deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get under power lines with my Vision with a 5"DD coil on it. Can't with my 6000DiPro.

Try and see.

Al

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I detected under 14,480V power lines this weekend with absolutely no trouble. I have an AT Pro, you should be fine.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my back yard if I raise my MD into the air I'm touching the line into the house. No interference at all. A similar line the other day had my ACE 250 squealing like a pig. I had to turn the sensitivity way, way down.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had much interference from over head lines, I just back off the sensitivity a little if needed. Now underground lines can send me running away. Fortunately they usually only effect a few feet and you can get away from them.

Ed D.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace 250 would sometimes false under power lines so I learned to avoid them. My other detectors seem to do OK. Monty

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on many things. All you can do is try and see.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you ever detected a salt beach just before a storm with a PI machine? I was foolish enough to allow the storm to roll in... even hearing all the thunder in the phones. I hid under a wooden porch as the strikes hit the sand in front of me. NEVER AGAIN! TTC

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I was detecting in PA this last weekend. When I got out of the vehicle, I was right under the power lines. When I got out the XLT and turned it on it worked OK, but when I got out the PI and turned it on I got pulsing from the power lines. The lines were app. 30' overhead. When we went to the detecting site, app. 110' away, the PI worked OK. It even seemed to be more sensitive to targets. I was picking up Iron at 3'. Frank

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem I had with my ACE 250 was that I couldn't tell a false signal from a real signal and sometimes I did find a coin but it was just about a 50-50 toss up. Little lines into a home wouldn't bother it, but the big high voltage lines drove me nuts. Monty

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
The problem I had with my ACE 250 was that I couldn't tell a false signal from a real signal and sometimes I did find a coin but it was just about a 50-50 toss up. Little lines into a home wouldn't bother it, but the big high voltage lines drove me nuts. Monty
Good one Monty.... coin.... 50-50 toss up. TTC

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry.....that's hilarious. Did the lightning zap anything valuable? Lol.....I'd die to see a picture of your experience.....I'm sitting here cracking up just picturing it...cuz I know how it is

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:
Terry.....that's hilarious. Did the lightning zap anything valuable? Lol.....I'd die to see a picture of your experience.....I'm sitting here cracking up just picturing it...cuz I know how it is
It wasn't funny at the time. They were striking about 50 feet away! I dug into the sand and tried to be VERY SMALL! How deep? I was finding chinese coins! Nothing damaged.... except fingertip skin. Hint.... Try to pinpoint the strikes. The melted sand cone "worms" are VERY collectable! Good to hear from ya. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread