Can a miner place "Miners Claim Sign" on a tree of a camping area?

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can a miner place "Miners Claim Sign" on a tree of a camping area?

Here in Shasta County I went to a camping area where overnight camping & Fire permits are required, I was going to park to go up a quartz rock hill side and I saw a Miners Claim with name/placer mining on some trees by a fire ring. Somebody tell me if someone is taging the creek can the miner claim a campsite as private?
I was metal detecting away from that area on a hill side and I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is legal to keep people our of the camp area. Please post a reply, I would like to know before I ask the local ranger. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Can a miner place "Miners Claim Sign" on a tree of a camping area?

Rules change all the time and in different places. Why not ask the Ranger, they would know the policy or law. Off hand I'd say they can't claim the campsite as private.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can check here to see if a claim actually exists at the location... http://www.geocommunicator.gov/

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Claims only apply to the mineral content in the ground. Sure, the miner can stake his sign to the tree, he is marking his boundary. That doesn't, and cant, stop anyone from camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc. It means that you can't go metal detecting or prospecting inside his claim though. To do so is considered "mineral theft or mineral tresspass" and you can be arrested for it.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

What Jason said....

No worries if you see a claim sign on your favorite camping spot. You can camp there, hike there, do whatever you want as long as you aren't after the minerals in the ground there.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the replys.
The guy who was paid to watch the claim said he did not care about metal detecting but was looking out for people working the creek with a sluce box or panning for gold. He claimed the rights were a mile of creek. I did not question but that was a long area to claim, I have to check facts out when I can. At least I can camp there with the porper day fees paid.

Cable

Dec 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
mxt, dfx, gmt,f75ltd, f5, gold bug, bhid

I would say that anyone can put up any sign, anywhere and at any time----if you want believe them is up to you. They have to have a whole host of info on the sign

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cable said:
I would say that anyone can put up any sign, anywhere and at any time----if you want believe them is up to you. They have to have a whole host of info on the sign

All you have to know is that there is a claim marker posted, and YOU don't hold a claim there. That is enough to keep you from prospecting there. You are free to go do research and see if there is a valid claim, but to just ignore it the posting is an invitation for arrest or worse. Some people do believe in shooting claim jumpers.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A miner can "close off" the immediate area of their claim - in other words, the spot they are working.

Just a note for everyone on geo communicator.

They are dropping their "claim" searches. Don't depend on them to find out.

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread