What is this rock? My detector is picking it up.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Mark, I used an enameling furnace which was app. 1800degrees when tested. I use to do enameling, that is glass on a metal surface to produce jewelry. It should flash in a flame .

Jason, yes it did just pick up the chain, but I will let you off the hook a little bit. In both cases, I was using a PI detector. And with the chain there was a guy using a fisher CZ-- about 50' in front of me on the beach and he walked right over it.
Frank

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Mark, I used an enameling furnace which was app. 1800degrees when tested. I use to do enameling, that is glass on a metal surface to produce jewelry. It should flash in a flame .

Jason, yes it did just pick up the chain, but I will let you off the hook a little bit. In both cases, I was using a PI detector. And with the chain there was a guy using a fisher CZ-- about 50' in front of me on the beach and he walked right over it.
Frank

Frank, do Pulse Detectors work well for all types of metal detecting generally? Or are they a hindrance for relics and coins? If so, why not use a pulse machine as a main general purpose detector, knowing it has better capabilities for gold the whole time you're searching?

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
Frankn said:
I found some pyrite at the Silver King Mine in my wanderings and I tested it. Here's how you tell.
When you heat pyrite it doesn't melt, it burnes. It actually catches on fire.

Jason, Can't pick up flour gold because it is like a fine gold chain? I guess i didn't find this either.LOL
Frank

Thats because it has a pendant on it. Take it off and try it. Even if you have a gold tuned detector and a thick rope chain, still doesn't make detecting gold dust possible!

I have to agree with Jason on this.
Metal detectors can not pick up really small amounts of Gold, and I am sure they will not go off on Gold dust.
But I have found a relatively small gold chain with my Tesoro Stingray years ago in Spain.
There was no pendant, and it was not a rope chain.
That said, even the best machines I have owned would not pick up a Gold Ring with an open break
in the band unless it was just some kind of huge ring...
If you consider the reality... I see people here with pictures of pieces of silver chains, but never of
Gold chains.... why ??? because nobody is finding pieces of gold chains...
If you dug a small gold chain that gave you a good signal, chances are that it is not gold no mater
what it's marked or what you think...
By the way, while in Spain, where we dug loads of 18k gold, we dug lots of gold chains with medallions, always with something else gold attached....
only once was a chain by itself, and then I believe only because it was in knots...
No real reason to argue, because people with years of experience in Metal detecting know what can and can not be found in reality...

Years ago when I used to be a member of a club, I carried around with me a small gold ring I had cut
open, I would these guys this, and they would say .... yes they could pick that up.... so I close it in my hand and have them wave their machine in front of my hand and they get nothing.... not a peep.. when they see the gold ring, they suddenly try to start adjusting their machine thinking there is something wrong.... but to no avail, they could not and I could not....
I learned this the hard way years ago on a beach in Spain when I got a good solid signal with the
machine I was using.... I dig with a shovel on the beach, and when I dug a big hole, suddenly no
signal... I dug the hole out more, but no signal, so I figured maybe in the sand I'd taken out...
So I began kicking the sand around thinking maybe I would find the thing and low and behold a gold
ring became visible... still it would not register.... so I picked it up and looked and you know what ?
I had cut it open with the shovel blade when I went to dig it.... testing this revealed that when I pushed it together I got a good signal, and when I opened it I got no signal...
Lesson learned....

just my 3 cents worth...
Richard

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just sitting here giggling...lol!! By gosh, any argument with Frank is going to be an educational one!! You're such a mess Frank! Love it!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Mark, A pulse detector is raw power. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that a lot of people like. It is basically turn on and go. It is harder to pinpoint with a PI. The coil only picks up under the solid part of the coil. The hole in the center is dead, so you have pinpoint using the side of the coil.

Torrero, I have to differ with you because what I said was from an actual event ,not imagined bull.
I was working my way down a wash in CAL. near the Sultan Sea in an area known as the slabs which is several thousand acres adjoining the Chocolate Mountains. I got a signal on a rock. When I wiped off the encrusted coating, the signal vanished. The next time it happened I checked the rock in my hand before wiping. It still had the signal. I wiped it off in a zip lock bag. At the end of the day I ran the finds from the zip lock bag thru a Gold Magic spiral wheel. I wound up with I think it was app.1/2 troy oz. of gold after about a week I sold it to a dealer in Quartsite. It was real flour gold. I don't know what your opinion is based on, but I lived mine.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth... I believe you Frank! You've been doing this a very long time, you're experienced, knowledgeable, and don't use unnecessarily destructive replies. Thank you for your insight, and for all your thoughts! Hats off to ya Compadré!

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Mark, A pulse detector is raw power. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that a lot of people like. It is basically turn on and go. It is harder to pinpoint with a PI. The coil only picks up under the solid part of the coil. The hole in the center is dead, so you have pinpoint using the side of the coil.

Torrero, I have to differ with you because what I said was from an actual event ,not imagined bull.
I was working my way down a wash in CAL. near the Sultan Sea in an area known as the slabs which is several thousand acres adjoining the Chocolate Mountains. I got a signal on a rock. When I wiped off the encrusted coating, the signal vanished. The next time it happened I checked the rock in my hand before wiping. It still had the signal. I wiped it off in a zip lock bag. At the end of the day I ran the finds from the zip lock bag thru a Gold Magic spiral wheel. I wound up with I think it was app.1/2 troy oz. of gold after about a week I sold it to a dealer in Quartsite. It was real flour gold. I don't know what your opinion is based on, but I lived mine.

I never said it didn't happen, I said it's not likely that a metal detector can pick up flower or gold dust.
I can not stand in front of you or anyone else on this forum with my chain in hand, or my broken
ring in hand and see how your particular machine will respond.
I know from 30+ years of metal detecting that gold is the hardest type of metal to detect and the smaller it is the more difficult it is.

Don't believe me, anyone here can do these tests.
your wife wears gold ear rings ??? have her take off the clasp on the back and see what you get.
You got a scrap gold ring you are going to sell ? cut it and test it and see what you get.

Like I said, I'm not saying what happened to you never happened, My comment was that I don't
believe a metal detector can pick up gold dust.
Call a manufacturer and ask them and see what they say ...
They make the machines...

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Routine measurements of the magnetic properties of various geological formations show that "granite" wash, although having an appearance in well samples very similar to that of unweathered "granite," has very different magnetic properties. Magnetic logs of wells located in Southwestern Oklahoma, Texas Panhandle and Eastern New Mexico show a large increase in the magnetic susceptibility when unweathered "granite" is encountered. Samples of "granite" and "granite" wash collected from the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma show a marked decrease in magnetic susceptibility during the formation of "granite" wash from unweathered "granite." It is concluded that magnetic logs made by testing well samples will be of assistance in differentiating "granite" wash from the underlying unweathered "granite." Tests of samples of unweathered "granite" upon exposure to weather show a measurable to marked decay of susceptibility and remanent magnetism in the relatively short time of a few years. ©1948 Society of Exploration Geophysicists

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
okdiggermark said:
Routine measurements of the magnetic properties of various geological formations show that "granite" wash, although having an appearance in well samples very similar to that of unweathered "granite," has very different magnetic properties. Magnetic logs of wells located in Southwestern Oklahoma, Texas Panhandle and Eastern New Mexico show a large increase in the magnetic susceptibility when unweathered "granite" is encountered. Samples of "granite" and "granite" wash collected from the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma show a marked decrease in magnetic susceptibility during the formation of "granite" wash from unweathered "granite." It is concluded that magnetic logs made by testing well samples will be of assistance in differentiating "granite" wash from the underlying unweathered "granite." Tests of samples of unweathered "granite" upon exposure to weather show a measurable to marked decay of susceptibility and remanent magnetism in the relatively short time of a few years. ©1948 Society of Exploration Geophysicists

1). Magnets DO STICK to this rock.

2). My Garrett hits a signal on this rock in EITHER all metal, or FULL DISCRETION.

3). Tesoro Compadre DOES NOT recognize this rock in all metal or ANY discretion level.

4). When I go to PINPOINT MODE (all metal pinpoint), my Garrett does NOT even chirp. Completely silent!

5). My Garrett Pro-Pointer DOES NOT detect this rock ANYWHERE on it at all.

So, what's everyones thoughts now? Gaaa, I'm truly not trying to wear everyone out or beat a dead horse.....it's all about metal detecting, learning, sharing, etc... Thank everyone for your thoughts/comments, and I look forward to hearing more thought provoking comments and ideas!!!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See rock Part 2:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Since only the Garrett picks it up, I got to ask you, do you use a coil cover on the Garrett?
Here's something else to through in the brew. I have rocks on my property that are brown and are in a wet or damp area. Most are round. They set off my detector. I sent a chip from one to a university for evaluation. The rock was not a meteorite, but a rock bearing a high iron content.
Leave your rock in water for a few days and see if t oxides. Frank

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Since only the Garrett picks it up, I got to ask you, do you use a coil cover on the Garrett?
Here's something else to through in the brew. I have rocks on my property that are brown and are in a wet or damp area. Most are round. They set off my detector. I sent a chip from one to a university for evaluation. The rock was not a meteorite, but a rock bearing a high iron content.
Leave your rock in water for a few days and see if t oxides. Frank

Yes, Both detectors have coil covers.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Take the Garrett coil cover off and try it. Frank

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Take the Garrett coil cover off and try it. Frank

Can do Frank.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:
Put the rock in the microwave & cook it for about 30 minutes.....see if you're microwave starts sparking...& still works after the 30 minutes. Then afterwards.....instead of "hot potato".....you can play "hot rock"......bet the rock stays hot longer than a potato anyway...
I hope this is not the way you dry off your cat over there ADRIAN? lol

I have some granite type rocks that are positive NOT magnetic.
I think possible there might be micro-gold mixed in the stone upon the original formation.
Do not junk the rocks until you check with a friend geologist.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goldentruth said:
iCandy said:
Put the rock in the microwave & cook it for about 30 minutes.....see if you're microwave starts sparking...& still works after the 30 minutes. Then afterwards.....instead of "hot potato".....you can play "hot rock"......bet the rock stays hot longer than a potato anyway...
I hope this is not the way you dry off your cat over there ADRIAN? lol

I have some granite type rocks that are positive NOT magnetic.
I think possible there might be micro-gold mixed in the stone upon the original formation.
Do not junk the rocks until you check with a friend geologist.

Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks bud!

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
okdiggermark said:
Jason in Enid said:
Frankn said:
Jason, I made a few bucks on that flour gold that didn't respond. Frank

It's a pure lie and you know it! No detector in the world will respond to flour gold. It takes a $5000 Minelab to detect even tiny pickers. Odd how you also have garbage to spout to but never have finds to show.

Jason, if there were a BUNCH of flour gold it MAY detect it.

Nope, it won't. For the same reason most detectors can't find gold chains and necklaces. The chains respond as a group of individual targets, not one large one. If your detector can't read the individual links it can't read the chain. Same principal except on a vastly smaller scale. Flour gold, litteraly is gold particals the size of grains of flour. No detector ever made can get a response from that. If it was possible, placer mining would be a whole new ballgame.

Jason is right.
PI machines work better in highly mineralized ground than VLF.
PI machine is a brute force device and are not as sensitive to fine gold as a VLF.
Black sands are detectable and often used to locate potential gold deposits in rivers.
BS (black sand) could have been the source of the signal.
BS (B*** S***) is likely the source of Frank's story

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This whole rock fiasco gives a new meaning to the saying "dumb as a box of rocks"......from now on, when someone tells me that I'll take it as a compliment. It sure has you guys stumped, using all these big words & stuff. A bunch of men.....arguing about a rock.....LOL...I'll say nothing more (as I'm cracking up)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
ISM, My story is true, I don't BS. What determines if flour gold is picked up under any detector is the amount of flour gold that is under the coil. Usually it is scattered to such a degree that there is not enough under the coil to trigger a detection, but in the case I sited, it was in a dry wash where the gold washes down from the Chocolate Mountains. It builds up under rocks in the wash. That means that there is enough gold under the coil to trigger a responce. I don't know your prospecting experience, but I have at least 15 years experience at it and I am a life member of GPAA. You should put more thought into your replies before spouting off. Frank

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Ism: Frank has got to be one of the most honest and forthcoming members on this entire site as well as educated and an experienced detectorist with years upon years of experience. Seriously, it never ceases to amaze me where some of you get off thinking Frank doesn't know what he's talking about and has nothing better to do than spend his time getting on forums a bunch of lies to simply mislead as many innocent souls as he possibly can. He's been extremely up front, honest and helpful to the N'th degree with me in any question I've ever spoken with him on. Show Frank some respect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread