What is this rock? My detector is picking it up.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
okdiggermark said:
:headbang:
TerryC said:
My 2 cents.... probably quartz with hemetite viens. I have had several of those kind of rocks here that sounded off. Hemetite. TTC

Terry, Bless your heart, everyone is firing off at each other....arguing goin on.....big huge debate......controversy.....and Terry doesn't veer off subject of topic. Terry, I've also got tons of respect for you, my friend! Thank you.
Well there Okie. They are not answering your question. My answer may not be the right one but why argue about it. If I have the right answer, I am THE MAN! If not, nobody will remember me wrong. But you will NEVER hear me slam someone or argue a mute point. If I have an issue with someone, I will PM or e-mail them to keep it private. There... MORE than 2 cents (I want the change, thank you.) TTC

Razr

Oct 4, 2008
Oregon Dunes
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark, Whites TDI,T2 SE, Tesoro Cortez.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a couple of rocks from my property that look similiar and peg out the meter on the silver side, contain small black crystals, was suggested to me that might be silver ore.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My geo friend told me you could put it in a bonfire for a few hours then when cold it would break up easier then try panning to check the small amount of gold left if any, It just may be worth a try.
rocks have been found to contain a lot of gold depending on the concentration.
(Don't pay any attention to people out there making fun, it is a good question).
Good luck with testing. (You get the gold if you are right not them!) :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC said:
okdiggermark said:
:headbang:
TerryC said:
My 2 cents.... probably quartz with hemetite viens. I have had several of those kind of rocks here that sounded off. Hemetite. TTC

Terry, Bless your heart, everyone is firing off at each other....arguing goin on.....big huge debate......controversy.....and Terry doesn't veer off subject of topic. Terry, I've also got tons of respect for you, my friend! Thank you.
Well there Okie. They are not answering your question. My answer may not be the right one but why argue about it. If I have the right answer, I am THE MAN! If not, nobody will remember me wrong. But you will NEVER hear me slam someone or argue a mute point. If I have an issue with someone, I will PM or e-mail them to keep it private. There... MORE than 2 cents (I want the change, thank you.) TTC

Dang right Terry! Are you still MD'ing where you're at?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I am still MDing here. Mostly looking for gold. Just found a .61 gram nugget with the Gold Bug 2! My first with a detector. I have been in a local park with the GTA500 (out of print) and found an almost complete cap gun (only one handle grip) and a silver ring. And some clad. If I slow down, the rocking chair will catch me! NOT!! Take care, my friend. TTC

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC said:
Yes, I am still MDing here. Mostly looking for gold. Just found a .61 gram nugget with the Gold Bug 2! My first with a detector. I have been in a local park with the GTA500 (out of print) and found an almost complete cap gun (only one handle grip) and a silver ring. And some clad. If I slow down, the rocking chair will catch me! NOT!! Take care, my friend. TTC

Wow! Congratulations on the .61 gram nugget! I'd be super pumped!!!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm saving all the hot rocks to heat up and melt the metal out or put them in a rock crusher and pan & collect the % of microgold grams then melt them up & drop in water to make bb's. It is possible to pour in a ceramic mold and make mini bars to sell.
Don't dump those hot rocks also some contain platnum & silver along with copper. Think positive, good luck.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goldentruth said:
I'm saving all the hot rocks to heat up and melt the metal out or put them in a rock crusher and pan & collect the % of microgold grams then melt them up & drop in water to make bb's. It is possible to pour in a ceramic mold and make mini bars to sell.
Don't dump those hot rocks also some contain platnum & silver along with copper. Think positive, good luck.

That'd be nice if I had a good crusher.

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't answer what your rock is we dont have these in Kentucky, what we do have, and I run into alot, is metallurgic coal, my yard is full of it!!! :icon_thumleft:

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okdiggermark: Wow ya doin on the hot rock collection.
I have a new partner this week who works with hot rocks, ore smelting as well as retaining micro-gold where he fills half ounce bottles and saves the larger stuff. In our area we have a lot of quartz with gold thread to gold vein running thru, this is what we do the extracting with.
Anyways, good luck to you.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diggermark Howdy, I showed my friend the hot rock collection and I also showed him the melted slag metal which looks like silver and is non magnetic. I saw close to the same and a guy said it was melted coin silver almost pure. Tonight I searched youtube and I saw this looks more like Platinum which is more precious than gold! I hope the guy who had a photo of his did not sell it for silver! Last wed nite when I met this guy who is joining up with me, he thought it was gold and he wanted me to sell it to him so he could melt it down and extract gold out of it and float off the silver & or Platimum and other metals. I am going to take it to a assayer and have it tested it probably is around 2 to 3 OZ pure metal. My good luck found out today.
Like I said, don't part with hot rocks until you check them out.
(By the way I ran across your comment on the Lobo super traq with the pesky noise! you were right!
I think he did not balance out the ground or sensitivity was too high.( and he did not pick up the hot rocks?)
Thanks.
(1/10/2012) I was quoted Gold is a little More $ Than Platinum, Thats ok, a cool fact I heard today.)

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 286

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread