I want to get into metal detecting... Can you folks give me some advise?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, first off, let me introduce myself.

I have been(and I still am) an avid coin collector. I have been collecting coins since I was 6 years old.
I also love history, and for background info, I am located in the eastern part of America.

I was wondering what a good beginner detector is for me, as I have NEVER been metal detecting before. I would however, love to get into metal detecting.

I know there are many good sites that sell name brand metal detectors. I do want to buy a decant name brand one, not too expensive though. (one perfect for beginners, but also great for experianced metal detectors as well)

I have been doing a lot of research lately on metal detecting, but it all seems confusing to me. Can anybody help?

Thank you, and I hope everybody has a wonderful New Year's!!!
BuffaloBoy

Upvote 0

Cranman

Dec 1, 2011
Central NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My advice, for what it's worth as a beginner myself, would be to find a decent used detector and try it out for a few times to be sure you really like the hobby. It's sometimes not as fun as you might think at first, trying to find a good spot to detect, digging alot of trash, nails, pull tabs etc. But when you find cool stuff and know that it's something you want to continue doing, then you can spend a little on a better detector.

If you really want to buy a new one, I hear alot of good things about the Garrett Ace 250 and Ace 350's. I wish I had got one, but I got a good deal on a Whites detector that seems to work ok.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buffalo Boy: 1st... You owe it to yourself to go to the youtube site and enter" Metal Detecting & Metal Detecting for Gold. You will see many "Live" videos of people using all types of MD's.
You can imput the type of MD you are thinking of.
2nd... Go on ebay! Check out the prices of New & Used MD Units.
Personally, I bought a used/cheep Radio shack "Famous Trails ll " for $40.00, It is like the bounty hunter in operation. I sold it and went on Ebay and found a vintage Tesoro 1980's Golden Sabre ll VLF with silent search.
This one does not have the needle display (Which many do not mean a thing) learning how the sound reacts "is the ticket" you learn and get good at with experience.
I read 2 days ago here on T.Net a guy was with his grandpaw in Alaska with a $100 MD and found large gold nuggets. Later the son wrote he went back and last year cleared 60 Oz's!
His comment was if you are where the gold is the finder with any MD will find it.
If the person has a expensive MD (thousands of $$) and the gold is not there... it won't matter much.
Sure the expensive MD's work better than the cheeper ones but it is the user and the place that make the difference. a Quote: Gold is where you find it. Amen.
Some places rent out Md's, try it and see if you like it & Check out the finds!
Hope 2012 is the best year for you! Best of luck and Welcome friend.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuffaloBoy said:

I have been(and I still am) an avid coin collector. I have been collecting coins since I was 6 years old.
I also love history, and for background info, I am located in the eastern part of America.

I was wondering what a good beginner detector is for me, as I have NEVER been metal detecting before. I would however, love to get into metal detecting.

I know there are many good sites that sell name brand metal detectors. I do want to buy a decant name brand one, not too expensive though. (one perfect for beginners, but also great for experianced metal detectors as well)

I have been doing a lot of research lately on metal detecting, but it all seems confusing to me. Can anybody help?

BuffaloBoy

Feel free to give me a call. Love to help you!

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector is Fisher F2, I still find everything with it!!!! :thumbsup:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a detetctor then watch youtube videos on the detector that you purchased & you will be a pro in no time at all!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from White Plains, New York!

Hey BB! First, how good-a-shape are you in? Can you do 20-jumping jacks, 10-pushups, and 25-situps in 5-minutes? If you can't, that is OK, but you are going to get sore after your first hunt. Metal detecting requires physical skills as well as a machine, headphones, a digging tool, kneepads, gloves and a finds-bag - at the minimum. You can start with a very good VLF (very low frequency) metal detector for as little as $160.00. I have a machine that costs $5,500.00 which I bought for gold nugget hunting. You can spend a lot of dough on our "hobby" (sickness). Be prepared to dig a lot of garbage between fun finds. If you do not love being outdoors, and doing kneeling exercises for six-hours at a time, then don't bother purchasing a Tesoro Compadre metal detector. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

BuffaloBoy said:

BuffaloBoy

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F2 what a coin shooter :blob7: Great beginners machine!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
BB, you will get many replies here "mines the best, brand-X, chevy, no, honda, etc".
I'd say buy a new or used entry model in your price range, in case you find out MDing's just not your bag. I know of several folks that purchased detectors, used 'em once or twice, they now collect dust in a closet. Good luck with your choice. ffd

baldy804

May 6, 2010
welcome to the hobby i would just like to say that while your focus is on a detector. proper use in recovery is gonna be key in being able to continue to use our machines in public places like parks and such if your in a grassy area a screwdriver or coin probe works well after you have located the item with you detector instead of breaking out the shovel take your probe or screw driver and gently push it into the ground to locate the target cut a small slit in the sod and flip the coin outthis takes some time and practice but will save you from having to dig a 1x1 foot holeplease fill all holes and pack any trash you mayfind out along with any trash someone before u left :icon_thumright:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome and detecting is great if you're located in an area with a lot of history and undisturbed properties (undeveloped and much as it was 100+ years ago). If you live in a sparse area with few places that had a lot of traffic 100 years ago you'd do better to forget detecting and go picking (like the American Pickers).

I've always made fabulous finds doing this very thing.

And too the chances of finding valuable items in decent condition are much better when searching the online coin/relic/collectable auctions and doing physical searches on site (locate old junk hoarders). I've purchased coins online for under $10 and resold them for over $100. There are fabulous deals out there but one needs knowledge and patience.

I still do a little metal detecting but I find 1000 times more picking. One can find treasures out there, sell them on ebay, and use the money to buy top notch coins (instead of nasty pitted things of often little numismatic value).

Just some thoughts.
Good luck.

chris725

Greenie
Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here would be my two cents.... I'm by no means an expert in this field, nor am I a brand lover (White's, Garrett, Fisher, etc.). I started out with a White's in the 80's when I was to young to understand what I had in my hands and lost interest very quickly. It was Christmas gift, so no money loss for me and like I said, I was young. Quite a few years later the MD bug hit me again, so I purchased a Garrett Ace 250 which I really enjoyed and found a good bit coins (mostly newer stuff), but again once the "new-ness" wore off and working as a mechanic in the marina world from April until November, my time was very limited and without having time to truely get to know the machine, I once again sold it off. As of recent things have settled down and I have commited to learning my new F5 and have outfitted myself with the proper tools needed to fully enjoy the hobby (propointer, proper digging tools, knee pads, etc.). I'm really not trying to discourage you from getting in to this hobby, but be prepared to commit to it if you really want to get the full experience from it. It is a great hobby! You get to be outdoors, get some exercise, and maybe find some things that could pay for that new detector in just one hunt? With that said, i'd go for something like the Garrett Ace 250, Fisher F2, or something in the beginner range. Like the others have said you can find used as well. That way you can give it a shot and see if you like it, as well as not spend so much that you can't afford to outfit yourself with the other neccessary items that will make it more enjoyable, so that you stick with it. Good luck!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy, these guys will talk your ear off, overload you with info, confuse you, etc... :laughing9:

Use a hybrid of some of these ideas.. This is what I would do. Get a price range for your detector, then print pictures of all the detectors in that price range.. Now tape said pictures on a wall and throw a dart..

The one you hit is the one you go for, and then learn that machine :thumbsup: :tongue3:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
spartacus53 said:
BuffaloBoy, these guys will talk your ear off, overload you with info, confuse you, etc...

Use a hybrid of some of these ideas.. This is what I would do. Get a price range for your detector, then prints pictures of all the detectors in that price range.. Now tape said pictures on a wall and throw a dart..

The one you hit is the one you go for, and then learn that machine :thumbsup: :tongue3:
Buffaloboy... spartacus.... Is right on here get a detector from the major brands learn it good and it will be as good as any out there................. When i got my first detector there was no treasure fourms or internet............ THANK GOD .... for one thing they will do is CONFUSE the he!! out of you....... You will not know what detector is best......... Get a detector and learn it and that is the best detector out there..........If you listen to what every one says about there detector....you will be changeing detectors like you change sox..........

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You see, it's madness, your question, you want to get into tectin. Hear now, I give you the best metal detecting advise you will ever get....Get the best tector your wallet will allow and by the jeepers, get a mentor.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't buy a cheapo. It's better to buy a good used machine than a cheap new one.

Tesoro has good machines that are deep and simple to learn. They are also 100% covered in case of trouble. In fact most times Tesoro will even fix a machine you bought used (for FREE...you just pay shipping to them).

I know of no other brand that does this.

A great starter detector is the Tesoro Silver uMax. These can be purchased used for about $125 to $175 shipped. Contact dealers selling used machines and post ads at all THing forums (look for the forums specializing in ads).

Detecting is healthy and great fun if you find some decent targets. But like I posted above, if you live in a crapy THing area, and your goal is to build a great coin collection of high value, you'd have a better chance doing that by making sideline money and investing it into coins (study and buy smart).

Knowledge is POWER!

Badger

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If you want to find older coins, you probably have to pay more than for a detector that is mostly good for new coins. Some won't beep deep, or if they do, the ID is poor. The new detectors that offer above average performance (Garrett AT Pro a good example) may cost $500+ new. You might get something decent on the used market for $200-$350.

Many of the older detectors are heavier & require more batteries.

New detectors under $300 will mostly find shallow coins, usually newer.
Coins lost 200 years ago could be 20" deep. Might need $5,000 detector!

Not knowing how much you can spend or if you'd consider used, I'm not sure what else to say. Many more things to consider, too. Features of the detector, the weight, the ease or difficulty of use (trash or treasure?). Best wishes, George (MN)

mramsoil

Mar 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i w/ Sunray DX1, D2, 6x9, & Detech 13" coils, BH300, Surfmaster Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any MD will find targets, better MDs help you sort through the trash. I'm a White's guy mostly because they have excellent service, made in the USA, and they're easy to use. JMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions