Garrett AT Pro or Tesoro Cortes???

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, I'm pretty much decided that the next detector I'll own will be either a Garrett AT Pro or a Tesoro Cortés. And me being more of a Garrett man, I'm leaning HARD toward the AT. Have they worked all the bugs out (if I buy a fresh one, and I of course would) and how is everyone doing with theirs? Your experience (with EITHER an AT Pro OR a Cortés) would be appreciated!!!!! Thanks friends! :notworthy:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
smcdmc said:
okdiggermark said:
@Shane: That's good info! It's good to hear from a few people that have actually had one. It seems you have to look long and hard for Cortes owners, and yeah, I'm sure it's a great machine! Most of us dig by the beep/chirp/howl/squeak/blip/grunt with or without TID anyway! LOL

I found mine for around $400 and have seen a few others between 400-500 used. I'm to cheap to buy new. lol

Know what you mean, I got the Garrett I'm using pre-owned.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
luvsdux said:
I can't speak for the Garrett, but I have both the Cortez and the DeLeon. Picked both of them up used and haven't had a problem with either. That said, If I were in your shoes I'd look hard at the differences in the bells and whistles on each machine versus the price. The biggest downside in my mind on the two Tesoro detectors concerns ground balancing. The Cortez only ground balances in the all metal mode, the discrimination mode is factory preset. The DeLeon is factory preset in both modes. Most of my detecting is in mild soil and both machines work very well here. The Cortez display is a bit small and can be a bit hard to read. On the plus side, they're both coin magnets in my soil and are a delight to swing as the weight is pretty light. I understand the Garrett is submersible to shallow depths which would be a big plus around creeks and beaches.

Of course you could always buy one of each, after all, anything worth having is worth having two of. Good luck in whatever you decide.
luvsdux

So ya love ducks huh? LOL Thats cool. I like them, but I couldn't say I love them. :tongue3: Sorry, I had a hard time focusing and had to read it twice. First time through, I couldn't think of anything other than ducks. Anyway, on to the subject...I thank you for your input; you've helped me realize that they don't ground balance in disc mode. Didn't realize that (thank you)! I'm after a detector that does. Our ground here is decent, but there are some spots that get a little weird...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
goldentruth said:
I can understand where you are at.
I like the minelab name and a lot of the research work they do as well as the deepest depth.
I have to be honest, I do think the prices are set too high for the top 3 best.
I would like to get a lower cost model but I would hate to wait a long time for repairs and would not like to get stuck if parts are no longer available.
When my Dad was alive he told me: Don't take chances.
I'm sayin if I lay out a pretty penny, I don't want to have what can't later be fixed but they are the best.
Good luck friend. 8)
That's why i won't buy any more minelabs.... When it gets so old they say we don't have parts so we can't fix it............... And i saw were one's that sent in detectors to minelab were told it would take $800.00 to fix them..... Almost what they paid for the detector........... That in my book is not good.........

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
goldentruth said:
I like the minelab name and a lot of the research work they do as well as the deepest depth.
I would like to get a lower cost model but I would hate to wait a long time for repairs and would not like to get stuck if parts are no longer available.
I'm sayin if I lay out a pretty penny, I don't want to have what can't later be fixed but they are the best.
Good luck friend. 8)
That's why i won't buy any more minelabs.... When it gets so old they say we don't have parts so we can't fix it............... And i saw were one's that sent in detectors to minelab were told it would take $800.00 to fix them..... Almost what they paid for the detector........... That in my book is not good.........

Actually the scuttle is that they've got new people at ML and they're supposedly great (I just was told yesterday). I'm not sure about the whole thing with how many years they keep parts and related issues however.

Keppy? Ya better be careful not to drop your Soverign... :laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
okdiggermark said:
Keppy said:
goldentruth said:
Good luck friend. 8)

Actually the scuttle is that they've got new people at ML and they're supposedly great (I just was told yesterday). I'm not sure about the whole thing with how many years they keep parts and related issues however.

Keppy? Ya better be careful not to drop your Soverign... :laughing7:
I try to keep my Sovereign safe......... But on new people at minelab there is always new people there........... Like i have said before they get good on service and other things for a time then go back to there crappy ways......... With Minelab it is up & down... It is Good then bad...good then bad........... it has been like that for years now......... Minelab is a big company and my theory is they get good people in the detecting department of the company........... Then they promote them .... Then they get some one that don't give a crap about that department or are trying to make a name for themselves in the co. and screw us to make a profit so they look good................. like i said good , bad ,good , bad ... up n down up n down.............. They transfer people around or fire them or they quit in that company "Minelab" more than i change sox....

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Keppy: That's sad.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned a new Cortes last year and sold it. IMO it's way over priced for what your getting, the design is close to 10 years old. It had really poor depth, I even sent it in for a check up and it came back with a clean bill of health and still no change in performance. It sucked in trashy areas and pin pointing took a lot of practice. I was really put off by the fact that my F2 could run circles around it in ever department at a fraction of the cost.

I don't own a Garrett but I would put my money on a modern machine.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin Digger said:
I've owned a new Cortes last year and sold it. IMO it's way over priced for what your getting, the design is close to 10 years old. It had really poor depth, I even sent it in for a check up and it came back with a clean bill of health and still no change in performance. It sucked in trashy areas and pin pointing took a lot of practice. I was really put off by the fact that my F2 could run circles around it in ever department at a fraction of the cost.

Thank you!!!

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin Digger said:

I can't help but think you got a lemon, although I can't explain them sending it back with a clean bill of health. If mine was like that I would not be happy either, but it's not. I am very satisfied with depth and can pinpoint a coin so that I have have never missed with a 3" plug. I know differences in soil can profoundly effect depth, and a lot of people will say air tests are useless for that reason. But just to satisfy my own curiosity for a comparison between my Cortes and Garrett I performed an air test and could easily get a foot or more on large cents and silver quarters with the Cortes. But once again, if mine performed the way you described yours I would not be happy. :(

Shane

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Cortez gets very good depth in my ground and the TID is as accurate as any I've seen. Pinpointing is a breeze IMHO.
Coin Diggers experience is just the opposite of mine for whatever reason.
luvdux

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin Digger said:
Like it or not the Cortes is dated and over priced. Lifetime warranty is great but doesn't mean much when an F2 out performs it.
Here's a post I did on it last year.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,358692.msg2572722.html#msg2572722

See, that's me....I love the lifetime warranty, but I can't stick that warranty sticker on the bottom of my coil and find deeper coins with it LOL. Call me a risk taker or fool, but I'm going with the Etrac for sure. I want to thank everyone, and I mean EVERYONE (regardless of what your experience or opinion was), for your comments, thoughts and posts! :notworthy:

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
badger said:
It's been my experience that Tesoro is superior over anything Garrett makes. I use the Vaquero and the Lobo which both find gold using a small coil. (4 inch)
I have used Garrett detectors but feel that Tesoro is a better machine. Yes, Tesoro may cost a little more but well worth it.

Thanks Badger. I ended up buying an E-Trac and couldn't be happier! ;-)

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
OKDigger, you went from a Radio Shack to Garrett ATPro to Minelab Etrac 1-2-3? You learn quick. :icon_sunny: :laughing9:

Never had nor even considered a radio shack and wouldn't. Never owned, rented, leased an AT Pro. I think you're confused Gleaner..... :laughing9:

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
OK I jest, but I must admit, a little sour grapes on my part. I want an Etrac, just too frikin expensive for me.

Undastood. S'all good in da hood brotha! Fo shizzy iz alotta clamz, but iz all good fo realz! Lol

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
okdiggermark said:
gleaner1 said:
OK I jest, but I must admit, a little sour grapes on my part. I want an Etrac, just too frikin expensive for me.

Undastood. S'all good in da hood brotha! Fo shizzy iz alotta clamz, but iz all good fo realz! Lol

Roughly translated, okdiggermark is expressing his deepest gratification that he has finally discarded his old Radio Shack for a brand spanking new Etrac, and additionally, he is serving up a huge bunch of sour grapes to gleaner. I'm shizzen that. :)

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
okdiggermark said:
gleaner1 said:

Roughly translated, okdiggermark is expressing his deepest gratification that he has finally discarded his old Radio Shack for a brand spanking new Etrac, and additionally, he is serving up a huge bunch of sour grapes to gleaner. I'm shizzen that. :)

ROFLMAO!!!! You and radio shack....LOL!!! Didn't know radio shack sold Garrett's or I would've bought there because it'd have probably been cheaper! 😜

Now......on to a serious note: I, Mark (aka Okdiggermark) come before Gleaner and/or all that have the ability to read or see and all members, Administrators, Moderators, and any and all non-member Internet viewers, do by on own submission, knowingly and admittedly solemnly swear that no ill feelings we're expressed or implied to one Gleaner as to tear down, or to deflate spirits or attitude, and wish no harm or foul upon previously mentioned Gleaner. So documented and recorded this day of March 10th, 2012 at 12:13 pm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions