Tell me what your detectors name is....

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me what your detector's name is....

Was wondering if anyone else has a name for their detector. Mines name is Pat....it's a he/she.....we are very bonded. Pat sometimes makes me mad though....especially when he/she is lazy! Pat gets chatty sometimes.....but tells fibs! That's when I gen angry with pat! Pat is notorious for playing the field....& only bring home pull tab losers....ugh! I told Pat to get it together & make me proud.....or I'm going to have to lock her in the closet. I just expect more out of shim....nothing wrong with that. Pat often attracts negative attention...& if I don't seeing some results from shim.....I'll be forced to end our relationship.

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Tell me what your detector's name is....

Hey, Adrian. Metal detectors are incapable of lieing. But sometimes you have to figure out what they are telling you. TTC

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My detectors name is Pablo Ortiz Alveras!

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mine's the same name as me and my dog. "Hunter" :laughing9: :laughing9:

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari. Garrett 350

If mine starts to false a lot and then call it a SHE.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deTECktor

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

metal detectors do not lie but at times they do get "confused" ---because they sort things out by "electricial conductivity level" --the problem is some good items like "gold rings" have a similar electricial conductivity to the dreaded pull tab -- so the real issue is how to get the best "sorter" that can tell "A" a gold ring from "b" a pull tab --- for that a "numbers" type machine is often the trick --the "more numbers" the better that way it can sort better because it has more "room' to split hairs and try to "pull apart A from B " -- exsample a ace 250 due to limited sorting blocks is forced to co mingle gold and tabs in the same block thus its a "dig all machine" to get the good stuff -- vs a say a delta 4000 that has a 0 to 99 numbers display --where say a 65 is tabs but 67 is a gold ring --allowing you to better pick and choose what to dig or not dig --warning no machine is perfect and due to varying gold content gold can ring up as a "tab" or the other way around as well.

ace 250 - ole yeller
delta 4000 -- gold getter
bounty hunter time ranger --- rebel
track IV -- beep -- (no VDI)

OP
OP
I

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ivan.....k....so let me ask you this.....what detector....without missing the good stuff..(gold rings & such) won't give you the same sound as a pull tab, or better yet, will eliminate any detection of a pull tab? You watch the incredible hulk right? When he gets angry...he turns into a monster. Well.....that's me after about digging up 10 pull tabs in a row....on better days..20.

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I call my machine "The Bullet Sniffer". He does such a good job, never disappoints me, always ready to go out, and never gets a headache.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Adrian, those numbers on the detectors with readout are the amount of transmitted signal that is returned. The manufacturer uses coins for basic calibration so an object of a certain size and electrical reflectivity will give you a certain % of return signal. here's the bug in the system. A large block of iron buried deep will give you the same signal as a shallow coin and it will also fool the dept reading. Basically it's a guessing game all around. Frank

OP
OP
I

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank.....so there's not one that doesn't not pick up pull tabs?

OP
OP
I

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

@gleaner....that's a cute name sugar dumpling!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I can't tell you the names :angry4: :cussing: i call my detector....... When it will not ring out for me and don't find the good stuff i like....................... : :cussing:...... :cussing:..... :occasion14:

OP
OP
I

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lol...Kep.....I hear ya! That's why I don't post videos of me in action.....gaa....never knew I had so many feelings...lol

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

I have three tectors. Mudd, Ole' Sparky, and The Terminator. Ole' Sparky is about to be wrapped around a tree.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

S'MINE Its Mine if you found it or Not!!!! ( Quote from Red ) :laughing7: :laughing7: Then the fight Began!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

you might laugh but -- but the bit over $100 old tracker IV with no Visual Display Indicater ( just a useless meter ) and its old fashioned knob type discrimation adjuster can be tuned to pick up less pull tabs and still find most gold items * (that why lots of hunt by "sound only" folks still like em and why I still got one too)- if you can find one heres how to do it -- you will need a pull tab and a gold item or a nickle (nickles by the way are quite close to gold electric conductivity wize - finding nickles? --then if golds there you will find it too) -- set the two items on metal free dirt (scan in all metal mode to be sure its metal free) -- place the items about 3 foot apart and swith the toggle to disc mode --then with the disc knob at "0" run it over the tab --beep ok slowly up the disc knob while passing it back and forth over the tab until the tab no longer "rings" up (beeps) -- now run it over the gold if it beeps --your good to go --if not very slowly lower the disc level until it beeps over the gold -- now pass it over the gold item --it should beep "cleanly" --if the pulltab rings up it should sound "crunchy" or fuzzy --not a clean strong signal but a bit "differant"-- case solved -- this is how you use "discrimation" to help you figger dig / do not dig

the 3 toggle setting on a tracker IV they are are #1 all metal - 0 disc (finds all metals / gives only 1 tone ) --- #2 tune - 0 disc ( finds all metals gives 3 differant tones - low tune (iron) , mid tone (pull tabs / gold /nickles) , high tone (most copper coins, clad coins . silver coins and silver items) -- and #3 disc which has a adjustible disc level via the disc "knob" --the higher your disc level the less metal items you will find --so do not go too high but once properly adjusted it can cull a lot of trash so it will not ring up --not all but fair bit .

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Adrian, the problem with using discrimination is some goodies are made of iron. How about a Colt Patterson or a sword from the Civil War or that old pair of spurs. I kind of dig everything because I don't want to miss something. Frank

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

well if your hunting "relics" you go all metal or tone setting on a tracker IV -- a lot of what setting to use on the old tracker IV is based upon -- the history of the area your "working" - tot lot looking for coins -use disc -- old civil war battle area -- use all metal or tone -- use of disc can be situational for sure --- now if your only looking for coins, silver and gold -- use disc settings and cherry pick :read2: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread