What are your most productive areas to MD?

Cranman

Dec 1, 2011
Central NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have only been MD for about 2 weeks and only got out there about 5 times. My first times out I went to the places I figured had the best chance of cool finds, a old school site, a old copper mine from the early 1800's and and two old homesites in the woods from around the mid 1900's. I didn't find much at any of the sites, a few odd coins, nothing old. At the copper mine there was too much ore, I was digging way too much and all it was was rocks and a few nails, etc.

So I moved to a church that was est. in 1904 and started checking a gravel overflow parking lot and got 24 coins in about 3 hours, although all were clad, nothing early. I did realize that if you are in a good spot you'll have more success, duh :)

Those other spots are probably good to go back to, I was (and still am) new at this hobby and I know there may still be good finds at those other locations.

So my question is: where have you had the most success? Since I found so many coins at the church I wonder if I should focus on old churches for my next few hunts?

Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My no. 1 go to spot is old farm houses, absolutely my favorite, they have old relics, buttons, tokens, coins etc.....I hunt old farms probably well over half the time I go detecting. Just super for indian pennies and old silver

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite spots are the "hunted out" areas, like county parks, ballfields, etc. That's where I go in for the kill. In 2011, I dug over 50 silver coins from 2 or 3 of these spots. I also dug a sweet 1865 2-center, early dateless large cent, nice 1920-S slq, etc, all from these areas that I was told are "cleaned out".
Like G4E mentioned, farm yards are also good, and many of them have been hunted before. I don't let that bother me. Just go low and slow.
Another of my favorite areas are the real trashy spots where you get several targets under every pass of the coil. Move low and slow, (unless you swing a Whites's, they don't like slow, not slamming them, I own a dfx). That's where the treasure's hiding.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghost town foundations have been good to me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread