. Try mding in SC especialy around Charleston without it. Pretty sure its a $500 trespassing fine now. Alot of big tracts of timber have plantation sites but they also have little signs on trees prohibiting relic hunting. Goodluck n hh.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not at all out of the realm of possibility.Don't think so,bust out a detector at a State park,or any public utility ground(water Dist. etc)

Obviously if you go to a National Park, or Battlefield or National Historic site or some other Federal or State property that most people with common sense should know that you can't hunt then sure, you can get arrested and have you rod taken, but If I am in smallsville or Hicktown,
and see a local city park and jump out and start walking around,
I find it hard to believe that the CSI swat team will descend apon me and
arrest me and charge me with a 2nd class misdemeanor or felony.....
I don't know...

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
TORRERO said:
hurricane dale said:

I've only been doing this for a short while but have had no problems so far with at least 1000+ hours of detecting. I'm not real good at getting permission for places that are meant for public use. EXCEPT the obvious STATE PARKS / Historic Property I thought that was the first thing we all learned when we first got a metal detector. Even if you get permission from park ranger A one day doesn't mean the next day park ranger B won't spray you with some bear mace. :laughing9:
I always read the signs for any park I go into though before hand. Sometimes they specifically say NO METAL DETECTING or sometimes the wording is sketchy like "this park can not be used for any personal gain". Be smart. Even if the park doesn't say you can't metal detect but has a giant bulletin board behind some glass with over 100 rules and regulations for the park I just move along. Clearly they are park "nazis" and will add that to their list of things you can't do in a park. After the police come and take you away for some goofy park rule. There are actually parks around me that you can't picnic at??? Its easy enough to find dirt to sweep over with no rules.
The police around my way have much better things to do. Thought miami police would too. Remind me to never go there. When in doubt though I just don't detect the area. Especially if it might be historic and I just don't know it. Some people just don't know how to speak to the police or anyone for that matter. Sounds like that cop just wanted a free metal detector off of an a**hole.
Or I could be way way off base and I apologize if this was a friend of yours.
In conclusion - i'll take my chances. Adds to the excitement. Besides, i'm just too "cute" to be arrested :tongue3:

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk to old People.