Beginner looking for Metal Detector purchase advice

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, Ive always been interested in looking for things and searching for valuables but now Im just ready to begin actually doing it.

I need advice on which metal detector to purchase.

Im mainly interested in looking for coins and artifacts. I live in Michigan and mostly would be looking on land, although there are a few beaches I would like to try.

Since Im starting at the beginning Im looking for a detector that is easy to use but effective. Id be willing to pay up to 300 dollars if there is a difference in quality and effectiveness.

Please recommend brands and models for me to suggest as a gift idea for christmas. Ill be happy to answer questions if you want more info for the recommendation.

I appreciate any and all help :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I suggest seeing if there is a MD club or other people in your area detecting already. Seek them out to see what they are using and why. It's too easy to buy something and have it end up in a closet because it was harder to learn about than you expected. Its also more fun to find some potential THer partners to MD with.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located? A club is your best bet and there are many. As for detectors you are going to get a lot of suggestions from members. I suggest you look into getting a Tesoro as they pinpoint extremely well and have a life time warranty. Look in the yellow pages for a local dealer so you can handle the things in person to choose. Here is a link for some if you can't find a local dealer. http://www.kellycodetectors.com/tesoro/tesoro.php

The Silver Umax is a great one and has the lifetime warranty if you ever need it which you won't. The Garrett ACE 250 is also a nice one to use to start.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree to the Garrett Ace 250... I don't know much about Torsos except the life time warranty and they are light weight and they have no screen...

I have a top of the line detector (V3i) and have the Ace 250 as a back up if that tells you anything.

Chukers

OP
OP
S

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the replies so far. I live in southwest Michigan and I just looked and there is a club that is about 30 minutes away, as well as a metal detector shop.

Ive written down the Tesoro and the Garrett Ace and will research them.

I also have an opporunity to get a used Bounty Hunter Platinum for about 200, which seems like a good deal since they retail around 600. Is this too advanced for a beginner to use or is there quality issues with this brand?

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With a maximum of $300, I would recommend you look into the following:

Fisher F2

Garrett Ace 250

Teknetics Delta

Tesoro Compadre

Tesoro Silver uMax

Of these, my personal recommendation is the Tesoro Compadre. I is also the cheapest of the group at only $160. It has the lifetime warranty and is one of the best coin and jewelry hunters you can buy. It gets about 6" depth, which is where 95% of your targets will be found.

Take the rest your budget and buy yourself a decent digger, like a Lesche, and get yourself a Garrett Propointer. Those two tools are invaluable and together with the Compadre, should run you about $330 plus tax.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHUCK....u be nice about Torso's!!! Meanie!!

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
CHUCK....u be nice about Torso's!!! Meanie!!

hey I only said they don't have a display... that is not mean... well the low end ones don't

Chukers

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHUCKKKK.....that's it.....were on!!!! Where are you now?? Its time I teach you the tricks of the trade....LMAO.....bring you're junk bag baby!!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Tesoros and torsos will be around for a good long time. I have found almost all that I have ever found with analog machines. Ones without displays. Good ones. Really good ones. And some older classics ones. You know the ones. I like the new digital ones with visual displays, but I just cant find myself looking at the frikin displays. It's all just a bit of madness I guess.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Bounty Hunter Platinum and it really sniffs out the coins. It ID's coins spot on, depth read out is dead on, pin pointing takes a little work. The menu is simple to navigate, it's light as a feather and the build quality is excellent. Has auto ground balance which is sweet. I've found clad dimes at 7" many times and thats pretty good in my book and it like nickels. It also has lighting fast target response, just slow your swing down and lower the sensitivity and it's a killer in trash.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to gleaner....& look at his finds!!!this will answer your ?!!! Trust me!!!

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro is a fine brand and well made and gets the job done, but they are not keeping up with todays technology. Their flagship Cortés TID machine is using close to 10 years old technolgy. I have an F2, and at one time I also owned the Cortés. The F2 ran circles around it in ever department. Thats $721 Cortés vs $199 F2. One other thing about the Tesoro brand is, almost all of their detectors are beep dig, so you tend to dig a lot of trash. If you think a beep dig machine is what you'd like to try with out to much investment, you can get an older Whites Classic series off Ebay for $150 and sometimes less. Having said that it can be easy to get burned on a used machine. I Know >:(
Let me throw you another curve ball. First Texas Products makes the Fisher, Teknetics and Bounty Hunter brands. They share the same components across the different brands. While doing my research on the Bounty Hunter Platinum ($299) I called First Texas and they confirmed it shared the same electronics with the Teknetics Gamma 6000 ($599)with a few changes to the features. What ever you do don't fall for the hype that you have to spend more on a machine to find more, it's just not true. 99% of your finds will be less than 6" what you want is one that gives good discrimination so your not digging trash.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro's are some nice machines you can pick up a delion or a cortes if you don't mind spending around 515. Delion and around 675 for the cortes. Myself I have three tesoro's and a minlab Exterra 705. But you should do what everyone does start out with a low end machine garrett ace 250 to see if you like the hobby or not then you can always sell it and buy you a better machine. A charter member has a 250 on sale in the advertisements.. Check it out. Hey Candy Nice coments we need to stick up for tesoro. HH everyone

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@freddy.....right on bud!! I'd never have any other. Man, I want a umax so bad....I can TASTE it!!! & @ "coin digger" you had a tesoro, you'd no longer be "coin digger"....we could call you "coin finder"......!!! Tesoro backs up their quality with a LIFETIME guarantee baby!!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Write down all the tectors that sell for 300 bucks on little pieces of paper. Throw the little pieces of paper in a hat. Have someone you love draw out one piece of paper from the hat. Buy that tector. Get going! Soon, there will be nothing left to find no matter what tector you get.

OP
OP
S

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanted to say thanks for the all responses, it seems like an overwhelming amount of info and choices, but as long as I stick to the basic ones it looks like Ill be ok.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea gleaner! Can't go wrong that way!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And sk, look at gleaners pictures of his finds...if that doesn't help ya make a decision....don't know what will!!! Good luck bud!!

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:
@freddy.....right on bud!! I'd never have any other. Man, I want a umax so bad....I can TASTE it!!! & @ "coin digger" you had a tesoro, you'd no longer be "coin digger"....we could call you "coin finder"......!!! Tesoro backs up their quality with a LIFETIME guarantee baby!!!

That's funny "coin finder" and I had a Tesoro and sold it off for a better machine after my F2 spanked it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread