What would you do if....

Grace O'Malley

Oct 23, 2011
RV, NE Florida (This week)
Detector(s) used
DFX, Sun-Ray pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You found a nice plain 1 carat solitaire 14K diamond ring (nothing but 14k inscribed)....on the beach.....posted a pic here....and then somebody claimed it? I probably wouldn't hand it over without some kind of proof. There has to be 1000's of those out there, right? I'd probably feel bad about it though. That's why you'll never see any of my jewelry finds on here....coins, sure. Jewelry, never!

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Why certainly, nobody can prove the proof of ownership of a silly diamond ring, millions are made and lost. No judge would ever side with anybody saying "Hey!!!!!!, that's my ring!!!!, I can tell from an internet site picture!!!!!!!!". Even if the looser had a picture of the ring.....too bad. Not gonna happen. There is not enough proof from an internet posting of a ring. No judge will ever subpoena an investigation into this, it's just too trivial and has too little bearing in the real law of "found property". Just throw your little bauble into the safe deposit box or sell it, and gloat at your Tnet posting, nobody will ever claim it. Have you not heard?...it's Finders Keepers. But, there are local laws about turning in lost property. Ha!!! what a silly joke that is...hey everbody, let's all turn our found diamond rings into the police, just to be good law-abiding citizens. Wow. Totally wacky crazy nutty stuff. Hey, you never know, it might become one of the Detector Code of Ethics someday....not.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there's no inscription, and you found it, you are the current owner.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
okdiggermark said:
If there's no inscription, and you found it, you are the current owner.

I agree with you. But many times the law does not. A surprising percentage of cities/town have municipal codes/laws that state that any property found (over xx dollars value) must be turned in, to the police. Ha ha ha :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: But we all know that it is not going to happen. It is truly an un-enforceable law. If not a silly one. Common sense prevails.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Stealing by Finding" is the term under British law. Easier to declare a find to the police (you don't have to go and hand it in anymore). No one seems to report rings as lost anymore so you get to keep and can sell on though this is for British losses and they tend to be gold wedding bands and signate rings not the huge diamond incrusted ones you can pick up in Florida and the Islands.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the greatest pleasure returning a gold class ring to a lady, glass stone, lost for twenty seven years but found by me tectin and old field. She was floored, convinced she would never see that ring again. If it (the ring) had a honking flawless 1 carat diamond in the center, my moral fortitude would certainly be mildly tested.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
I had the greatest pleasure returning a gold class ring to a lady, glass stone, lost for twenty seven years but found by me tectin and old field. She was floored, convinced she would never see that ring again. If it (the ring) had a honking flawless 1 carat diamond in the center, my moral fortitude would certainly be mildly tested.

You made her day!!! Good for you Gleaner! And yeah....I agree with the last part of your quote too.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many Diamonds have a number laser engraved on them. If those matched I'd return the ring.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if i found it it is mine ..... Like i always said what i find i sell..............

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Well if i found it it is mine ..... Like i always said what i find i sell..............

YUUUUUP!!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finders keepers losers weepers. Or I'd have a little fun with it.....& tell them they have to earn it back. Then I'd have them come do chores for about a week. Then if they passed the chore test for a whole week......I would have them perform the "hustle" for me.....& if they succeeded in a entertaining performance.....I would give them the ring "back"

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
iCandy said:
Finders keepers losers weepers. Or I'd have a little fun with it.....& tell them they have to earn it back. Then I'd have them come do chores for about a week. Then if they passed the chore test for a whole week......I would have them perform the "hustle" for me.....& if they succeeded in a entertaining performance.....I would give them the ring "back"
You have some good ideas there icandy.aka Adrian... Different but good........

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of the reasons I don't post the location that I found it. If the person could pretty much tell me the exact location that they lost it and that is pretty much the exact location that I found it then I would give it back to them. It's their ring right. They just lost it. :icon_pirat:

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy....you don't want to know my otherideas....lol

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
iCandy said:

Dance puppet, dance! I love it!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will just avoid answering this completly...lol

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd be a fool to post a pic of the ring. Just post that you found it if that's what kyou want ot do, and let them dexcribe it. If they are the true owner they will not hesistate to correctly ID it. A pal of mine recently found something of value and gave the caller a false clue and the caller fell for it and said yep that scratch or whatever was on my ring. My pal said no it wasn't and hung up on him! Monty

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
You'd be a fool to post a pic of the ring. Just post that you found it if that's what kyou want ot do, and let them dexcribe it. If they are the true owner they will not hesistate to correctly ID it. A pal of mine recently found something of value and gave the caller a false clue and the caller fell for it and said yep that scratch or whatever was on my ring. My pal said no it wasn't and hung up on him! Monty

I agree fully! 

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread