Whats the most important aspects of metal detecting to you?

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many many aspects of metal detecting... lots of things we all need to know and lots of things we need to practice not just preach!

Theses are a few of the most important things to me...

#1 PERMISSION!
always get permission to hunt any privately own property! If there are issues with metal detecting in your area hunting public places you might wanna make sure its OK or at least let someone know what you are doing this will prevent problems later down the line... it will also open up new places you don't know about. Building a good reputation in this hobby is very important not only for you but for the hobby itself!

#2 FILL THEM HOLES!
I don't care if you 20 miles from civilization or your on a beach or its your own property fill your holes and make it look like you never been there. If you can make it look better than it was before you dug your hole then go for it. this practice also help your reputation and the hobby too. Take the time to do this and you will be rewarded with more hunting sites than you know what to do with.

#3 PICK UP THE TRASH
I know this is a tough one because there is so much of it... but especially if you dug it pick it up and throw it away! Once again this goes towards your reputation for you and the hobby, and again it will lead you to more hunting grounds.

all of these are good practices... if anything its good Karma for those of you that believe in that... do the right things and it will come back to you eventually!

Please add to this if you wish comments and criticism are welcome.

Chukers

Upvote 0

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant wait to get out there and get after it...about to get my first MD. I have sites o'plenty here in Northen OK. I am a history fanitical so I have a lot of research and its time to see whats bellow the surface. I'll try and not leave beer tabs laying around while I'm at it. All the beer I drank in college will now come back to haunt me lol. I know it made early ball practice hard.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ammo_u said:
I cant wait to get out there and get after it...about to get my first MD. I have sites o'plenty here in Northen OK. I am a history fanitical so I have a lot of research and its time to see whats bellow the surface. I'll try and not leave beer tabs laying around while I'm at it. All the beer I drank in college will now come back to haunt me lol. I know it made early ball practice hard.

Where at in Northern Oklahoma?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Chukers you say:

"so you are saying take your chances in hunting public places....."

This implies that something is wrong or prohibited :dontknow: But if a person has checked the rules (as my post said), and there is nothing prohibiting his activity, then .... why would he be "taking a chance" on anything? :icon_scratch:

and:

"I guess it depends if you want to have conflict or not ..."

Why would there be "conflict" for doing something for which there is no prohibition? If some busy-body has an issue, just tell them you checked the park dept. rules, and there was nothing prohibiting metal detecting.

and:

"ignorance of the law ...."

Re-read my post. I said if someone is skittish, they can look up the laws.

and:

"...chased off a hunting site...."

again assumes some law or rule is being broken. What's going on here? If no law or rule is being broken, how can you be "chased off"?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Chukers, if your referring to the busy-body who thinks you'll leave a mess or harm the earthworms, then I fear you have chosen the wrong hobby. There is just no way you are going to please everyone. Let's face it: we're in an odd hobby that draws stares and has connotations. And I can give you many stories of persons who went to city hall and "got permission" (as if it was needed), only to have it just as quickly revoked by an irate gardener, or cop who disagreed. The kill-joy merely gets on his cell-phone, calls city hall, and says "this clown is making a mess". And guess what happens to your "permission"? ::) There are many stories of this happening!

So why risk a "no" before you even start? (when odds are, no one would ever have cared?). And there are even examples of rules GETTING WRITTEN to "address this pressing issue", when someone comes in asking. Because you see, the mere fact that someone feels they needed to ask permission (or alert to their intentions, etc...) merely implies that something is inherently evil or damaging, that you had to ask, to begin with (lest why would you have asked, if nothing was amiss or wrong?) This implication is not lost on the desk clerk, who then must "run it past the city lawyer", etc... Why oh why would you do that? I travel around to cities all over my state, and ...... if there is no rules or sign specifically prohibiting it, I do no hesitate to hunt. Sure, once in a great while you get ushered on, so what.

If someone is getting grief wherever they go, I suspect the person is not using diligence to keep a lower profile. Ie.: they are probably going in high traffic times, looking like a sore thumb, etc... It's a lot in the psychology of the individual detecting: If you have an "I'm guilty" persona (perpetually looking over your shoulder, taking forever on deep holes right in front of gardeners, etc...), well then yeah, someone's gonna ask themselves "gee, just what is that person doing?". So you have to use a little discretion. Go at off-hours low-traffic times. Don't go when that park is under-going the maintenance/mowing day. Don't go waltzing over people's beach blankets at an archaeological convention, etc....

If you're worried about the dreaded "digging" or "disturbing" aspects of our hobby, then again, I fear you've chosen the wrong hobby. Because there is simply no park in the entire united states, where you're going to walk into city hall and say "hi, can I dig and deface the park please?" and them say "sure, go ahead". And if someone (perhaps yourself) has gotten permission to dig (and didn't mince words when asking), that is rare indeed. In fact, it is still highly susceptible to being just as quickly revoked. For example: I can walk in to that same city hall and get it yanked just as quickly. I merely need to say "is it really fair that chukers enriches himself at the city's expense?" or "isn't this an ARPA violation?" or "what if he finds an indian bone?" or "what if an innocent little child trips and falls in one of chuker's holes, and sues the city?"

So it's better to satisfy yourself on whether or not there are prohibitions, by checking for ones-self. And if you think the "no alterations" or "no vandalism" clauses apply to you, then again, hang it up and stick to strictly private property. Personally I do not apply those clauses to us, because they all CLEARLY imply an end result, right? Ie.: you have not "defaced" or "vandalized" or "altered" anything, if you LEFT IT no trace of your presence, right? Sure someone can debate those definitions. But then again, you've lost before you start, if you automatically equate your hobby with "destruct" "vandalize" "deface", etc...

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somehow, I believe this topic got a bit deeper than Chuckers intended it to. I think I'm gonna side with Adrian (in another post reply) that we are all getting agitated because it's frikin winter and we can't all go "tectin" (gleaner) as much as we'd like to. Cabin fever!!!!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tom. He nailed it....every possible scenario. A little bit of common sense goes a longgg way.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is different though.....I'm more of a Eh....deal with it when I cross that bridge, last minute, risk taker, spur of the moment...oh well kind of a person

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Risk? No "risk" taken, if you've checked the rules beforehand (by yourself, looking it up yourself) and found it to be silent on the issue of detecting.

No more so, anyhow, than the "risk" of asking and getting a "no", where no real rule exists, other than that you found a bored desk clerk who simply gives the "easy answer". Then ..... presto, you have yourself a "no", where no one ever cared before, or would have noticed. That "risk" is more-so un-inviting, in my book.

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
ammo_u said:

Where at in Northern Oklahoma?
Osage Co, Barnsdall area.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Risk? No "risk" taken, if you've checked the rules beforehand (by yourself, looking it up yourself) and found it to be silent on the issue of detecting.

No more so, anyhow, than the "risk" of asking and getting a "no", where no real rule exists, other than that you found a bored desk clerk who simply gives the "easy answer". Then ..... presto, you have yourself a "no", where no one ever cared before, or would have noticed. That "risk" is more-so un-inviting, in my book.

Tom....in my book....you take a risk in anything you do....& with all the different possibilities at hand.....true statement. ..do you drink water Tom? You risk it going down the wrong way & choking....do you ever talk? You risk the chance of saying something wrong & offending someone..do you use a toilet stool when you go potty? You risk the chance of it not working..& not being able to flush. As I said....everyone's different...but we all take risks....even you Tom

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark said:
Somehow, I believe this topic got a bit deeper than Chuckers intended it to. I think I'm gonna side with Adrian (in another post reply) that we are all getting agitated because it's frikin winter and we can't all go "tectin" (gleaner) as much as we'd like to. Cabin fever!!!!

yeah... its not surprising... I was just trying to help promote the hobby in a positive way and there is always someone that will turn it around. but you may be right about the cabin fever... if so... its going to be a Looooooong winter for some of you guys!

Chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
chukers said:
iCandy said:
Well....I'm always looking for a good fight....& to date....I'm undefeated. So I'll take my chances. They don't call me beast for nothing

I can only imagine...

Lol....Chuck.....I'm serious!

I guess you just haven't found the right opponent! :occasion14:

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lmao....Chuck.....you're posts always cause drama...it's hilarious....with only good intentions

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
Lmao....Chuck.....you're posts always cause drama...it's hilarious....with only good intentions

oh no you got me figured out!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
iCandy said:
gleaner1 said:
chuckers it's easy to say that finding of treasures is the important thing. You awaken consciousness about the obligation of all metal detectorists and treasure hunters. Treasure hunting is a matter of responsibility, and reward.

Oh Gleany.....that was so heartfelt.....think I might shed me a tear.... :headbang:

Candy I cant write like that.... I owe this wonderful wordage to a little friend, I cannot take the feelings of guilt any longer. We were discussing chucker's post and this is the first thing he said. I pirated it. I am sorry.

Attachments

• yo.jpg
    yo.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 619

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be really Careful When Handling Lead Objects, Don't Ever Put them In your Mouth It Might Cause Dame Bramage!!! I'm seeing some Evidence of it Now!!! ( responces to this Post)))) I Know Bad Chug!!!!!! Really Bad I'm Going to the Corner!!! >>>>

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C&R Santa's other elves said:
Be really Careful When Handling Lead Objects, Don't Ever Put them In your Mouth It Might Cause Dame Bramage!!! I'm seeing some Evidence of it Now!!! ( responces to this Post)))) I Know Bad Chug!!!!!! Really Bad I'm Going to the Corner!!! >>>>

oh your not suppose to chew on lead?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
chukers said:
C&R Santa's other elves said:

oh your not suppose to chew on lead?

:tard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread