Anybody use a flip video camcorder when hunting?

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought one of those new pocket camcorders, mine was a Sanyo. What I can tell you is you need to watch the format they use to record with.
MPEG 2 is DVD quality and eiser on the computer, the new MPEG 4/H.264 are the newest format thats being pushed. MPEG 4/H.264 is pretty much standard for the new pocket camcorders and most are 1080p Blu Ray quality. The video is amazing on my HDTV in the living room. The problem I ran into is it takes a lot of computer horse power to edit the MPEG 4/H.264. I spent more on upgrades than I did the camcorder. I thought while I was at it I might as well get a Blu Ray burner, that was a waste of money, because my HDTV will take a memory card that I can put my HD home movies on and play.
Made my head spin.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured it would work well with short videos since that would be all i was doing

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I forgot to add their fun and convenient to use. They would work great MDing. Check out the Kodak Playsport Zx3. It's water proof.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Just curious, why video? Most THs use still shots to display finds. Its cheaper, easier to edit, and you wind up with a high quality image. Most would rather examine a still shot than watch a fleeting image on a video. Think about it. Frank
PS Get that pinpointer yet?

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of people who like watching other users videos about their finds. I have a youtube account and want to start putting videos up and figured metal detecting videos would be a good start. The flip video can also take still images from video, so I could do that as well.

And no, I havent gotten a pinpointer yet..I broke a bone in my hand so im prolly not detecting anymore this year cuz winters comin soon

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the Kodak Playsport Zx3 and I'm getting one... I don't think you can beat it for the price. :icon_pirat:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the Playsport and it is simple to use. I've only held it underwater to take a pic of a snapping turtle and a bluegill but haven't edited them.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Bobby, here's your big chance!!! But only if there is an hhgregg store near you. On Friday, Nov 25 midnight-11am only they have 50 Vivitar digital video camcorders per store for $14.99 AFTER a $5 mail in rebate. Go for it ! Frank

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I see a lot of treasure hunters using the GOPRO HD cameras. They can be worn and make great videos. Plus it is waterproof and is High definition. Can't beat them.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Kodak Playsport Zx3, like Mike and Sandman said..I have the non water proof version...excellent video. I also use the Tachyon's the small one is brand new (no Video yet), Hi def, the other I have used for a couple years. It's waterproof, it captures the audio of the detector, and is waterproof. But I would highly recommend the playsport zx3 also good in low lite...

Zx3 HD

Tachyon XC larger not HD

Attachments

• SNAG-0001.jpg
    SNAG-0001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 488

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I am new to MD'ing, and I also have had a flip for a couple years now... It will work perfect, there are many imitations out there, I know that the cheaper ones can suck (I tried a cheaper one before i got the flip cam). go pro would work the best if you can afford it, (I havent gotten one yet, but have several friends that have them.) For anyone who thinks stills are better, that is what it awesome about these little video cams, they are hard drive now, and they all come with software that allows you to do some neat things, one of them being the ability to be watching your recording, and make stills as you go, so you can get the very best pictures from the vidoes.

Get the Flip, cant go wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread