Newbie: Am I crazy or have I found fellow members just like me?

thearchivedept

Greenie
Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi
Glad to be a newbie here. A co worker of mine lent me his Whites Prizim IV and a cheapo pinpointer. At first I didn't like it at all seem too hard to pinpoint with the Whites. He and others told me just keep using and learn it!. Well any way I live near Chicago and we just had our first Snow Friday. Its 1200 Sat and I am out in the tot lots in the wood chips, (which weren't frozen) Sun is shining with 3/4 '' of snow on top. Coil all full of snow as I sweep It was kinda cool cause I could see were I went and how my swing was. My haul: 18 cents clad, 4 bottle caps , and 2 broken snaps from jeans/coat. I just said I must be insane, but also said.......... What else would I be doing watching TV or looking at useless youtube videos? At least I am out here trying. I know wood chips my not get the "old Coins" but I am looking for the Mommys gold that might of fell off picking up junior. I only been discrim the iron would that be the way to go on tot lots. Glad to be here Tell Me I not the only one in middle of December.
Billy
BTW because of this site I decided to do some Coin roll hunting too. Went to bank last week for another reason saw some halves in the tellers little coin rack/sorter. I asked to buy them buy them 8 in all one was a 68 the other a 69 both 40% silver!!The teller was kinda pissed I know He planned on getting those himself at days end.

Upvote 0

tidetraveler

Nov 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello fellow Newbie! :hello: Yes your crazy, walking around swinging that ridiculous looking machine. On your knees half the time digging in the dirt. Looking for treasure? Yea, thats right real treasure! :sign13: Gold old some old relic that has been buried for centuries! I love it :headbang: Nice move at the bank :hello2:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
tidetraveler, Good thing about people thinking your crazy,they stay away from you!! God Bless HH Chris

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know what you will find in a tot lot! I found an 1858 flying eagle cent and a toasted Indian penny in the sand at one. My guess is that a kid took them to school and lost them or perhaps the sand was brought in from someplace old. Who knows? It is a great place to start and practice. HH

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, you're crazy by today's standards but that's a good thing. Mainly because today's standards are crazy!
I stayed out till dark the other day and when I finally quit, the wet knees of my jeans were starting to freeze stiff. I had more fun than anybody earning $1.51 in modern coins has any right to. And...wait for it...the change probably paid for my batteries expended and I walked to the park!
Note to self: Next time wear the kneepads and the insulated Carhardt bibs.

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. One time I took my friend on a hunt with me. He was always laughing at me, calling me a nerd, because I spend $1000's on this addiction and I get excited over finding a tarnished penny 4" in the ground.

I was hoping he would pick up the hobby with me. He didn't. But he no longer calls me a nerd. After the outing with me he understands the passion.

We all have hobbies and diversions from work and stress.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are not crazy...Its the guys who lose there cash that we find are crazy....For not looking for it!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, welcome to treasure hunting and your new addiction. Your crazy like a fox, this IS allot better then watching TV or youtubes. But if you are watching youtubes watch ChicagoRon's youtubes. He posts on the beach and shallow water or check out his finds for this year on that forum.
You will likely be picking up a good beach machine too.
Good luck and Good Hunting.
ZDD

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The neat thing about your first post on TNet should be the variety of responses you have received.

Are you crazy? I don't know you well enough to say anything.

Am I crazy? I hope so. Being sane is so ... unfulfilling. You need to be a little over-the-top in something.

Welcome to your addiction! You are among friends.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, you're crazy. But so are most of us, including myself!  I was out two days over the weekend in upper 30's to low 40's and some rain yesterday, but had a blast, made some finds that no one else had at that location! Welcome!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I am crazy too I guess. So long as it is fun I will be doing it. We don't do this for the "profit" as we could make more working at a fast food joint part time. It is exciting to just find something new. Wait till you discover water hunting. That is a whole new ball game. :thumbsup:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello and welcome to the club. Tot lots have produce numerous rings for me. I mainly hunt CW and colonial relics but during the hot summer months I look for old coins and jewelry. I also tried a little coin rolling this year. My best luck was with nickels. I found a lot of Buffalo and V nickels as well as the war nickels.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
baylorhall said:
You just never know what you will find in a tot lot! I found an 1858 flying eagle cent and a toasted Indian penny in the sand at one. My guess is that a kid took them to school and lost them or perhaps the sand was brought in from someplace old. Who knows? It is a great place to start and practice. HH

Anything can show up in a tot lot! I've found a Indian penny, buffalo nickel, Franklyn half, silver Washington quarter, silver rosies, a one ounce silver round, and even a real Roman coin! So you never know what may pop up!

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like to think were the normal ones and everyone else is crazy, oh wait, thats the definition of crazy, oh well, enjoy it before someone accuses you of being normal...

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relicminer said:
I like to think were the normal ones and everyone else is crazy, oh wait, thats the definition of crazy, oh well, enjoy it before someone accuses you of being normal...

I'll drink to that!

OP
OP
T

thearchivedept

Greenie
Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all for making me feel at home will keep trying. Went out after i posted and found .76 in clad my biggest yet!! in one place for 45 min of time. My day will come I hope. Going to do some research this winter where to go. Question: when you ask landowners permission all verbal right? What's proper with finds? Do you split finds with them 50/50 90/10?
Billy

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thearchivedept said:
Thanks all for making me feel at home will keep trying. Went out after i posted and found .76 in clad my biggest yet!! in one place for 45 min of time. My day will come I hope. Going to do some research this winter where to go. Question: when you ask landowners permission all verbal right? What's proper with finds? Do you split finds with them 50/50 90/10?
Billy

I don't say anything about splitting finds unless they mention something. I also use the term "metal detecting" and not coin hunting, relic hunting, etc... I'll mention that if I find something that's looks to possibly be sentimental to them that I'd of course give it to them....and I definitely would! Just let the conversation go where it goes from there. Be interested in them, and in no hurry, tell them you'll fill all your holes, and will take the trash you find away to help clean the place up. That's what I do.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
remember "crazy" is defined by who you hanging out with at the time --in a cannibal tribe it is perfectly "normal and ok to eat people"-- :tard:

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivan salis said:
remember "crazy" is defined by who you hanging out with at the time --in a cannibal tribe it is perfectly "normal and ok to eat people"-- :tard:

 Um,.....yeah. LMAO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions