Do you dig all those pennies or leaveem?

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Do you dig all those pennies or leave'em?

Dig em all...My last penny (so I thought) was a ring about 6 inches down!

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010

Oh yeah...I dig it all...it adds to my treasure chest.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I dig everything non ferrous (plus some ferrous to for that matter). Who knows what really good find lies a few inches below the penny but masked by it ?

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think when I get to Heaven one of the things I will ask God is to show me all of the "good" targets that I passed up because I didn't like the signal. Not that it will matter at that point. ;D

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro

Dig it all !

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008

Coin Digger said:
I start out digging the zinc pennies but after a while I get tired of them, it's almost like digging pull tabs. Copper pennies show up as dimes so I don't pass those up, knowing their worth more makes them worth it. One thing I've noticed is, if your hunting an area and all your finding is zinc pennies, than chances are someone cherry picked the area.
I was reading about someone who is mining the banks. He takes a couple of hundred dollars to the bank and exchanges them for pennies. He sorts out the pre 1982 pennies and anything after 1982 he returns.

He then takes the pre 1982's and.......don't do this at home as it is totally illegal......he melts them down in his blast furnace along with scrap wire and anything else copper he can find and then takes the ingots to a local scrap yard. He more than doubles his money for just a little bit of work. Copper pennies are 95% copper with tin and zinc.

Again do not do this as it is totally illegal. The fines are 5 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. But he does make some pretty good cash with this. I keep all copper pennies as they are worth more than 1 cent.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Coin Digger said:
Someone said how bad zinc pennies look, has any one noticed how bad the new nickels look coming out of the ground.

I had noticed that on a couple of nickels, but I just thought it was where I was hunting. I'll pay more attention to my nickels.

Yes I dig zinc and copper pennies.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I try to not dig zinc pennies, but they are fun for my grand kids to dig up. One park in particular has hundreds of zinc pennies right in front of the parking area and there once were thousands. I think my grand kids are digging them up faster than they are being dropped! Their ages run from 1 year to 13 years. The little ones still have fun with it but my 13 year old has discovered boys! Now if I could just find her a boyfriend that likes to detect. Monty

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I dig 'em all. It's called metal detecting. I try to stay ahead of the rocking chair. If it catches up, it's over for me! TTC

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

mostly pass up pennies and sometimes dimes...they get in the way of silver and wheats

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Keppy said:
I dig them all ..... I take any kind of coin i can get.........

Me too. I dig everything that sounds like any coin!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dig them! They can be large gold rings! Sometimes Indian head pennies!

prodrigsr

Mar 12, 2008
South Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ6a and Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Dig 'em up!!

Mostly mems , this is what I have so far this year:

Attachments

• contest 007.jpg
    contest 007.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 964

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i have to confess that after about 2 hours i get lazy and start to pass up the signal that i think are pennys . i know that i should dig everything so having said that when that starts happening i will usually just call it a day and start over another day. Suprdav

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Some people say that all the good stuff is gone, hunted out by the first generation of detectorists.

I say the reason these detectorists found so much good stuff is because they didn't have discrimination machines to interpret and they dug every signal. There is plenty left, only we choose what to dig now and we walk right over some serious finds thanks to discrimination and interpretation.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer

I dig everything.Two or more pull tabs in a group can mask over a good target a few inchs away that's an inch or two deeper. I went over an area that I dug minutes earlier and found a merc dime that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread