I want to get into metal detecting... Can you folks give me some advise?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, first off, let me introduce myself.

I have been(and I still am) an avid coin collector. I have been collecting coins since I was 6 years old.
I also love history, and for background info, I am located in the eastern part of America.

I was wondering what a good beginner detector is for me, as I have NEVER been metal detecting before. I would however, love to get into metal detecting.

I know there are many good sites that sell name brand metal detectors. I do want to buy a decant name brand one, not too expensive though. (one perfect for beginners, but also great for experianced metal detectors as well)

I have been doing a lot of research lately on metal detecting, but it all seems confusing to me. Can anybody help?

Thank you, and I hope everybody has a wonderful New Year's!!!
BuffaloBoy

Upvote 0

LeoTrench-MAINE

Aug 7, 2011
Americas Maritime Province
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BB!! Nice to see you're joining the ranks of the dirt fishers.

A Garrett 205 is a good starter unit, and you WANT a starter unit or you'll go nuts frustrating
yourself with an expensive unit.

Also, after a year, you will have developed locations and sites that you will hit over and over again.

Then you go back when you have a better unit and try for the stuff deeper down.

The hardest part is finding your first site...just get out and go. Expirence will do the rest.

HH

Trench

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Machines with displays are attractive and make you think, according to the ads, that you'll always know what's underground. That with a wonder display you'll never dig up junk. Personally I've had 4 display machines and 3 of them were skitsophrenic on most finds. The display would jump all around, and if it had multiple tones those would jump around all over the place. The forth one is one machine I wish I'd never sold. (White's Quantum XT)

You are 100 times better not having the extra bells and whistles. Get a good audio only machine, set the discrimination to where the machine will detect a nickel, then learn those sounds. For example I have a Tesoro Sidewinder and zinc pennies sound like someone ringing a bell.

I wouldn't go with a strictly begineer's machine. A Tesoro Cibola (list $425) or any machine above that in their line is where I'd look to spend my money.

If you want to go with a good display machine look to spend $600-$700 min. new. Yes, they make lower priced display units, but with a display unit, you really should spend the extra money.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've never detected ever before and have over 2,100 posts on T-Net? Forgive me if I sound sarcastic, because I'm truly being serious.......Just a little confused.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
okdiggermark said:
You've never detected ever before and have over 2,100 posts on T-Net? Forgive me if I sound sarcastic, because I'm truly being serious.......Just a little confused.

FWIW, BB is a valued contributor to the Coin Roll Hunting forums, and a very good guy.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
clovis97 said:
okdiggermark said:

FWIW, BB is a valued contributor to the Coin Roll Hunting forums, and a very good guy.

I could tell he sounded intelligent and specific. It simply surprised me. Thank you, and welcome to the addiction Buffalo Boy! Have you bought a detector yet? If so, which one did you choose? I'm convinced you bought the best one for YOU, and that's all that matters outside of getting out and learning it! Best of luck to you, and happy hunting/finding! It's all in the hunt.....whatever you find is icing!!!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark, why would you be confused :icon_scratch: He stated he is a coin collector and I'll bet he's one from the coin rolling forum.. Drop some big bugs and sift through half dollar coins for silver.

Besides, just becuase you're a golf pro, or a coach, doesn't mean you can play the game :laughing9:

I think he enjoys this hobby and loved reading about it.. Now he's had enough reading and wants to get his hands dirty. :tongue3:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buffaloboy,

Sounds like you are into old coins and relics. I normally recommend beginner machines but in your case I'm going to suggest you strongly consider the Minelab Explorer or E-Trac.

I do not own one but I have to acknowledge they are the best old silver/copper detectors I have seen. Their depth is excellent for the really old stuff and their ID features are first rate. And yes, they'll find gold coins too. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the treasure of valueable information!!! I am considering buying an ace250, as I have heard some good thingd about it, though I am not rushing into buying a MD, but hopefully I will get one soon enough. ;D

There are so many options you can get on Metal detectors! :icon_sunny:

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome comes out to you for thinking & possibly getting into our Hobby/Crazy-Cool/Fun of Metal Detecting.
I wouldn't be as nerdy as Tom hanks sayin: "It's like a box of chocolates" But you can get a thrill at times when you hit a promising target, like most we have hope we hit good score.
By all means check youtube on the hunts when you google types of metal detectors or "Find Gold".
You will make many good friends here on T-Net. to point you in the right direction... Welcome aboard friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions