Pro Pointer vs Others (I know its been done before)

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this subject has been beaten into the ground over and over and over.... just like everyone one else... I have an opinion too... I but I will back mine up with facts...

so for those who want to know why the Pro Pointer is better.... here it is...

#1 The Pro Pointer IS more sensitive
#2 The Pro Pointer has a proximity sensor (it get faster the closer you get tot he target)
#3 The Pro Pointer has an on off switch its not a button so it is hands free (don't have to hold the button down)
#4 The Pro Pointer has a LED light
#5 The Pro Pointer has a vibrating motor in it that is in sync with the proximity sensor (its vibrates faster the closer you get)
#6 The Pro Pointer is smaller and you can get further into a hole
#7 The Pro Pointer is far far more durable
#8 The Pro Pointer has detection up the shaft not just at the tip (yes that helps a lot)
#9 The Pro Pointer has a 2 YEAR Warranty (but its not likely you ever use it)
#10 The Pro Pointer can be made water proof by covering the speaker holes and the on/off switch

Downfalls of the Pro Pointer

Its costly but well worth it
No modifications can be made but you don't need to
Not waterproof but it can be made to be waterproof

When you have a quality product it speaks for it self... and the Pro Pointer does.

Did I miss anything? so in my opinion the FACTS says it all

Chukers

Upvote 0

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chukers, believe it or not you did forget one feature or maybe I misread one.
The Pin Pointer can be fine tuned by turning it off and then back on while leaving it in the hole. This ground balances to its surroundings so you can really zero in on your target.
ZDD

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zodiacdiverdave said:
The Pin Pointer can be fine tuned by turning it off and then back on while leaving it in the hole. This ground balances to its surroundings so you can really zero in on your target.
ZDD

Ya learn something new every day... I did not know that!

Thanks

Chukers

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree this pinpointer is TOPS! I have owned two other brands and definitely find the propointer the best. I agree with all of the pro's but will add a con: the audio cannot be silenced. I hunt in places and at times such that I try to stay quiet. I wish there was a vibrate mode to this pinpointer. I have taped up the speaker to make it more silent, but it still sounds. Oh well, it is still worth using this little gem!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zodiacdiverdave said:
ZDD

Sweet Information!!! I'm going to Give it A try this Weekend!!!!! Chug

P.S. Love the Post

Just a reminder It will also Let you Know When the Battery is Low By making Long weird sounds!!! Always Carry a back up!!!!
If not Just turn it off For a few Seconds Then Back one And It should Be OK for A Minute If you forgot to Change the Battery!!!! Done this a few times!!!! I thought I was Having Problems the first few times with it Then Changed the Battery All Better!!! ;D ;D ;D

If you Need It to be Quiet dbsmonkey try adding A layer of Cloth behind the Tape It should Help Buffer the Sound More!!!

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
Sweet Information!!! I'm going to Give it A try this Weekend!!!!! Chug

P.S. Love the Post

Just a reminder It will also Let you Know When the Battery is Low By making Long weird sounds!!! Always Carry a back up!!!!
If not Just turn it off For a few Seconds Then Back one And It should Be OK for A Minute If you forgot to Change the Battery!!!! Done this a few times!!!! I thought I was Having Problems the first few times with it Then Changed the Battery All Better!!! ;D ;D ;D

If you Need It to be Quiet dbsmonkey try adding A layer of Cloth behind the Tape It should Help Buffer the Sound More!!!

Thanks! I am going to try the cloth!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten mud in the speaker holes on accident and it muted it quite a bit... try something like that... silicone... it will always come out easy enough.

Chukers

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to the other great features, one can judge the size and depth of an object with a little experience.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In comparison to the cost of others why not just buy the ProPointer?

It is a great product. One of Garret's finest!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I must admit it has a neat shape and $150 extra reasons why I didn't buy it.
Your #1 is bull! there is a video on T Net that tested it against HF. They both picked up the dime at 1". You can't mod it. It is hard to open without destroying the switch and there is no room in there. You can add a vibrator to the HF. I have added a blue led to the HF that comes on when it detects the target. You never forget to turn it off! The propointer has had a rash of board failers as reported here on T Net. My HF has lasted over a year. Yes the early ones had bad switches which cost about $1.50 to replace and can be obtained from Radio Shack and if you like an on/off switch, it is easy to change. You say it changes the frequency of sound as it gets closer to the target. Get real! your talking about a distance of about 1". If you havent found it by then, well good luck! I must admit though that I don't go around sticking mine in the water. I only use it on land. Am I biased,you bet by about $150. Frank

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
I must admit it has a neat shape and $150 extra reasons why I didn't buy it.
Your #1 is bull! there is a video on T Net that tested it against HF. They both picked up the dime at 1". You can't mod it. It is hard to open without destroying the switch and there is no room in there. You can add a vibrator to the HF. I have added a blue led to the HF that comes on when it detects the target. You never forget to turn it off! The propointer has had a rash of board failers as reported here on T Net. My HF has lasted over a year. Yes the early ones had bad switches which cost about $1.50 to replace and can be obtained from Radio Shack and if you like an on/off switch, it is easy to change. You say it changes the frequency of sound as it gets closer to the target. Get real! your talking about a distance of about 1". If you havent found it by then, well good luck! I must admit though that I don't go around sticking mine in the water. I only use it on land. Am I biased,you bet by about $150. Frank

ok #1 you mean a video like this?

#2 like I said who wants to waste the time modding something after you buy it... I'd rather be out hunting
#3 All electronic has a certain percentage of failures doesn't matter who makes it.
#4 it don't change frequency it changes how fast it beeps... it gets faster when you are closer it makes recovery unbelievably fast

you say your HF lasted a year? glad to hear it... I bet you don't get out much do you... because if you did you'd either broke the HF or you'd have enough clad to buy you a Pro Pointer... I hunt 3 to 5 times a week... my Pro Pointer is 17 months old and I have literally wore my pro pointer down 1/2 inch its all scraped up and all the paint is wore off... but it works as good as it did when it was new... try that with a HF pin pointer heck try it with 7 of them! oh wait that is $140... oh maybe you should of got a Pro Pointer it was only $125 and its still going strong and it will for many years to come.

Ya know something The only reason I posted this thread is because I am in the electronic/computer/gadget/ business I have been for over 20 years and I tell people all the time what is best for the money they are spending and it doesn't matter what you buy if you spend a little more you get a better product and that's all I am doing here is letting others know where their money is best spent. If durability was the only factor for this product then the Pro Pointer would win hands down, but it does so much more its just one of those products that is obviously worth every penny.

If you can't afford one I understand that too... buy you a HF pin pointer but save up for a Pro Pointer you'll be glad you did. Quit putting down the Pro Pointer because it cost more... it is a better product and that is all there is to it.

the only ground you have to stand on is that the HF pin pointer is cheap! and you are absolutely correct! so be happy about that.

I know people like to argue just to argue... but come on when someone like me offers the FACTS and you still argue? give it up!

Chukers

P.S. I know this only gives you more fuel to argue with but I expect someone like you to be that way... so have at it. Have a great day!

Chukers

Attachments

• Pro Pointer.JPG
    Pro Pointer.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,363

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Chuckers, I have always said,you get what you pay for! Like you,I worked a job for 27 years as a Machine Repair Technician,you know the PROPER tool,by the way,I believe my next investment will be a Pro Pointer,and,I hope I wear it down just like you did!!!!!! God Bless HH Chris

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post with video confirmation to back it up. I understand, with finances being what they are today, that money is tight and going with a cheaper pinpointer is the only option some have. However, it never ceases to amaze me how some will spend 1200.00 to 1500.00 on a metal detector but hesitate to spend money for a good pinpointer and headphones, which have proven to enhance recovery of targets. JMHO.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can mod the Pro Pointer. It requires some doing... but there are vids and posts on techie forums on how to do them.

1 mod can be done with a nickel and some tape....and it works to increase the range on them.

If you look at the users manual it shows the rating for waterproofing. It can withstand high pressure water jets for 15 minutes without water getting in it.

Accidents happen.... and the pro pointer survives them... dropping it in the water.... or accidentally stepping on it with your full weight.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say that while I like the Pro Pointer (my buddy has one), I like the DetectorPro Pistol Probe better. As far as depth, there's no comparison between the two (5"+ on a nickle and can be adjusted down if you like). The Pistol Probe has four different modes. 'Always on' 'High volume' 'Low volume' or LED only. Threshold and Frequency is adjustable and it's built like a tank and it's sensitive to small gold nuggets.

Now for the cons: It's big, no vibrate(if you care because it has LED only function) and can sort of look like a gun from a distance but all you have to do is wrap the barrel with some 3M yellow or orange adhesive vinyl.

I like the Pro Pointer and would be perfectly happy to own one (It's a great pinpointer) but I see no need to switch from what I have.

Here's a video I found on Youtube comparing the 2.
Hope you find this helpful.
HH
John

P,S, I also own the DeterPro Uniprobe but didn't mention it because it's much more that just a pinpointer. It's also a great set of headphones and also a PI detector with the addition of the optional 8" or 11" PI coil and rod. It's also much deeper than the Pro Pointer. It's expensive but a good deal when you add it all up.

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to add, the pro-pointer also DOES have a momentary switch. If you lightly hold the button down you can target with it, when you release the button it turns off. No reason to mod it for that, it already has one.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Chukers, That video was a waste of time. The one in the technical section holds the pinpointer in a clamp and moves a coin up to the tip over a scale. It shows the pro and HF pick up a dime at the same distance. I said it changes the frequency of the pulsing not the tone frequency!
I admit you do go out more frequently than I, But I am basically a cache hunter. When I go out it might be for weeks on location. I don't save clad to buy my goodies, I sell the gold. I could go out and buy a couple of pro's today and not miss the money, but I refuse to pay extra for a name on a product. I worked in electronics for 32 years and I have seen what you get for the money. I saw one co. that made an electronic part with a big name on it for $6 and sold it for $600. So I know that you don't always get what you pay for. I have been in just about every Co. army base and government instillation in Md. working on electronic equipment so I know how business works.
I understand that some things have a cult following, but I am not one to follow the crowd. someone said you can modify a pro, but I bet he never has. Enjoy your expensive toy. Frank

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I said you can modify a Pro Pointer.

Besides doing the coin trick...then no...

Tell ya what.... I'll take my pointer and submerge it for 30 seconds on video and turn it back on if you will do the same with the Cen Tech :o

Deal?

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Chukers, That video was a waste of time. The one in the technical section holds the pinpointer in a clamp and moves a coin up to the tip over a scale. It shows the pro and HF pick up a dime at the same distance. I said it changes the frequency of the pulsing not the tone frequency!
I admit you do go out more frequently than I, But I am basically a cache hunter. When I go out it might be for weeks on location. I don't save clad to buy my goodies, I sell the gold. I could go out and buy a couple of pro's today and not miss the money, but I refuse to pay extra for a name on a product. I worked in electronics for 32 years and I have seen what you get for the money. I saw one co. that made an electronic part with a big name on it for $6 and sold it for $600. So I know that you don't always get what you pay for. I have been in just about every Co. army base and government instillation in Md. working on electronic equipment so I know how business works.
I understand that some things have a cult following, but I am not one to follow the crowd. someone said you can modify a pro, but I bet he never has. Enjoy your expensive toy. Frank

Your a cache hunter and you don't hunt that often? Umm why are you even arguing? No wonder you don't think its necessary to have a good pin pointer you don't even use the one you got. just give it up at this point you have zero creditability with me on this subject. why do you have to argue a point that your obviously wrong about. I don't know you nor do I want to know you (because of this line of posts) I'm sure your a great guy on the wrong end of a conversation. go post about a cache or two you found I'd love to read it. You could redeem your self.

Have a great day and good hunting!

Chukers

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay, whats up Chukers, you seem to be pushing your pro pointer so hard you missed the point!
It is value for money spent ! Read, $160-$16= money saved. Is that simple enough for you to digest? Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread