Garrett AT Pro or Tesoro Cortes???

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, I'm pretty much decided that the next detector I'll own will be either a Garrett AT Pro or a Tesoro Cortés. And me being more of a Garrett man, I'm leaning HARD toward the AT. Have they worked all the bugs out (if I buy a fresh one, and I of course would) and how is everyone doing with theirs? Your experience (with EITHER an AT Pro OR a Cortés) would be appreciated!!!!! Thanks friends! :notworthy:

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Garrett AT Pro or Tesoro Cortés???

Okie
(is that how they spell it?) I have owned several Garretts over the last 35/40 years. They are considered by some as "low end machines". They have done alright by me. Can't comment about the Tesoros, though. Never owned one. Got you on the "buddy list". Tnx. TTC

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TerryC said:
Okie
(is that how they spell it?) I have owned several Garretts over the last 35/40 years. They are considered by some as "low end machines". They have done alright by me. Can't comment about the Tesoros, though. Never owned one. Got you on the "buddy list". Tnx. TTC

The Garrett I have now has been, and still is a good machine. Thanks Terry. And yeah, it's spelled Okie LOL

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can't comment on the Cortes either, although my experience with Tesoro has all been fantastic.

If you are a Garrett man I would say stay one. From everything I have seen and heard the AT Pro is all systems go now. I have used my own (newer version) and tested four I received as trades all newer versions, they all worked as they should, and it is an impressive machine to say the least. I also had an upgraded one and had no issues with that either.

Tom

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hosensack said:
I can't comment on the Cortes either, although my experience with Tesoro has all been fantastic.

If you are a Garrett man I would say stay one. From everything I have seen and heard the AT Pro is all systems go now. I have used my own (newer version) and tested four I received as trades all newer versions, they all worked as they should, and it is an impressive machine to say the least. I also had an upgraded one and had no issues with that either.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I guess basically what's hanging me up is this:

1.) If the AT Pro is such a great machine (and I believe it is; especially for the $$$), then why are so many being sold, traded in, and put on Ebay?

2.) If the Cortes is such a great machine (and I believe it is), then why doesn't hardly anyone have one? YouTube doesn't have any video's on them (at least not in English)!!!

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I can answer from personal experience.

I really wanted to try out a Cortes, yet as you noted nobody "seems" to want them or have tried them, it is priced at a high enough price that I was not willing to gamble on a machine that the only substantial reviews I could find were from Tesoro and "Lost treasure" field tests.

The AT Pro (while this is an assumption) I believe is still people being gun shy. The AT Pro has a learning curve and the Pro Audio takes some getting used too. The first misread target or bad day is written off as the machine not being right and they jump ship.

I also think since the Pro is an upgrade for many, once they start having better success they automatically want the next bigger better machine and trade in to buy a top of the line(price tag) machine.

But I have had no complaints on any of mine, and there are plenty of positive threads on here regarding it. The Cortes as mentioned above has limited numbers.

Tom

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hosensack said:
I think I can answer from personal experience.

I really wanted to try out a Cortes, yet as you noted nobody "seems" to want them or have tried them, it is priced at a high enough price that I was not willing to gamble on a machine that the only substantial reviews I could find were from Tesoro and "Lost treasure" field tests.

The AT Pro (while this is an assumption) I believe is still people being gun shy. The AT Pro has a learning curve and the Pro Audio takes some getting used too. The first misread target or bad day is written off as the machine not being right and they jump ship.

I also think since the Pro is an upgrade for many, once they start having better success they automatically want the next bigger better machine and trade in to buy a top of the line(price tag) machine.

But I have had no complaints on any of mine, and there are plenty of positive threads on here regarding it. The Cortes as mentioned above has limited numbers.

Tom

You're probably right Tom.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an AT Pro, one of the original ones produced in November of 2010. Mine falls into the production window of the ones having all the trouble. Guess what? Mine has worked flawlessly since day one. I have never had any issue with falsing or leaking. I did send mine back for the shaft upgrade and a complete check-up, including pressure test and new 2-year extended warranty.

It is my go-to machine. I honestly feel that most complaints were from a few folks, not the majority of the owners out there. I’m not trying to disrespect anyone who had troubles, but in the age of the internet, mole hills can turn into mountains very quickly.

You are a “Garrett man”, you’re accustomed to the nuances of Garrett machines, I’d lean toward buying the Garrett to minimize the learning curve. Buy it and don’t worry about trouble, it has a 2-year warranty. I honestly don’t think you’ll regret it.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dwight S said:
I have an AT Pro, one of the original ones produced in November of 2010. Mine falls into the production window of the ones having all the trouble. Guess what? Mine has worked flawlessly since day one. I have never had any issue with falsing or leaking. I did send mine back for the shaft upgrade and a complete check-up, including pressure test and new 2-year extended warranty.

It is my go-to machine. I honestly feel that most complaints were from a few folks, not the majority of the owners out there. I’m not trying to disrespect anyone who had troubles, but in the age of the internet, mole hills can turn into mountains very quickly.

You are a “Garrett man”, you’re accustomed to the nuances of Garrett machines, I’d lean toward buying the Garrett to minimize the learning curve. Buy it and don’t worry about trouble, it has a 2-year warranty. I honestly don’t think you’ll regret it.

Thanks for your input. I believe I will!

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own an AT Pro.... love it. I also have a Tesoro.....love it. (not a Cortes or DeLeon)

I often wonder why so many AT's have hit ebay... agree most of this may come from early production problems. The other may be that it is a mid range priced machine that offers alot and appeals to first time users, it didnt break the bank too bad, but then found out that detecting was not their cup of tea....for one reason or another.

The AT is not a Lexus or Mercedes. It's more like an old Jeep (or insert favorite off-road vehicle). Goes everywhere. This is one reason I bought the AT over a Tesoro ID machine. I dont have to worry about it. Rain, submersion, silt, sand... it doesnt get in through connections or the battery compartment. It actually runs much more stable on wet salt sand than other machines I have used (tried to use) in the same situation.

I love the roll tone on the machine.... I never used the standard mode at all.... takes getting used to... but I dont dig caps with that machine. Wish I could say that about the machine I spent twice as much on. :wink:

The only thing about the AT that I wished it had was a backlight and a tad larger VDI # display.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lakemonster said:
I own an AT Pro.... love it. I also have a Tesoro.....love it. (not a Cortes or DeLeon)

I often wonder why so many AT's have hit ebay... agree most of this may come from early production problems. The other may be that it is a mid range priced machine that offers alot and appeals to first time users, it didnt break the bank too bad, but then found out that detecting was not their cup of tea....for one reason or another.

The AT is not a Lexus or Mercedes. It's more like an old Jeep (or insert favorite off-road vehicle). Goes everywhere. This is one reason I bought the AT over a Tesoro ID machine. I dont have to worry about it. Rain, submersion, silt, sand... it doesnt get in through connections or the battery compartment. It actually runs much more stable on wet salt sand than other machines I have used (tried to use) in the same situation.

I love the roll tone on the machine.... I never used the standard mode at all.... takes getting used to... but I dont dig caps with that machine. Wish I could say that about the machine I spent twice as much on. :wink:

The only thing about the AT that I wished it had was a backlight and a tad larger VDI # display.

Very good!

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not afraid of the AT PRO and as soon as my wife turns her back I'm buying one...(its her I'm afraid of)...lol :laughing7:

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relicminer said:
I'm not afraid of the AT PRO and as soon as my wife turns her back I'm buying one...(its her I'm afraid of)...lol :laughing7:

I know the feeling.....

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello friend. I noticed the comment about the many used garett at pro's for sale. Personally sometimes it spooks me just like the "White's Bullseye" pin pointer which I have seen many and at lowered prices. (Kinda like the stocks, when a bad investment they drop and people run away and sell off.) Thanks to the high tech we have and great comments/experience from our "Think Tanks", I learned the buttons fail on many bullseye units and did not take the wear & tear on the field. I have seen posts and their exposure hoped they fixed their problems but the work great when operational. I am not trying to put down any companys, they are in business because the many products do work well. I was looking at the Minelab but the best is out of my spending range and one youtube said a famous trails (sold at Radio shack) & the cheepest Tesoro works as well as the low priced Minelab and you could buy 2 metal detectors for the same price as the one Minelab. (Check the youtube.)
Now I have not had a Tesoro Cortez, but let me say this. I have one of the first made original-production classic 1980's Tesoro Golden Sabre. I scored on ebay, 31 years old, still operational. I use it in all metal mode & discriminate & at the nickle setting.Sensitivty set at 3-4. I dig all targets so I do not miss nuggets, coins and artifacts. (I do get alot of junk wire & 100 year old "Square Nails" from the 1800's but that is part of the game.)Not being the original owner I phoned the Tesoro Company, they gave me settings-advice and offered to give it a quality control check-up! They even mailed me (FREE!) a battery holder (which was missing) and a new battery cover with the "quick pull" plastic pin/gromet. Excellent Customer service.
We all have our own tastes, I go on youtube and see people in the field. (Some I think salt their finds to make it look easy or they are lucky each time they go out but I check out their technique and I am happy for all who really do find it for real. Good luck friend. :hello:

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goldentruth said:
Hello friend. I noticed the comment about the many used garett at pro's for sale. Personally sometimes it spooks me just like the "White's Bullseye" pin pointer which I have seen many and at lowered prices. (Kinda like the stocks, when a bad investment they drop and people run away and sell off.) Thanks to the high tech we have and great comments/experience from our "Think Tanks", I learned the buttons fail on many bullseye units and did not take the wear & tear on the field. I have seen posts and their exposure hoped they fixed their problems but the work great when operational. I am not trying to put down any companys, they are in business because the many products do work well. I was looking at the Minelab but the best is out of my spending range and one youtube said a famous trails (sold at Radio shack) & the cheepest Tesoro works as well as the low priced Minelab and you could buy 2 metal detectors for the same price as the one Minelab. (Check the youtube.)
Now I have not had a Tesoro Cortez, but let me say this. I have one of the first made original-production classic 1980's Tesoro Golden Sabre. I scored on ebay, 31 years old, still operational. I use it in all metal mode & discriminate & at the nickle setting.Sensitivty set at 3-4. I dig all targets so I do not miss nuggets, coins and artifacts. (I do get alot of junk wire & 100 year old "Square Nails" from the 1800's but that is part of the game.)Not being the original owner I phoned the Tesoro Company, they gave me settings-advice and offered to give it a quality control check-up! They even mailed me a battery holder (which was missing) and a new battery cover with the "quick pull" plastic pin/gromet. Excellent Customer service.
We all have our own tastes, I go on youtube and see people in the field. (Some I think salt their finds to make it look easy or they are lucky each time they go out but I check out their technique and I am happy for all who really do find it for real. Good luck friend. :hello:

Thank you GoldenT. The fact that Tesoro is a Company that no matter how big they get, they promised back in the 80's when they were first starting to grow, that they would never become a Company that didn't treat their Customers with the "Small Company," "Little Guy" approach and the Lifetime Warranty is what makes me consider them. Plus, they make dang good detectors!!! That's impressive how they took care of you with your Golden Sabre. Thanks for sharing that.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lakemonster said:

Hey Lakemonster, if it had a backlight, then we wouldn't have a reason to go home when it gets dark! ;D

Also, you're not supposed to look at that VDI display VDI #'s lie, you're supposed to dig based on sound.
I'm sure you're like me and go mostly by sound, but having an idea what we're expecting to find is nice too...

I'm ready for some time off from work, going to go for a long day of relic hunting...

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a video of the Garrett AT Pro and me finding a cannon ball and tons of Civil War relics here in Oklahoma. Hope you enjoy the Garrett AT Pro Relic Hunt.

Feel free to call me with questions or for a great deal!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart@ Big Boys Hobbies said:
Here is a video of the Garrett AT Pro and me finding a cannon ball and tons of Civil War relics here in Oklahoma. Hope you enjoy the Garrett AT Pro Relic Hunt.

Feel free to call me with questions or for a great deal!

Thanks Bart!!!

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Garrett has the hype and its probably cause they have great detectors. :icon_thumleft:
That being said, Im a Tesoro guy and always will be. I can tell you more stories of how great the company is and how they take care of their customers but theyd be similar to all the great ones youve already read.
I personally wouldnt even consider a Garrett over a Tesoro. Im not rich at all and like to know that when I go out that Tesoro has my back if i break something. Even if its my fault, theyll still fix it.

If you want bells, whistles and blinking lights, get a Garrett. Most people who dont care about that stuff dont buy Garretts.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
deathhare said:
I know Garrett has the hype and its probably cause they have great detectors. :icon_thumleft:
That being said, Im a Tesoro guy and always will be. I can tell you more stories of how great the company is and how they take care of their customers but theyd be similar to all the great ones youve already read.
I personally wouldnt even consider a Garrett over a Tesoro. Im not rich at all and like to know that when I go out that Tesoro has my back if i break something. Even if its my fault, theyll still fix it.

If you want bells, whistles and blinking lights, get a Garrett. Most people who dont care about that stuff dont buy Garretts.

Yep. And that's what's making me consider the Cortes so much. BTW....my current Garrett doesn't have any lights, bells or whistles. LOL And it's a coin findin son of a buck. It just doesn't go quite as deep as I'm aiming for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread