Crappy hearing and metal detectors

B

Booby

Newbie here. I would like to know if some of you have tinnitis (ringing in the ears) and how it may or may not effect you using head phones. What decipel are the sounds for nugget detecting? Maybe I can figure it out if I can determine what decipel my ears ring at? About 8 years ago I bought a White Goldmaster II, but have never learned how to use it, other than to find bottle caps. I'll be retiring in about 8 months and itching to start doing some detectin'. All the help I can get would sure be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Booby

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Booby

Besides having crappy hearing, I'm a little brain dead too. I meant to say what tone is the signal? High pitch, medium, low? Sorry :-[

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Hey booby make yourself a test plot with the stuff you want to find (change, siver, gold, through in some trash) and practice detecting the area to learn what sounds like what to your ears and machine. No one can tell you what stuff will sound to your ears if you have a hearing problem.

OP
OP
B

Booby

Claudius thanks for your reply. Thats a great idea. All I need is 8 AA's and I'll give it a shot. If my test fails I guess I will just have to stick with panning, sluicing, and maybe some dredging. My intentions is to find something a little easier on my body. But if I succeed then I just may have to upgrade to maybe an mxt or minelab! Thanks again, Booby

OP
OP
B

Booby

Thats Cladius.....Cladius....Cladius. Sorry, Booby

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
Booby,
I am using a Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Bounty Hunter Tracker IV). It is a very basic motion machine that has all metal or discriminate. Besides the tone it has a real meter. If one can't here the tone just watch the needle move on the meter. I like it better than my touchpads. It reads on dry soil, wet ground, lake beaches and into the water up to the control panel. It takes two 9 volt batteries and just keeps on a running. Very light weight. I have found all kinds of clad coins, silver ones, all kinds of fishing items, old knives, lipsticks, men's gold ring, etc. P.S. Touchpads tend to jump around and if the sun is on them you can't read them. With some of them one has to move slow over the ground - not with my Radio Shack. It's fast. Gretchen.

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
:Dhey booby-I have the same thing;I just turn up the volume on each headphone until I cant hear it anymore-it is worse in my left esr,I just balance the volume level on both sides. ::)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Still have ringing in my left ear but that was caused by my wife's skillet, Now my headphones don't fit right. may have to put a light bulb fitted to a headphne plug.

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
stoney56 said:
Still have ringing in my left ear but that was caused by my wife's skillet, Now my headphones don't fit right. may have to put a light bulb fitted to a headphne plug.

LOL..

I've never had ringing in my ears -- other than after a very loud concert... But I would guess that some type of a pitch bender cicruit would help... Bend the tone enough so it doesn't "align" with the rining in your ears..

D

dig2china

I have the same problem as you. I wear hearing aids in both ears. I have found when u use earphones if you set your hearing aid on the telephone? setting you'll have no problem, otherwise you'll get more feedback than you could hear with. My hearing is soooo bad, without my hearing aids all Id ever hear is that damed ringing, why I'd probably blow out both ear drums before I'd hear anything. Dig2china? ?:o? ;D

Radioactive

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2005
South Florida
I substituted a piezo sonalert with a miniature vibrating motor. They are for sale from All Electronics under motors. It cost $1.25 plus shipping. I mounted it in the handle and wedged it in with a piece of PVC. This was for a friend who was deaf, but wanted to do metal detecting. This worked great with the two speed type of motor. Remember to bridge it with a 1N914 diode and a .001 cap. It will not work with an oscillator type tone metal detector unit, or I should say without modification of the unit itself. He now really enjoys the hobby and when he swings it over a coin at vibrates in his hand in the handle of the detector. The motor is a 3volt model that is used in cell phones and pagers. I allways look around at flea markets for old pagers that have vibrate motors in them. I can pick them up for 50 cents or so. A wealth of parts to use. Here is the link to All Electronics if you need it. http://www.allelectronics.com/ Remember to click on the left under motors.

Robert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread