Beginner looking for Metal Detector purchase advice

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, Ive always been interested in looking for things and searching for valuables but now Im just ready to begin actually doing it.

I need advice on which metal detector to purchase.

Im mainly interested in looking for coins and artifacts. I live in Michigan and mostly would be looking on land, although there are a few beaches I would like to try.

Since Im starting at the beginning Im looking for a detector that is easy to use but effective. Id be willing to pay up to 300 dollars if there is a difference in quality and effectiveness.

Please recommend brands and models for me to suggest as a gift idea for christmas. Ill be happy to answer questions if you want more info for the recommendation.

I appreciate any and all help :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a used Famous Trails "used" metal detector sold at radio shack, it was so so, I then saw on ebay & bidded on a "private Estate Sale" A 1980 Tesoro "Golden Sabre" metal detector and won! I phoned the Great people at Tesoro and they told me it was the one of the first metal detectors they sold in the hayday! I paid
about 138.00 and I told they go for at east $250.00 Tesoro's wounderful people sent me a new battery pack & Battery cover. It finds coins great! I found a melted Silver slag piece and a antique amusement coin as well as a couple of 40 year old pennies a silver dime & quarter. last week I found Gold but when I dusted it off it turned out to be a Gold Filled Del Taco 5 year pin! lol
Later I found out it was from a friends hat which it fell off when she was gold panning.
So I have found the best Customer Service is Tesoro. The Lobo super track is great for finding gold nuggets.
Others are fine but my old one has all the notch switch with all metal or reject switch as well as metal types.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all work that were mentioned however you gotta spend alot of time with whatever 1 you choose (this being the most important thing) Also later in life you will want & need a pinpointer!

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DON'T DO IT! RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN AND YOUR MONEY'S IN YOUR POCKET. :laughing7: Once you start there's no stopping, it just gets worse and worse. :tongue3: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread