Diggin pulltabs...

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
I can cherry pick with my Vaquero or notch them out on my ACE 250 but I'm a coward!!! Can't stand the thought of the gold ring that might be there or something else being masked...guess I'm just toooooo greedy to pass up stuff like that.

I know, I'll bury a gold ring under a pull tab (as cheap gold ring as I can find) and see how many detectorists pass it buy. Nahh....might be someone like me who'll dig it anyway just to say "Fanks Suker".

Last edited:
OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sandtrout said:
I can cherry pick with my Vaquero or notch them out on my ACE 250 but I'm a coward!!! Can't stand the thought of the gold ring that might be there or something else being masked...guess I'm just toooooo greedy to pass up stuff like that.

I know, I'll bury my bury a gold ring under a pull tab (as cheap gold ring as I can find) and see how many detectorists pass it buy. Nahh....might be someone like me who'll dig it anyway just to say "Fanks Suker".

Yeah, it's just that our metal detectors don't give responses necessarily to the exact metals. They give responses to conductivity! If only gold were as conductive as silver (like many think, but it's not), we wouldn't be diggin pulltabs!!!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I save all my pulltabs and put them in my bucket and take them in for scrap. I do that with all the stuff I dig.
I like having my hobby. I like it even more when it pays for itself. :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sniffer said:
I save all my pulltabs and put them in my bucket and take them in for scrap. I do that with all the stuff I dig.
I like having my hobby. I like it even more when it pays for itself. :laughing7: :laughing7:

I LOVE this hobby. But, it has not paid for itself yet. However, I found my first Sterling Silver ring yesterday!! Woohoo!!! It cleaned up rather nice too! 

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sniffer said:
eventually it'll pay for what u spent on batteries and gas, maybe. LOL

I'm hoping! Either way, I love this hobby and the destressing of life that comes along with it anyway! It's worth the co$t, and if I find something valuable, then that's just icing on the brownie! LOL

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our local Ronald McDonald house accepts them to sell and uses the funds to assist those in need.

Adrian, too funny.Thanks for the laugh, I needed that after the news I received last night!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
It's up to the individual detectorist to decide to dig all, or only probable coins, or some compromise. How many even know how many hundreds or thousands of pulltabs they had to dig to get gold jewelry?

The best ratio of gold to tabs will be in waste deep water, shriveled or shrunken skin makes rings slide off. Should be soft sand on bottom to make digging easy. But too many people know this, so these swimming areas may get detected every day or two. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
George (MN) said:
It's up to the individual detectorist to decide to dig all, or only probable coins, or some compromise. How many even know how many hundreds or thousands of pulltabs they had to dig to get gold jewelry?

The best ratio of gold to tabs will be in waste deep water, shriveled or shrunken skin makes rings slide off. Should be soft sand on bottom to make digging easy. But too many people know this, so these swimming areas may get detected every day or two. Best wishes, George (MN)

Correct. It's our human nature however, to sometimes get a little beat down when we have a run of some bad luck with our finds. I've been getting worried because of the lack of nickels I've been finding lately and know if I'm not finding nickels, I'm missing GOLD. I need to "disc down" a bit I think! :sign13:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used several detectors.

There is no trick to avoiding them.

You can't unless you crank up your discrimination.

They are a fact of our life. :-\

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smudge said:
I've used several detectors.

There is no trick to avoiding them.

You can't unless you crank up your discrimination.

They are a fact of our life. :-\

It never ceases to amaze me HOW MANY people have thrown down. Amazing!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark said:

I have been hunting once particular beach, off and on, for the past 10 years. This is a fairly small beach, but I have pulled thousands of tabs from it. I would think I would get them cleared out, but every year I am still digging OLD pull tabs. One of my YouTube videos I showed the trash (mostly tabs and cans) from one hunt, and it's a huge amount.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason in Enid said:
okdiggermark said:

I have been hunting once particular beach, off and on, for the past 10 years. This is a fairly small beach, but I have pulled thousands of tabs from it. I would think I would get them cleared out, but every year I am still digging OLD pull tabs. One of my YouTube videos I showed the trash (mostly tabs and cans) from one hunt, and it's a huge amount.

It's just rediculous.

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Since they outlawed alcohol at the beaches here in San Diego my pull tab finds have gone way down. However the new foil drink tops sure have been filling up my bag. Sigh can't even turn them in for scrap metal. Still I dig everything. You never no it might be gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions