Detector pinpointing

rocksolid

Greenie
Nov 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must be doing something wrong. I get a nice clear high pitch signal. (BH 202) The display is saying a dime at 6 inches. I locate it in one direction, and the target continues to cause a signal. Then I turn 90 degrees and try to cross the target, but get nothing.
it happened several times. What is happening? I expect a repeatable signal to indicate in both directions. It was a trashy site. Apparently there are a few things I'm not aware of! LOL

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Why aren't you digging it? Use pinpoint mode to center whatever it is, dig it up, look at it, and your question will be answered.

There's nothing better than trial and error, digging 100's of targets, to familiarize yourself with what all the different sounds are telling you. A one-way signal can mean many things, depending on the machine. In some cases, it can mean that something that is disc'd out (a nail for example, that you're rejecting) is lying to one side of the object. So that when you sweep one way, the nail is in that line of sweep. But when you sweep the opposite way (90*) the nail is no longer in the sweep path to "mask" the good item. But that's just one example of an explanation. There are other explanations, unique to each machine, that no amount of text exchange will dicipher. Other explanations could be that you're only centered correctly over the item when sweeping one way, but not the other (ie.: you're not "x-ing" the spot well enough, to get the highest center reading, when going the other way).

Try playing with centering the target from many angles, varying your sweep speed (and making note of the various reponses), then ultimately, dig the target and see. Then the next time, you'll have better ideas what one-way signals mean on your machine. Typically it's better to have a target that beeps 360*. But of course, that may only mean it's shallow and easy. Perhaps a deeper one only hits well from a single direction (or only one way). Experience is your best teacher, and there's no substitute for hard-knocks trial and error. Eventually you'll get to where you recognize what to pass and what to chase.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
First off, always state what detector and coil you are using ! There is a world of difference in locating a target with different models. the coil type is important. With a concentric coil you pinpoint with the center of the coil and get an accurate location. With a DD coil it is best to move the coil in from the side until a signal is just heard, mark the lead edge location. Now move in from the other side and mark the location. If you are new do this from the top and bottom. You wind up with a box marked on the ground that contains the target. Now dig. A PI detector uses the same method as a DD for pinpointing usage even though the system works differently. Frank

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats some really good info .....Thanks guys!

OP
OP
rocksolid

rocksolid

Greenie
Nov 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
First off, always state what detector and coil you are using ! There is a world of difference in locating a target with different models. the coil type is important. With a concentric coil you pinpoint with the center of the coil and get an accurate locationeven though the system works differently. Frank

Tom: There is no "pinpoint mode" on any Bounty Hunter to my knowledge. Your possible explanations are the type of info I am looking for. In a area full of pull tabs and other trash, I was reluctant to dig every signal I got. It's a picnic grove that has been in use many years. I was reserving digging for the ones that I was reasonably confident in.

Frank, I did post BH 202 which is a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 with a 8" stock round coil. As far as I know, there is no double-d offered for a BH detector. I tried crossing the first repeatable hit as carefully as possible, picking a marker of some sort on the turf. In the absence of a second signal there is no "X" to mark the spot. This leaves a possible variation of roughly 4 inches for the hole center in any direction. That could be a pretty big hole. I just bought a Pistol Probe which is capable of sensing down 5 inches, so I hope that will help with a much more accurate location. I do have a HF pinpointer which I think does a good job of finding the target in the hole, once you are close.

Something that surprised me was the discoloration of the coins I found. They were virtually black. I see so many beautiful coins posted here, that I expected what I found to at least look metallic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread