Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my first detector for just over a year.....a Fisher F75 (Standard). I have used a number of different headphones, both cheap and high dollar. I have found that I like the inexpensive Koss, behind the neck and over the ear headphones the best for both performance and comfort. However, I still don't like having that %^&$ cord getting in the way.

To resolve this, I have ordered a Bluetooth dongle and Bluetooth headphones, hoping this will work well with my detector. If it works, it will be a wonderful thing not to be tethered to the machine!!

If anyone has tried this, please, let me know how it worked out. In any event, I will post back with my experience after the items arrive. The dongle was about $25, the headphones about $30, both purchased through Amazon. (Sears sells the identical dongle for twice the price)

Dongle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B8GF7Y/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1
Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Sound-ORACO-ERM28-GBA01-Headphones-Black/dp/B0040Z1EHY/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
greydigger said:
Just ordered this set-up.
Arctic headphones were easy to find.
Hope I got the right dongle.
Thanks Roland.
Grey

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. It is such a pleasure not to deal with that 'tether' between my headphones and machine! The battery charge on both (Tx and Rx) seems to be considerably longer than advertised. I still haven't figured out if the batteries can be changed without destroying either one.....I'll let you know if I find out.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I got my set and was so happy with them ordered a set for my son.
Today we went on several hunts.
Have about 1/2 second delay on signal which took a bit getting used to.
Had to "X" the spot several times before pinpointing.
Eventually learned and continued for a good day for here.
Got several coins, a couple tokens and a small silver foot.
Am very happy with NO WIRES!
Grey

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
greydigger said:
I got my set and was so happy with them ordered a set for my son.
Today we went on several hunts.
Have about 1/2 second delay on signal which took a bit getting used to.
Had to "X" the spot several times before pinpointing.
Eventually learned and continued for a good day for here.
Got several coins, a couple tokens and a small silver foot.
Am very happy with NO WIRES!
Grey

So glad you like the set up. I am a little concerned about the delay you are experiencing. That is exactly what I was warned about when I was researching this arrangement, but, I am not getting any discernible amount of delay. If there is any at all, it is when I am swinging hard and fast. What machine are you using?....and did you buy the same Tx and Rx that I got?

Sure glad you like the set up.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Got the same headphones but not sure of Tx.
Those #s didn't come up on Amazon.
I got "TaoTronics TT-BA01" bluetooth adaptor. $22.99.
Grey

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
FYI,
I ordered this same combination and definitely observe some delay compared to speaker or a hard wired headphone.
Does anyone know if the delay source is the transmitter or receiver(headphones) or both?
I expect if you want to swing faster you will still hear the targets(delayed a little), but for accurate pinpointing you will have to go slow.

-Scott

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using this set up for over a month now and I haven't noticed any delay, maybe I just can't tell the difference :dontknow:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this the set you are talking about....P31X Bundle Stereo Bluetooth headset with USB Bluetooth adapter...HEASO-ERM40_GBAO1 ? And what are you talking about when you say RX or TX ?

Attachments

• 51ESxT1PK0L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51ESxT1PK0L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 711
OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Is this the set you are talking about....P31X Bundle Stereo Bluetooth headset with USB Bluetooth adapter...HEASO-ERM40_GBAO1 ? And what are you talking about when you say RX or TX ?

Yeah, that looks like the same headset, but, a USB plug didn't come with mine.....no need for one. I posted pics of the items I have at the beginning of this thread. Tx = transmit Rx = receive The only reason I can possibly see for any kind of latency (delay) would be the time it takes for the Tx to convert an analog signal to digital for Bluetooth and the Bluetooth headset to convert the digital back to analog for driving the speaker magnets. This amount of time should be minimal, at the most! I have to be swinging really hard and fast to discern the slightest delay, a method I seldom use.....this is for cherry picking quarters on the way back to the car at the end of the day! :laughing7:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My detector doesn't have a USB port so I don't know how you would plug that TX unit in.
The headphones are fine. Can be used for anything.
I plugged my "dongle" into my home stereo with outboard speakers still on and it has a delay,
like an echo difference from the hard wired speakers to the headset.
With practice I was able to learn to accomodate this delay and pinpoint within a 3" circle.
That's as good as it gets with my MXT and then I go to my pinpointer.
Lots of "X"s over the signal from different sides.
Maybe the "dongle" circuits are causing the delay, have not tried any other test.
Grey

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
greydigger said:
My detector doesn't have a USB port so I don't know how you would plug that TX unit in.
The headphones are fine. Can be used for anything.
<snip>
Maybe the "dongle" circuits are causing the delay, have not tried any other test.
Grey

Hey Grey,
Not sure what you are asking about when you mention your detector does not have a USB port? I think the confusion is coming from Keppy's picture of the headset....it appears to have a USB plug with it (that's what it looks like, at the bottom of the picture). Mine did not come with that "adapter", if that is what it is. If you look at my pictures at the beginning of the thread, you can see the dongle plugged into my machine via a 3.5mm plug into a 1/4" adapter. No USB on my detector, either.
Whatever your source of delay, I'm glad you are able to work around it. I still suspect the latency to be in the conversion of analog to digital for transmission and digital to analog for receiving/listening via the headset. Although, I don't understand why yours would be greater. I do know that the nice thing is not being tethered to the detector!!

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AUVIO 33-283 2.4GHZ DIGITAL WIRELESS HEADPHONES is what I use... here's a few pics. no lag, rechargable, and about a 20 ft range with the transmitter. All I added for it to work is a 1/8th to 1/4 adapter so it can plug into any detector headphones jack...

Attachments

• phones 1.jpg
    phones 1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 363
  • phones 2.jpg
    phones 2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 410
  • phones 1.jpg
    phones 1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 291
  • phones 2.jpg
    phones 2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Viddy said:
AUVIO 33-283 2.4GHZ DIGITAL WIRELESS HEADPHONES is what I use... here's a few pics. no lag, rechargable, and about a 20 ft range with the transmitter. All I added for it to work is a 1/8th to 1/4 adapter so it can plug into any detector headphones jack...

Nice looking set up. If you don't mind, what did the whole arrangement set you back......not the detector, just the Tx and Rx and where did you get them?

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$70 on Ebay. brand new in the box. Radio Shack's used to have them, then they jsut sell them online now. Someone said they were out of stock tho. I saw people rave about this set up and rolled the dice. Man were they right!
No delay... charge the transmitter and receiver at the same time, lasts about 12-15 hours on a charge.
charges full in about 2 hours.
Auvio light will go from blink to steady when fully charged.
Headphones swivel to get the ear cups together to help protect them if you throw them in with other gear. Very light, and the transmitter size is VERY small.
can actually swap out the rechargable batteries AAA in the headphones for non-rechargables. has a small swith in the battery door for which you are using.

I crank up the volume on my ETrac and then fine tune the headphones volume to the threshhold. That works VERY good for hearing slight deep beeps.

pigboy1536

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a great idea, Thanks for the thought and the info on how to get them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions