Diggin pulltabs...

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark said:
I dug 20 pulltabs today in about two and a half hours to come home with 5 coins. It's all fun and it's all in the hunt, but am wondering if anyone can tell a pulltab from a coin, and what their "technique" or what their detector is???

If you want that, you need to get you a machine that has a meter...
I use the whites DFX to deadly affect...
you can dig all Quarters, Dimes, and Pennies without any pulltabs...
you may be able to dig a lot of Nickels also with only a few pulltabs....
Maybe...

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say appreciate the pulltabs....there were some thirsty people who once had theys finger on them dad Bern pull tabs....theys was dehydrated

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a good metered machine then you can greatly reduce your pull tab finds, along with your gold ring finds. I only say that to be cute. :tongue3: . Just dig them untill you are tired and then don't. That is what I do.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I never pulled a pull tab I didnt like. I never pulled a gold ring unless I was pullin pull tabs. Now that is just plain good tectin work.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:
I say appreciate the pulltabs....there were some thirsty people who once had theys finger on them dad Bern pull tabs....theys was dehydrated

LMAO!!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
I never pulled a pull tab I didnt like. I never pulled a gold ring unless I was pullin pull tabs. Now that is just plain good tectin work.

Yep! They'll sure fool ya sometimes!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TORRERO said:
okdiggermark said:
I dug 20 pulltabs today in about two and a half hours to come home with 5 coins. It's all fun and it's all in the hunt, but am wondering if anyone can tell a pulltab from a coin, and what their "technique" or what their detector is???

If you want that, you need to get you a machine that has a meter...
I use the whites DFX to deadly affect...
you can dig all Quarters, Dimes, and Pennies without any pulltabs...
you may be able to dig a lot of Nickels also with only a few pulltabs....
Maybe...

But does it ignore other things then?

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Especially if they are folded over.

Jonnie

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig em all...someday you will be glad you did!

Razr

Oct 4, 2008
Oregon Dunes
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark, Whites TDI,T2 SE, Tesoro Cortez.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double beeps most of the time with the detectors i use. :BangHead:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meters will help you id pull tabs but since 90% of the gold rings are in the same range you will also miss those. Now if your at the beach where fingers are slippery and the digging is easy just bite the bullet and dig them. Sometimes I set my Tejon up with the second disc setting rejects pull tabs and If they don't respond to the second setting I can then decide if I wanna kneel down.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes sir if you don't want to dig gold then don't dig pull tabs...........

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to dig up the pull tabs and shallow crap to find the deeper masked coins. Gold rings and trinkets are just a rare amusement.

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does help to clear the pull tabs and other garbage in an area. BUT it is very frustrating to do it. After pulling hundreds of pull tabs from a local park did we start finding good older coins. I have a basic machine so I have to do it that way sometimes. Dan

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck in one park I'm detecting there's a very small area where I've dug multiple, beautiful sounding, pull tabs. I also got my first gold ring of the year in and amonst those tabs.

Normally what I'll do is pull pull tabs for a while, then turn up the discrimination for coins to finish out the hunt.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
I dig pull tabs...hate the thought of what it might be masking....besides....it's fingers with rings that are pulling those tabs.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I currently use a White's MXT PRO and had the DFX before that. Both machines are pretty accurate on the display showing if pull tab or coin. Nearly all coins are going to give a high VDI number where the pull tabs will be much lower. You also can notch the pull tabs out so they don't even register if you want but I don't do that. I don't know what kind of machine you use but I would say any machine with a display that shows VDI numbers will be much better than one without the display reading. Now if you want to dig gold rings you will have to dig those pull tab signals because that is how they will sound. There is no way to tell the difference between rings and pull tabs. But there is a huge difference between pull tabs and coins.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I dig pull tabs lot and lots of tabs. I can normally know when it is a tab but I have found gold rings that register as pull tab so I dig them because I never kown if it is gold or a tab. Just bring them home and save them up as they will turn into cash at the end of the year. When you take them to the scrap yard.......Matt

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mlayers said:
Yes I dig pull tabs lot and lots of tabs. I can normally know when it is a tab but I have found gold rings that register as pull tab so I dig them because I never kown if it is gold or a tab. Just bring them home and save them up as they will turn into cash at the end of the year. When you take them to the scrap yard.......Matt

I'll start throwing them in the bags of crushed Beer & Coke cans! Might as well get SOMETHING from the dang things...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread