Pro-Pointer...More DEPTH!

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Thanks for the tip, I had heard of that before but didn't remember how it was done. Question, what would happen if you taped the nickle to the pointer shaft? Would you have to keep the pointer turned on? Not sure, but seems that if it was taped on then pointer was turned off to save on battery life then turned on when needed the pointer would then not be as sensitive? Nice tip either way. HH

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TexasDigger1 said:
Thanks for the tip, I had heard of that before but didn't remember how it was done. Question, what would happen if you taped the nickle to the pointer shaft? Would you have to keep the pointer turned on? Not sure, but seems that if it was taped on then pointer was turned off to save on battery life then turned on when needed the pointer would then not be as sensitive? Nice tip either way. HH

@TexDig I'd had the very same thought, and haven't experimented with that yet. The only issue with that is when you want closer range, it's easy to remove the penny or whatever coin you do the trick with much easier if it's not taped on. Have you seen the technique with getting close to the coin and while holding close, turning it off and then right back on? That will make your pointer have to get even closer to the target before it emits a signal. I could post that video as well. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWPD2bRTzsc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Thanks, okdiggermark. I was already impressed with the ProPointer, now I can't wait to get one! Thanks for the tips.
Dustbuster

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dustbuster said:
Thanks, okdiggermark. I was already impressed with the ProPointer, now I can't wait to get one! Thanks for the tips.
Dustbuster

You'll be glad you bought one! My pleasure.

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used this trick a few times. Works good. You do need to reset it every time time you turn the unit on and off.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pwcguy said:
I've used this trick a few times. Works good. You do need to reset it every time time you turn the unit on and off.

Yeah, a nice feature would be a sensitivity switch on them, but that'd be about the ONLY way to improve upon this already great product IMO!

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I fought it and fought it, but I finally bit the bullet and just bought one. So-o-o glad I did. It just came 2 days ago and I've had a chance to put it through the paces. I am digging 4x the targets per hour, as I was with no pointer, and half of the targets I don't even kneel for. Just reach down with the digger, flick out an inch of dirt, and pick up the target. When I kneel and dig a plug, I get right to the target. I don't waste time digging to China in the wrong direction, and I'm back up and swinging in 2-3 minutes..........We put a lot of time, money and gasoline into this hobby. If I can dig 40 targets in a hunt, instead of ten, that, to me, is like making 4 trips hunting trips on the gasoline it takes to make one hunting trip. I only have so many hours a week to put in, so it means also, my finds will be greater in the time I have to spend .......But most of all, it makes detecting funner! I don't REALLY mind digging a pull tab, but I want to dig it fast, find out I'm just chasing junk, then move on .........Ya, They're spendy, but so is this hobby...I mean,...Why don't we all just get by running $150 detectors?..I feel the Pro-Pointer will pay for itself in gas and time, alone..When I sell this detector and upgrade, I will still have a pointer..... Thanks for the Videos...I had seen them but needed a refresher now that I have a Pro-Pointer....and BTW I was really impressed how solid and well built these things are...

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleetus said:
Well, I fought it and fought it, but I finally bit the bullet and just bought one. So-o-o glad I did. It just came 2 days ago and I've had a chance to put it through the paces. I am digging 4x the targets per hour, as I was with no pointer, and half of the targets I don't even kneel for. Just reach down with the digger, flick out an inch of dirt, and pick up the target. When I kneel and dig a plug, I get right to the target. I don't waste time digging to China in the wrong direction, and I'm back up and swinging in 2-3 minutes..........We put a lot of time, money and gasoline into this hobby. If I can dig 40 targets in a hunt, instead of ten, that, to me, is like making 4 trips hunting trips on the gasoline it takes to make one hunting trip. I only have so many hours a week to put in, so it means also, my finds will be greater in the time I have to spend .......But most of all, it makes detecting funner! I don't REALLY mind digging a pull tab, but I want to dig it fast, find out I'm just chasing junk, then move on .........Ya, They're spendy, but so is this hobby...I mean,...Why don't we all just get by running $150 detectors?..I feel the Pro-Pointer will pay for itself in gas and time, alone..When I sell this detector and upgrade, I will still have a pointer..... Thanks for the Videos...I had seen them but needed a refresher now that I have a Pro-Pointer....and BTW I was really impressed how solid and well built these things are...

Cleetus, I agree with EVERYTHING in your post! Very well explained bud!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread