Frozen ground???

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
On a REALLY good site years ago I had 2 or 3 coffee cans with lots of holes poked in the bottom half of the cans and coat hangers made handles.
I would put charcoal in all of them and start them up. When I had a decent target I would put a can on it and look for another good target and put a can on that-then dig the defrosted targets and just keep rotating them to good targets-it makes for some selective digging but it was a heck of a killer site…….
It did get pretty muddy after awhile.
Mike

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a cordless drill and get your hands on the type saw bit,i forget what theyre called,for cutting holes in doors for door knobs :wink:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
3 inch brick chisel and a 3lb. sledge hammer......NGE

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, some great ideas for gutting through the ice layer.
We just had some snow yesterday but they are calling for more warm weather on Friday. I hope to get out and try out some of these ideas.
Thanks,
ZDD

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash said:
Get a cordless drill and get your hands on the type saw bit,i forget what theyre called,for cutting holes in doors for door knobs :wink:
Thats a good idea ...never thought of that!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red James cash said:
Possible: "Core Driller Bit" or "Circular Hole cutter" I call them.
I like the Cordless (German made, Not Mexican Made) Bosh. with a back up battery.
Note: if you had a portable generator from Harbor Freight, a low cost "Heat Gun" works!
It can also warm up your hands & gloves. (Lately, I heat dry my leather boots after the day) (My extra idea).
Good luck.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a geologist pick is the quickest way to go. I just chop with the pointy end around my target and voila.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a "raven" from preditor tools...used it the other day in a frozen cornfield and it worked great.....dug a seated dime.....still alot of work though.

M Scott @ FTP said:
On a REALLY good site years ago I had 2 or 3 coffee cans with lots of holes poked in the bottom half of the cans and coat hangers made handles.
I would put charcoal in all of them and start them up. When I had a decent target I would put a can on it and look for another good target and put a can on that-then dig the defrosted targets and just keep rotating them to good targets-it makes for some selective digging but it was a heck of a killer site…….
It did get pretty muddy after awhile.
Mike

Thats a pretty good idea....and you can use it to thaw out your fingers ! :thumbsup:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some time i go out when the ground is frozen.
I take red golf tees pound them in the ground over target and go back in the early spring and dig them then.
Gary

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I was younger and could not wait to get out - was known to use a sledge hammer and larger chissel
not fun when warm even less when temps are below freezing and you slip and get your hand

Zachac

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get my first metal detector today and I am in colorado, figure once I get a target I will then have my wife sit on that spot like a mother hen and I will come back in a few hours and dig...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread